“Ok to visit if you are in vicinity ”
Review of Lau Fau Shan

Lau Fau Shan
Ranked #233 of 909 things to do in Hong Kong
Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

As this place is quite far from the city, I would suggest to visit it in conjunction with a visit to other nearby places to make it worthwhile. We visited it after doing the Ping Shan Heritage Trail at a Tin Shui Wai. From Tin Shui Wai, there’s a bus that takes you to Lau Fau Shan. A taxi ride would costs around $55. There is a muddy oyster bay which you may still see some oyster related activities depending on time of day. The Bay is rather smelly. Then there is a path flanked with shops selling dried sea food related products. Along the same path and side streets you will find restaurants where you can have seafood if you want.

All reviews
in 2 reviews
"bus"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

It’s not glitz or glam. But you can shop for fresh seafood and then get it to the restaurant and have them cook it for you.

Good for those who are not familiar with Hong Kong. It’s just a different kind of local experience.

Besides shopping for fresh seafood, you can also shop for the dried variety.

Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

Right at the end of a local bus route, the market area here is really fascinating. I saw food that I'd never seen before and some I still can't identify...but all really interesting. Beyond the market and restaurant area is a local lookout spot to watch the sunset beyond the bridge that connects Hong Kong to what the locals call "China".....which always makes me think.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

With the encroachment of large scale developments most of the fishing villages with fish markets have disappeared apart from this and the one in Lama Island. This is not as good as Lama for the restaurants being away from the waterfront so most of the tourist go to the Lama.

Lau Fau Shan is a market visited almost completely by the local Hong Kong citizens and has a distinct down to earth feel, The Market here is longer than Lama Island and I believe that more fish are sold here for the HK restaurants. It is not the easiest place to get to being a considerable drive from Hong Kong Island. The fact thatthere is no MTR close by and only a bus that visits it regularly makes it a difficult place to visit. We however were fortunate as close friends drove us there and they easily found parking nearby.

As we made our way down the path to the seaside we had a whole host of shops and restaurants to see which sadly sold the same fish produce. The whole path is covered so even on rainy days shouldn't stop you. The restaurants looked like the typical down to earth affair that the locals like to enjoy and I am sure that they are a good place to eat all the fresh seafood that you see all around you. Getting to the seafront we could see Shenzhen and a beautiful blue sky. As the tide had gone out the bay was muddy and maybe not the prettiest. However I was happy to visit this dry market as my friend called it. Unfortunately as I am not a sea food lover I have no reason to visit it again.

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 August 2017

Looking to get outside the busy cities, my family and I hopped on a bus and found ourselves in Lau Fau Shan. The tiny main street of this fishing village is more like an alleyway lined with awesome fish shops. I saw some of the largest lobsters, shrimp and many varieies of fish I was unfamiliar with. We met Ruby at Hung Kee Seafood. After picking out a huge lobster and live shrimp at Ruby's family shop, they were prepared into a delicious lunch at Shing Kee Seafood restaurant. We were treated like special guests. A very different and much more friendly experience that we had elsewhere in Hong Kong. Once know for the oyster beds, it is unfortunate that they no longer exist thanks to pollution. However, still one of the highlights of our trip. Thanks Ruby!