“Sunset at a fishing village”
Review of Lau Fau Shan

Lau Fau Shan
Ranked #230 of 899 things to do in Hong Kong
Reviewed 10 September 2017

With the encroachment of large scale developments most of the fishing villages with fish markets have disappeared apart from this and the one in Lama Island. This is not as good as Lama for the restaurants being away from the waterfront so most of the tourist go to the Lama.

Lau Fau Shan is a market visited almost completely by the local Hong Kong citizens and has a distinct down to earth feel, The Market here is longer than Lama Island and I believe that more fish are sold here for the HK restaurants. It is not the easiest place to get to being a considerable drive from Hong Kong Island. The fact thatthere is no MTR close by and only a bus that visits it regularly makes it a difficult place to visit. We however were fortunate as close friends drove us there and they easily found parking nearby.

As we made our way down the path to the seaside we had a whole host of shops and restaurants to see which sadly sold the same fish produce. The whole path is covered so even on rainy days shouldn't stop you. The restaurants looked like the typical down to earth affair that the locals like to enjoy and I am sure that they are a good place to eat all the fresh seafood that you see all around you. Getting to the seafront we could see Shenzhen and a beautiful blue sky. As the tide had gone out the bay was muddy and maybe not the prettiest. However I was happy to visit this dry market as my friend called it. Unfortunately as I am not a sea food lover I have no reason to visit it again.

All reviews
"development"
"bus"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Looking to get outside the busy cities, my family and I hopped on a bus and found ourselves in Lau Fau Shan. The tiny main street of this fishing village is more like an alleyway lined with awesome fish shops. I saw some of the largest lobsters, shrimp and many varieies of fish I was unfamiliar with. We met Ruby at Hung Kee Seafood. After picking out a huge lobster and live shrimp at Ruby's family shop, they were prepared into a delicious lunch at Shing Kee Seafood restaurant. We were treated like special guests. A very different and much more friendly experience that we had elsewhere in Hong Kong. Once know for the oyster beds, it is unfortunate that they no longer exist thanks to pollution. However, still one of the highlights of our trip. Thanks Ruby!

Reviewed 23 June 2017

I have been to this place twice. It's a fishing village and there are lots of dried seafood stuffs. On good days, you can see catch them open big fresh oysters!

Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

Its really amazing to see another side of HongKong. Ive never seen a fisher village in HK before and i saw so many types and sizes of fishes and others. You also get rewarded with a great view if you walk down straight to the seaside

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 February 2017

My brother-in-law took us to a seafood restaurant in Lau Fau Shan tonight and although I had lived and worked in HK for several years, I had never been to this waterfront area of seafood stalls and restaurants, which also has a steamy and (nowadays) smog-obscured view of Shenzhen. I think one earlier reviewer had it right with the suggestion that Sai Kung has the more pleasant location, but we did enjoy the view, even with the bad air, and we had some excellent seafood here, so I would recommend that hardy travelers come and investigate.
We ate at an establishment called Hsin To Yun Hoi Hsin Jau Jia (or in Mandarin: the Xin Tao Yuan Haixian Jiujia, zheng da jie no. 32), on the left as you go down the alley, and by 7 p.m. the place was packed. Most of the people brought their own wine and/or hard liquor, so I gather this is the thing to do there. We had clams in black-bean sauce, "big head" prawns, sweet-and-sour fish bits (it may have been a kind of garoupa), deep-fried oysters, some mustard greens, small (sweet) shrimp, and rounding it off, some deep-fried ribs. By the time we got to the ribs, we had room for only a few (we took a box of them home). I thoroughly enjoyed the clams, and the large prawns were best of all.
If I had any criticism, it might have been that the batter the oysters were prepared in -- very similar to a concoction used for a taro dish in Yumcha establishments, but I'm not sure what they call it -- may have been a bit too light. But all the dishes were superb.
Since we didn't pay for this one, I'm not sure about the price range, but it might have been about 1500 HK dollars for four (and we brought our own wine).
Highly recommendable.