Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Beijing Great Wall Hiking
More Info
All reviews great wall hiking hiking tour starting point day hike amazing hike mutianyu section breathtaking views great trip parts forest tower china gloves van
Reviewed 8 June 2018

This is honestly an amazing hike.
We wanted to see and unrestored section of the wall, but not do a tour, after abit of research I found Here is Bejing from another review. I checked the website and we decided to do the Jiankou Great Wall (Zhengbeilou-Mutianyu 1-Day Hike)
I contacted John well in advance and he got back to me promptly, reserving one of 3 days for us
Closer to the time he got back to me with a date, saying we could share the van with 2 others to reduce the cost
He picked us up on time from our hotel and we drove the 2 hours to the wall
we stopped at a small village with a couple of shops to get some food and fruit on the way. Here is gave us a detailed orientation and some maps
When we arrived he gave us some walking poles (take them!) which were greatly appreciated and took us to the starting point of the hike
We had to hike though the forest to get to the wall (think we went the wrong way but as we got closer to it we followed the voices and found the starting tower)
You can climb the tower and even go on the roof for some amazing panaramic views

The hike was hard as it was very hot and steep. The hardest (and most rewarding) part was the oxbow ridge as it was so steep. We stopped for the top for lunch before slowly making our way down a very steep and slippery hill, which took us a while (I would recommend walking boots, we forgot to bring ours to China but luckily had good walking sandals)

You eventually get to the restored Mutianyu section where you will be asked to buy a ticket for 40 cny and then climb over
Despite it being a Sunday this section was t to busy at all (nothing like Badaling)

We were abit unsure where to come down and ended up being about half an hour late (we were going for the tabogan but ran out of time to get there so walked down from tower 8}
We text John on the cell phone he gave us telling him we were hurrying as were aware 2 others were waiting for us, however he text back telling us not to rush and to stay safe

When we made it back down no one minded we were a bit late and John took some pictures of us and gave us each a special gift

Overall I would highly recommended using this service, it wasn’t expensive and was a fantastic experience
The veiws all the way were amazing and beautiful and was lolvey knowing we didn’t have to worry about anything

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

Unbelievable and amazing site. Please note the steps are not even or level. Every second step are lunges not stepping. In April it was cold and very windy. Need jackets, gloves and touques. Not for people with bad backs, bad knees or bad hearts.

Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

You can’t visit Beijing without visiting the Great Wall, it’s just not done it’s overwhelming in every way there is. The enormity of its size, its vast history, and its breathtaking views are indescribable.

Reviewed 2 December 2017

its a long hike, many people usually give up half way.
Make sure you carry a water bottle and not too much of weight (cameras and so on)
comfortable shoes, nothing too warm.
There are also few small shops on the way up the staircases for some snacks and souvenirs too.
Better to visit in weather when its more greener as during winters the lands around the hike up are all brown (no greenery) not the best for photography. The whole area is monitored by CCTV and quite secure however, in china its best practice to carry your backpack to the front (and you'll notice that around, in any city you visit)
Usually in guided tours they offer a photograph in the end of the tour along with a certificate of climbing the wall at a small price.

Reviewed 28 September 2017

I hired John with hereisbeijing.com for the Great Wall hike. He drove me and one other hiker to the trailhead at Jiankou and picked us up at Mutianyu at the end of the day. John gave us tons of information about the hike and picked me up right next to my hostel. He was very easy to get in touch with and responded quickly to messages. I highly recommend using John as a driver to the wall! The wild wall portion of the hike was stunning and we saw very few tourists in this section. You need to be relatively fit and have good footwear to do this hike as there are some very steep portions. Definitely worth a visit if you have the time!