“Different experience”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$63.00*
and up
Private Hiking Day Tour to Mutianyu Great Wall...
Ranked #36 of 153 Outdoor Activities in Beijing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Jin Private Great Wall Hiking and Camping Tours is one of the most knowledgeable and trusted tour guide companies based in Beijing. We specialize in personalized, custom designed Great Wall Hiking and Forbiddencity,Tian'anmen sqare,Summer Place ...Beijing tour with your complete satisfaction in mind. Whether you're a solo traveler, with your family or in a group, we guarantee your delight as we go with you on unforgettable adventures through the wonders of Beijing even China! You choose us tour you choose right ! Our will give nice trip!!!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 2 December 2017

its a long hike, many people usually give up half way.
Make sure you carry a water bottle and not too much of weight (cameras and so on)
comfortable shoes, nothing too warm.
There are also few small shops on the way up the staircases for some snacks and souvenirs too.
Better to visit in weather when its more greener as during winters the lands around the hike up are all brown (no greenery) not the best for photography. The whole area is monitored by CCTV and quite secure however, in china its best practice to carry your backpack to the front (and you'll notice that around, in any city you visit)
Usually in guided tours they offer a photograph in the end of the tour along with a certificate of climbing the wall at a small price.

Date of experience: January 2017
in 3 reviews
"backpack"
"van"

Reviewed 28 September 2017

I hired John with hereisbeijing.com for the Great Wall hike. He drove me and one other hiker to the trailhead at Jiankou and picked us up at Mutianyu at the end of the day. John gave us tons of information about the hike and picked me up right next to my hostel. He was very easy to get in touch with and responded quickly to messages. I highly recommend using John as a driver to the wall! The wild wall portion of the hike was stunning and we saw very few tourists in this section. You need to be relatively fit and have good footwear to do this hike as there are some very steep portions. Definitely worth a visit if you have the time!

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed 15 August 2017

We looked for options on how to experience the Great Wall, and stumbled across this page. I read a lot of positive feedback.
We booked the tour/hike 4 days a head and agreed on the pick up address (our hotel).

Saturday morning, just before 8 in the morning, Jin showed up in front of the hotel in a comfortable car, just for me and my girlfriend - and then we were off to the wall. About a 2 hour drive from the central Beijing.

We then arrived as the firsts individuals/tourist at "Huanghuacheng" and started to climb the wall. The whole thing took us around 3 hours, and it was an amazing experience with beautiful views. Jin is a very cool guy, he taught us some history and answered our questions.

After the hike we had lunch (included, along with bottles of water) at a restaurant that served local Beijing cuisine. Delicious.

After that, we decided to head back to the hotel to get the most out of our short weekend trip. Same transit time, about 2 hours.

Recap: Amazing day trip, 100% worth the price. Do not hesitate to book your trip to the Great Wall with Jin and his company.
They know what they are doing, and only you will set the limit.

Fully recommendable.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed 6 July 2017

We did a 10K hike with Jin on the Great Wall in mid May, and it was fabulous. We got lucky because a lot of factories had been shut down around Beijing because of the Belt and Road Summit, so the air was pure and our photos had amazing, clear blue skies.

Jin was wonderful. He literally spent a 10 hour day with us - picked us up at our hotel and drove us beyond Mutianyu and Jiankou to a remote area that even Chinese people rarely see. Parts of the hike were pretty challenging, requiring climbing up over boulders, down rocky sections, and there was one section near the end which was more rock climbing than hiking. This was the 38 Big Steps which are literally at 80 degrees, nearly sheer vertical. Jin patiently helped us up when we needed help. His insights and information all along the trail were interesting.

The Great Wall hike was one of the best moments of my life. I've been all over the world and have seen and done many things, but this hike was one of the best. Our hike was challenging (which we asked for), but wonderful. Do be sure to tell Jin if you feel any parts of the trail are too challenging, and he can always find a way around. I can't recommend him highly enough.

Date of experience: May 2017
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 June 2017

Me and my mum did the great wall hiking tour from Jiankou to Mutianyu. First of all, Jin was super super nice and when I saw in the weather forecast that is would rain the day we planned our hiking tour I ask if we could change the date. That was absolutely no problem and we are still so thankful for that! It was an absolutely great trip, these two parts (especially the part at Jiankou) have been amazing. So much nature and nearly no other people than us. I definitely recommend to book a trip with Jin, the pick-up was punctual and convenient. Thanks for this experience, Jin!

Date of experience: May 2017

Been to Beijing Great Wall Hiking? Share your experiences!