“Good ride but everything else awful!”

Balloon Safaris Ltd.
More attraction details
Owner description: The ORIGINAL Hot Air Ballooning Company. Flying over the world famous Maasai Mara game reserve in Kenya since 1976.
Reviewed 8 January 2018

The 2 hr transfer from our camp was terrible. In an old noisy, unsafe Land Rover fording rivers and sliding into trees in a thunderstorm. It was terrifying. The balloon ride went ahead In the rain and mist which I understand is a normal occurrence. If so,why is the breakfast not under some kind of cover? The napkins wer wringing wet as we’re the chairs. Altogether a very disappointing and expensive experience.

2  Thank Grannyglam
"landing"
"flight"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 17 December 2017 via mobile

What an incredible experience for my first hot air ballon experience. While getting up at 4 am ish was not my preferred wake up time on vacation, seeing the sunrise from a hot air balloon was an amazing experience. Having a mimosa with a breakfast buffet on the bush was very cool.

Also service was great. My boyfriend and another person were sick and could not make the trip. They are working with us to give us a refund.

1  Thank Mary S
Reviewed 19 November 2017

Wherever you stay at Masai Mara (I was staying at the Fig Tree), take advantage of the opportunity for a balloon ride if you possibly can. To be up in the air over the plains with the wildebeest and zebra migrations beneath you is a "National Geographic" experience that is absolutely not to be missed -- it was the high point of my entire two week photo safari, and that (as you can imagine!) is saying a lot!

1  Thank SoloNYer
Reviewed 23 October 2017

I had taken a balloon safari in the central Serengeti in Tanzania which was wonderful. Knowledgeable guides and a wonderful breakfast set up afterwards. I thought I would have the same experience in the Massai Mara. But, no, I did not. The pilot and employees running our balloon were Asian. That in of itself was not the problem -- the problem was that the pilot said he had only been there a couple of months and he knew nothing of the animals. He also had a camera attached to the balloon and if you were on the side where it was hanging by cables, the cables got in the way of most of your photographs. He kept telling us to smile for the camera about every 10 minutes. Very annoying. Our ride in the central Serengeti was much better -- no camera hanging off the balloon. The pilots were local and very knowledgeable. They took our photo at the beginning of our trip before we took off. No hassle during our flight. The breakfast provided by the Asian company was kind of a buffet and mainly fruit and cheeses. The one in the central Serengeti was a sit down hot breakfast with eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. So much better. Maybe there were so many people wanting to take the balloon safari (it was at the peak of the migration season there) and the company had to hire extra balloons, etc. There must have been at least 10 balloons in the air at the same time. I've done at least 6 balloon rides (in the U.S.) and this was the first time that I was disappointed. Maybe you can have your travel agent inquire about the length of time a balloon company has been in that area. Something to think about.

2  Thank debmcb2017