“Half day tour to avoid”
Review of Koridoor Tours

Koridoor Tours
Ranked #27 of 123 Tours in Seoul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Experience Korean Culture and Lifestyle with ‘KoriDoor’. We wish to create a Korean adventure as a first-time open gate for those people who want to know about the real Korea. We are ready to invite those coming to Korea an opportunity for great fun, total excitement, and many fascinating things to learn. We provide foreigners from the all of the world a chance to meet and make friends and share their life experience in Korea. There are many Korean friends who want to exchange their cultural knowledge with people from other countries. Are you ready to join us? There are many places waiting for you such as the DMZ, Jeju island, and other unknown, mysterious and beautiful locations. We will also organize many activity trips such as rafting, paintball, bungee jumping, cycling, skiing, traditional paper-making and more. We hope to offer you a stunning tour, and to make your experience in Korea a satisfying one with ‘KoriDoor.’ All you need to do is pay the fee, turn up for the bus, and everything else is taken care of for you.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase
Reviewed February 25, 2018

I booked the DMZ and JSA on the internet one month before my trip in Korea for my mother and I. I double checked the night before the departure time of the day tour. I made a mistake and showed up on the wrong time. It was written 10:30am on the website but 7:30am on the email booking (which was not really clear to me, even though I traveled all around the world and booked many kind day tour so far...). I know it is my responsibility for missing the departure. However, it is also the company’s responsibility to make it clear for their customers. At the office, 2 women were not really talkative with us, they were working on their computer at the same time, it is like they did not really care about us.
As it was not possible to get a refund due to their policy, the woman rescheduled the trip only for myself 2 days later (on the half day tour instead of the full day tour they offer). I said yes, I did not want to lose all the money.
The second chance, I showed up in advance. The group was only 7 people in a bus of 50 seats. On the day list, I’ve seen more names but I guess they didn’t make it to the departure on time, I don’t know. We left Seoul on time and visited the first stop Unification bridge. Due to Pyeongchang Olympics closing ceremony that day, the border was crowded of media and opposants because of North Korean Officials coming to South Korea (heading to the Olympics). It did not allow us to visit the 3rd tunnel. I think the company could have anticipated the event... The guide decided to skip it, which is unfair. Therefore we made it to Dora Observatory, we spent plenty of time there because the guide did not really know what to do with us; that was long. Also, we were on a Sunday tour, the restaurant was not open on Sunday so we skipped it as well. On the itinerary, it was written more stops but I did not see them (only Unification Bridge and Dora observatory). We were supposed to arrive in Seoul around 2pm according to the itinerary, but we left the DMZ at 11:30pm and arrived in Seoul at 12:20pm. The price is very expensive for what the company actually offers. By the way, the staff is not really friendly. I did several day tour from Seoul (and in the world before) with different companies and this one was definitely the worst. I would not recommand it at all costs. It is a waste of time and money as well, use your time to visit interesting places with interesting guides (and choose an other company if you want to visit the DMZ). I was happy to be back in Seoul to forget this miserable half day tour.

1  Thank Hélène G
"jsa area"
"military escort"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed February 11, 2018

Dana and Sophie were really very good guides. They are very friendly and I would highly recommend this tour to my friends. The DMZ and JSA tour isn't cheap, but it was all worth it cos I learned so much about Korea. Thank you Koridoor Tours!

2  Thank Emmz M
Reviewed February 6, 2018

I did the DMZ/JSA tour with Koridoor and while it was in many ways a deeply weird experience, this was entirely owing to the strained atmosphere and deathly quiet of the DMZ which is broken mainly by propaganda broadcasts from both sides of the border.

Email communication with Koridoor was good although when I emailed to tell them I'd paid (by bank transfer) and giving the reference I'd used they emailed back asking for a receipt of this - however they soon confirmed my payment. Instructions for getting to Camp Kim were clear and easy to follow.

Our guide was Vincent, whose English was excellent and who kept us informed and moving throughout the day. At the JSA a US military policeman took over as escort and guide; he was also informative but spoke very quickly and quite quietly. I suspect non-native English speakers would have struggled to understand much of what he said. The rules for when you can take photos etc. at the JSA are strict and strictly enforced and there's a very tense air about the place.

An extra 1,000 won were needed to get onto the platform at the Dorasan station (worth it) and you need 500 won coins to use the binoculars at the observatory (there is a lady giving change). Lunch at the cafeteria-style restaurant near the station was pretty good - we were a small group so all had to have bulgogi for 10,000 won; normally there's bibimbap too which is a little cheaper. Some people brought a packed lunch and ate it in the same restaurant.

There is a bit of free time to wander at every stop - slightly too much perhaps but that's the nature of tours.

We were back in Seoul shortly after 3pm.

1  Thank Joanne H
Reviewed January 20, 2018 via mobile

Not many tour arrange for the JSA visit. We were lucky enough to join the tour.

Despite your tour guide injured her hand, she was very professional and explain all things in detail with us.

The reception was extremely helpful and they response to email was very efficient.

Will definitely join them with other tour again.

1  Thank Alywin Y
See more reviews
Reviewed January 7, 2018

I first did this tour of the DMZ and JSA in 2010, and for a second time in January 2018.

In 2010 the tour was reasonably casual at the Joint Security Area--visitors were free to wander a bit and take photos of basically anything. Then the bus stopped right outside the meeting buildings. We could look around for 30 or more minutes.

In 2018 the US solider leading the tour was very strict. The bus stopped behind the main South Korean building. Tour visitors had to form two lines, no photography unless permitted, etc. We were led out of the main building and had to stand in two lines on the steps. We were only permitted during a short period of time to take photos but all backgrounds on photos must be of the North. Photos with anything South related in the background were not permitted. We were very briefly led in two lines into the Military Armistice Commission (MAC) Building (those blue buildings you see in media which straddle the border). Again very tense with restrictions on photos, direction they must be taken etc.

The visit to the JSA was over in about 15 minutes and very little of it could be seen. Now there is no visit to the site of the 1976 Axe Murder of the Bridge of No Return. Having done the tour before I know those sites were right by where we were allowed to go. I guess if you have never done the tour before you would be none-the-wiser.

Overall, this will always be a unique and interesting tour, but I guess due to security circumstances outside of the control of the tour, it has become very brief, strict, and limited.

3  Thank Cole C