“DMZ and JSA tour”

Koridoor Tours
Ranked #28 of 135 Tours in Seoul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Experience Korean Culture and Lifestyle with ‘KoriDoor’. We wish to create a Korean adventure as a first-time open gate for those people who want to know about the real Korea. We are ready to invite those coming to Korea an opportunity for great fun, total excitement, and many fascinating things to learn. We provide foreigners from the all of the world a chance to meet and make friends and share their life experience in Korea. There are many Korean friends who want to exchange their cultural knowledge with people from other countries. Are you ready to join us? There are many places waiting for you such as the DMZ, Jeju island, and other unknown, mysterious and beautiful locations. We will also organize many activity trips such as rafting, paintball, bungee jumping, cycling, skiing, traditional paper-making and more. We hope to offer you a stunning tour, and to make your experience in Korea a satisfying one with ‘KoriDoor.’ All you need to do is pay the fee, turn up for the bus, and everything else is taken care of for you.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

Not many tour arrange for the JSA visit. We were lucky enough to join the tour.

Despite your tour guide injured her hand, she was very professional and explain all things in detail with us.

The reception was extremely helpful and they response to email was very efficient.

Will definitely join them with other tour again.

1  Thank Alywin Y
in 2 reviews
"credit card number"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 7 January 2018

I first did this tour of the DMZ and JSA in 2010, and for a second time in January 2018.

In 2010 the tour was reasonably casual at the Joint Security Area--visitors were free to wander a bit and take photos of basically anything. Then the bus stopped right outside the meeting buildings. We could look around for 30 or more minutes.

In 2018 the US solider leading the tour was very strict. The bus stopped behind the main South Korean building. Tour visitors had to form two lines, no photography unless permitted, etc. We were led out of the main building and had to stand in two lines on the steps. We were only permitted during a short period of time to take photos but all backgrounds on photos must be of the North. Photos with anything South related in the background were not permitted. We were very briefly led in two lines into the Military Armistice Commission (MAC) Building (those blue buildings you see in media which straddle the border). Again very tense with restrictions on photos, direction they must be taken etc.

The visit to the JSA was over in about 15 minutes and very little of it could be seen. Now there is no visit to the site of the 1976 Axe Murder of the Bridge of No Return. Having done the tour before I know those sites were right by where we were allowed to go. I guess if you have never done the tour before you would be none-the-wiser.

Overall, this will always be a unique and interesting tour, but I guess due to security circumstances outside of the control of the tour, it has become very brief, strict, and limited.

4  Thank Cole C
Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

We had Dana as our tour guide and I prebooked about a month prior to the tour.

I see many reviewers posting concerns regarding the credit card but I would like to dispell this myth - I agree sending the credit card number over email is not acceptable, but on properly reading the confirmation email, it is clearly written you can SWIFT the money through your bank via international transfer, which any reputable bank can do, and this is how I paid. After sending my SWIFT confirmation I promptly received a booking confirmation from Koridoor. It is incorrect to say that the company forces you to email them your credit card number, and if you did so, it was entirely your choice after not reading the confirmation email properly.

The tour is well organised and what I really appreciated was Dana being very honest with us, including pre warning us we would see South Korean Propaganda at the 3rd Tunnel, and telling us we can easily get filtered water at the cafeteria so no need to buy the bottled water. Dana also made sure she repeated herself in the 3rd tunnel so people at the back wouldn't miss out once they moved to the front.

The observation point was fascinating and at every moment Dana updated us with how many minutes until the next stop.

The US guides at the JSA were good, but no DPRK KPA soldiers were on duty when we went, luck of the draw.

I could find no fault with the tour, it was an efficiently run operation. Highly recommended.

2  Thank Beachednarwhal
Reviewed 24 December 2017

Visiting the JSA is truly a must when visiting South Korea. I took the tour of the DMZ, JSA, and the 3rd Tunnel with Koridoor. Koridoor is one of only a few companies that has tours to the JSA.

My Koridoor tour guide was Vincent, who also was the individual I corresponded with before my tour in October. Vincent was an interesting tour guide who provided many stories about North and South Korea. Vincent also spoke good English, which was easy to understand on the loud speaker of the bus.

The highlight of the tour was the JSA. Now unfortunately the military escort who was our tour guide of the JSA was extremely poor. He provided next to no information. A few people on the bus who had previously taken the tour also noted they felt the JSA tour guide was poor. This is just the luck of the draw and does not reflect on the Koridoor tour guide. Even though the US Military escort was poor, the JSA is absolutely fascinating. Being able to technically "step" into North Korea is incredible.

Now I do agree with other reviews about concerns over payment. The only way to reserve the tour was by paying for it in the most outdated way. I ended up having to provide my credit card information via email, which is just not secure. In this day and age, especially in South Korea, please use a secure system of payment (Paypal would be better than nothing!).

Another comment was the amount of people on the tour. The tour was crammed with not a seat to spare on the bus. Koridoor could easily have 4 to 6 less people on the tour, which would make the bus experience just a little better.

1  Thank Lindsay A
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 December 2017

We booked the tour online and paid via email. As per other reviewers' comments, I did feel a bit surprised when they asked for payments via email (where I had to quote my credit card number and details).

Despite, that the office and Camp Kim was easy enough to find Seoul and its next to several metro stations. They provide a handy map to locate them.

The guide had great stories and information and probably a few years of experience. The content was sufficient and the logistics was flawless. There will always be a few stragglers getting back to the bus later than the group. Despite that, the tour delivered although it was not a perfect execution. No shopping on this tour, but we did drive by the annual ginseng festival. Bus was comfortable and sufficient.

My review of the places that we visited on the tour will be on their individual attractions' page here on Tripadvisor.