“Great Introduction to Korean Alcohol”

The Sool Company - Korean Alcohol Tours
Ranked #18 of 45 Food & Drink in Seoul
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover a truly unique insight into Korean culture with traditional alcohol tours. Experience makeolli, cheongju, soju and more with local specialists dedicated to all things 'Sool'.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Our evening with Julia was one of the highlights of my family's trip to Korea! We loved learning about traditional Korean alcohol and the history behind it. The food was delicious and the atmosphere of the particular bar was great. It was a relaxing yet informative evening. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to learn more about Korean alcohol or just looking for a fun and engaging night in Seoul.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Julia M, Owner at The Sool Company - Korean Alcohol Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

It was a pleasure meeting you and your family! Thank you for the lovely review, expect an update in your inbox soon with some resources on how to brew your own :) I hope they had a great trip here, and keep in touch if you need more sool!

All reviews
"pace"
"stops"
"art"

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We had the BEST time on a Makgeoli-tasting tour through the lovely traditional neighborhood of Insadong. Our guide for the evening was the effervescent Julia, an Australian who has been living in Korea studying traditional Korean alcohol for 11 years, so she knows her stuff! We explored Insadong's atmospheric back alleys and made three stops at cool old hanok restaurants/taverns where we got to try a variety of unusual makgeolis and delicious food including a variety of jeon (fried pancakes) and the best bossam (pork wrapped in cabbage leaves) I've ever had. Julia was incredibly knowledgable and an incredibly fun dinner companion - we didn't want the night to end! This tour will be the highlight of any visit to Seoul - I highly recommend you check it out!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

This is such a lovely review, thank you so much for taking the time!! I also had a wonderful time with you guys, I'm sure we could have gone on for many hours more! Let me know anytime if you have any queries about more good spots to check out while you're still a local :)

Reviewed 12 February 2018

Had an amazing day learning to make makgeolli, with sample to try for inspiration, of course. Julie was a thorough and fun teacher and the follow on tour we did with her in a master brewer's house was equally informative and delicious.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thanks for taking the time to write a review for us! I am keen to hear how your brew turns out after you get back from your travels.... be sure to keep in touch and let me know if you have any questions :)

Reviewed 5 February 2018

Had a great time understanding makkoli, the history and the culture behind it. Even had a chance to make our own makkoli. Sadly, we were not able to bring the sample back home for fear of custom restrictions.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Glad you had a good time! I hope you get a chance to make it yourself at home, it's awesome to have a supply of your own fresh makgeolli in the fridge :) Let me know if you have any questions!

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 January 2018

I had tasted makgeolli, but never knew the fascinating history behind this national drink. So many people try soju (and don't like it) they don't take the time to try good makgeolli, it's naturally sweet and mild cousin.

Julia is a wonderful guide and teacher. We experienced a tasting session and then literally got our hands dirty brewing up a batch of our own makgeolli. Along the way, we laughed, learned and didn't waste a single grain. I didn't want to leave the lab, it was so much fun.

Can't wait to join back up with my friends for a tasting session of our own special brews (2 weeks of fermenting and we will be ready to taste!) We're even getting back together at home to make a second batch. Practice makes perfect!

The Sool C, Owner at The Sool Company - Korean Alcohol Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2018

Thank you so much for the great review!! I have to say that the time simply flew by and we probably could have stayed in the lab much longer ;) I'm so glad to hear that you are all continuing to meet up to taste and brew....brewing makgeolli is the hobby that keeps on giving! I hope we can taste your creations sometimes soon!