All reviews hotel is located within walking distance nice neighborhood front desk the air conditioning swimming pool habitat humanity units mall paraguay city museo
Reviewed 21 August 2017

Stayed here on three different occasions during a recent birding trip. Was very satisfied with the hotel. It the US I would have rated this a three, but in Paraguay it is a four. The staff were friendly and helpful. They have nice buffet breakfast starting at 6 each morning. We ate dinner there on several occasions. Each time it was a buffet and the food was varied and well-prepared. They have wine, beer and mixed drinks available.
We had three different rooms. All were more than adequate. None were large but all were reasonably furnished. Beds varied from being firm to rather soft. All were equipped with both a ceiling fan and air conditioning. AC units were quiet and worked well. They have a small courtyard in the back of the hotel with a swimming pool and a nicely landscaped section
Hotel was extremely quiet at night even when e had a soccer team from Encarnacion in the hotel

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Art H
Reviewed 8 August 2017

I stayed there for a week when I first moved to Asuncion and I downloaded a graphics program while there using the land line and then they charged me hundreds of dollars for that call. What they did was charge me as if I was using a cell phone which is many times more expensive. I was new to Asuncion and didn't know anyone and so felt defenseless and so just paid it. That is what they use against gringos- their defenselessness. Those people are thieves. avoid them

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled solo
1  Thank ScrewedInAsuncion
Reviewed 31 May 2017 via mobile

I was with Habitat for Humanity in Asunción for 1 week. We stayed at Portal Del Sol and had a lovely time. The hotel was clean and the coffee was delicious. Although some people in our group had issues with limited hot water, my room (33) had plenty of hot water and the air conditioning was great. Another benefit was Luis at the front desk. He was incredibly helpful in EVERY way and was so pleasant everyday, especially, with 16 women with muddy trousers and boots. I will certainly return.

Stayed: May 2017, traveled on business
2  Thank Bates451
Reviewed 21 January 2017 via mobile

It was my first time in Asuncion. The hotel is nice and the staff tries to help you in any way. English is not really common, but they were able to help me. Some of the staff speak german aswell.
The rooms have the basics and are clean. Breakfast and dinner is good. Around the hotel you find some restaurants.

Stayed: January 2017, traveled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2016

This hotel is located in what has now become the new hub in the city of Asunción. There are numerous shopping malls, restaurants and attractions nearby. At a cost of roughly $50 per night, I'd say it's not a bad deal. Other establishments (recognizably better) are two to three times more expensive. So Portal del Sol is comparatively speaking, a cheap place to stay.

So here are the goodies: it's got all the basics... WiFi (quite slow at times), breakfast included, cable TV (old units), A/C in rooms, and other amenities. The building itself is full of green; there are trees and plants everywhere. It also has a nice outdoors pool. In short, there is little that a traveler seeking for a one to two night stay wouldn't find.

Here are the not-so-goodies: the food is at best, very basic. The dining area is tiny and lacks proper air conditioning. Parking is limited as well. The beds are not comfortable at all: they are hard and the mattresses seem pulled out of last century.

All in all, I would definitely stay here again because not only do you get what you paid for, but there's also nothing to absolutely disqualify the place. If you're planning on staying in the city for more than a couple of nights, and you can afford a higher price tag, then by all means go for it. If not, Portal del Sol might just fit you fine.

• Stayed: January 2016, traveled solo