Book In Advance

from US$750.00
from US$2,800.00
from US$750.00
More Info
All reviews fruit change money jewelry pickpockets vendors clock trend chaotic phones structure
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

I was told that under no circumstances should go inside the Market without a local person. The cast iron building with a corrugated clock tower was great looking. The market itself was established in the late 1700s, but the current structure was built in 1880. I only visited the outside part which was lively. Had I not had difficulties walking I would
indeed have ventured inside the building. But I had a flavor of what it was like

1  Thank reise-tanta-di
Reviewed 18 January 2018 via mobile

This market is like Aladdin’s Cave I would think you could buy almost anything in there! It was busy and chaotic but if you are up for it give it a go. However as always in a very crowded area perhaps good to practice a degree of self care and stay vigilant.

2  Thank paddiperkins
Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

Yes you will be over charged but who cares you on vocation and you get the benefits of the exchange rate. The moment you get to the market you will want to take a picture of the beautiful sign and the clock and the locals selling you everything from fruits to clothes. Don't buy on the outside the deeper in the market you go the cheaper stuff gets. Explore make a few hours of the experience get lost find your way again. Buy some fruits learn about the spices and other products. Sit down and have some Guyanese food and a local drink. If you u still feeling more adventurous on the side of the market you can take a speed boat over to the west Bank and come back. It is a decent size boat. My father was telling me about the days they would run a ground and u would be stuck but I think those were the old days. I really enjoyed my visit to the market and taking the ferry ride.

1  Thank Clive P
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

It was a complex experience because you were having a multiple amount of competing experience within the market

1  Thank Roger R
Reviewed 9 August 2017

We walked thru the market, it was loud and smelled like herbs and spices, lots of vendors indoors and out, I would definitely go with a local. Some locals won't go there. Be very careful with your wallets and purses. All the buses stop there to transfer so there are so many people. It's cool to see, but once is enough.

1  Thank jcroninmargaret