“Amazing food and great experience”
Review of Gustu

Gustu
Ranked #23 of 513 Restaurants in La Paz
Cuisines: South American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: GUSTU works exclusively with Bolivian native products, transforming them in a trip through Bolivian richness and diversity.
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We were really excited to try the food here after hearing the story and knowing that the food is locally sourced. We were not disappointed. Our only disappointment was we didn’t do the extended version! We also did the wine matching and were excited to try some high altitude Bolivian wines, that did not disappoint! Amazing food, service and atmosphere. So glad we got to experience this!

Silvana G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gustu, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dear George,

Reviewed 28 March 2018

I didn't expect fine dining on my trip to Bolivia, so this place really blew me away. It was quite simply the best meal I've had all year. Claus Meyer opened the restaurant a few years ago, bringing his Noma-style emphasis on local foods and incredible 20-course meals (I highly recommend the New Yorker's excellent profile of Gustu to learn more about the restaurant's fascinating history and mission).

Bottom line: Gustu is a special place that is almost single-handedly putting Bolivia on the foodie map. I firmly believe no visit to La Paz is complete without a meal here. Just go!

Dear ReadyForThisJelly,

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Me and my husband came here after much planning and we were absolutely blown away .first word of advice-don’t each for at least 4/5 hours prior to going definitely arrive here hungry because you will be absolutely satisfied and full when you leave . The restaurant is amazing , great views of mountains surrounding it , an open glass encased kitchen and dark woods make this place feel intimate , cosy and high end . We ordered a la carte but next time we will opt for the tasting menu for sure . Tip - call ahead and ask for chefs table , they told us that you could call ahead they recommended 1-2 weeks ahead for no additional cost they give you chefs table . The tastes are all based on local farmers foods , the service was phenomenal and the tastes and how they incorporate local flavors , culture and tradition is impressive ! We cannot wait to return .

1  Thank Cass401

Dear Cass401,

Reviewed 28 March 2018

First I have to mention how wonderful Gustu was with us changing our booking due to a flight cancellation. It was very much appreciated as we would have been gutted to miss out.

When we arrived we were taken right to our table, both of us facing toward the kitchen. All tables of two were seated that way, I think. We were given the option of the tasting menu or a la carte. We came for the tasting menu specifically so we already knew we were having it.

There's little point rehashing the courses as they change but let me say that everything was fantastic. Usually at a tasting menu I find the occasional course is boring, or overwhelming, or even a bit try-hard, but using only Bolivian sourced ingredients everything was on point.

Our drinks - A Cocktail and Pink Is My Favourite Colour - were amazing. Order the former just to look at it!

We had a chance to speak with the restaurant manager about Claus Meyer and why he chose Bolivia, where the staff came from and other random questions. We really appreciated that.

Lastly, the service was fantastic. I mentioned hating bananas and was told by a server that there was banana in a balsamic vinegar. I said I would have it, no problem, and was genuinely touched when he returned later in the evening to ask specifically if it was "too much banana, or okay?" An increasingly rare kind of service.

Expectations exceeded in every aspect. I'd love to go back and would highly recommend.

Dear Wherelolawent,

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Did the 18 course with shared matching wines... well worth the experience with lots of local ingredients and wines, and twists on local dishes. Service was excellent, each dish and drink coming out in timely fashion and explained thoroughly. Definitely a splurge on the wallet, but good value considering and a chance to dine at a Noma offshoot. Note it is 30 mins by taxi from central La Paz.

1  Thank afaithlee87