1,302 results
All reviews cellar bar east jerusalem pasha room palm house summer garden lawrence of arabia damascus gate leading hotels of the world old city call to prayer main building historic hotel garden restaurant modern amenities junior suite wonderful hotel nice pool
Reviewed 30 October 2018 via mobile

Our first time in Jerusalem on a family visit. The American Colony was recommended to us by our travel agent in fact after we could not get rooms at the David. However, we loved the style ambiance and almost boutique feel of the American Colony and were very pleased to have gone with this option. Easy walking (or running) distance from the Old Town or via the tram service, but what is the most special is the beautiful surroundings, the courtyard restaurant covered in flowers and the fabulous pool area (although was getting a bit cold for that in late October) and the garden bar which feels like stepping back in time. We also loved the wonderful Aladdin’s Cave of a gift shop in the grounds. A truly special place.

Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank C0pelama
Reviewed 29 October 2018

This was my second trip to Israel but I must say that my stay at the American Colony has been absolutely marvellous. All the members of the staff make you feel at home. As a solo female traveler I walked to the Old City almost daily and I felt perfectly safe. The Junior Suite was spotlessly clean and it was great to relax in such a wonderful oasis. The complimentary bottles of mineral water and the dish of fresh fruit were also greatly appreciated. I can’t wait to enjoy my second stay! Thanks for a great sejour.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed 28 October 2018 via mobile

This is a charming small hotel in East Jerusalem. Only 10 minutes walk from the old city. The staff are extraordinarily helpful. Nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are very comfortable. The pool area is delightful. There are 2 restaurants. Until the end of October both are outside, 1 in a pretty courtyard and 1 in a garden area. The latter has a charcoal grill and the barbecued lamb chops should not be missed. I wouldn’t stay anywhere else in Jerusalem.
It has a fascinating history and has retained its historical feel.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shirley R
Reviewed 25 October 2018

Exhausted after tramping Jerusalem, old and new, we could retire to two serene shady courtyards to drink and eat, or the pool. Pros = close to Damascus gate so basically the whole of the old City is walkable from here. Alternatively taxis to Jaffa Gate on the almost far side, are NIS30 on the meter, 50 off meter during busy periods (fx rate 3.5 NIS to USD). Service comes with a smile if a little slow by international standards. Food in restaurants is excellent. When we ate out we regretted it, not just because of the food but the lovely courtyards. Very good buffet breakfasts ( I am not usually a fan of buffet since the quality suffers but I make an exception here). After 10 days of local breakfasts elsewhere in Israel, I must admit that finding eggs and bacon and a cappuccino was a blissful change. Note the bacon folks, that is very unusual for a major hotel in Jerusalem!) They are efficient, cabs, tours, tickets well organized for you if you wish. Free phone calls internationally ( Time capped but I never got close to the cap). Cons - I had Israeli friends who said it was not the best part of town. If you want to feel like you are in a mall back in Europe then the Mamilla area may be for you. I never felt unsafe at this hotel or getting to/from it but there is no denying the Mamilla area is more modern and has wealthier inhabitants but frankly to go to Jerusalem and not stay in the this hotel is to miss a trick. We ate at the Mamilla Hotel and it had a nice roof restaurant and is gorgeously trendy in a stark way, but we would never have swapped away the ambience of this characterful, comfortable, and peaceful hotel. I would like to take the courtyard restaurants ( yes there are two, one posher than the other, both great) around the world with me on my travels.

4  Thank Iain S
Reviewed 24 October 2018 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights at the American Colony and we really enjoyed our stay. The hotel has a great atmosphere with lovely period bedrooms. The patio and breakfast were particularly enjoyable. Overall a great stay and a peaceful place in a busy city

Trip type: Traveled with family