1,301 results
All reviews cellar bar east jerusalem pasha room palm house summer garden lawrence of arabia damascus gate leading hotels of the world old city call to prayer main building historic hotel garden restaurant modern amenities junior suite wonderful hotel nice pool
Reviewed 28 October 2018 via mobile

This is a charming small hotel in East Jerusalem. Only 10 minutes walk from the old city. The staff are extraordinarily helpful. Nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are very comfortable. The pool area is delightful. There are 2 restaurants. Until the end of October both are outside, 1 in a pretty courtyard and 1 in a garden area. The latter has a charcoal grill and the barbecued lamb chops should not be missed. I wouldn’t stay anywhere else in Jerusalem.
It has a fascinating history and has retained its historical feel.

Stayed: October 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shirley R
Reviewed 25 October 2018

Exhausted after tramping Jerusalem, old and new, we could retire to two serene shady courtyards to drink and eat, or the pool. Pros = close to Damascus gate so basically the whole of the old City is walkable from here. Alternatively taxis to Jaffa Gate on the almost far side, are NIS30 on the meter, 50 off meter during busy periods (fx rate 3.5 NIS to USD). Service comes with a smile if a little slow by international standards. Food in restaurants is excellent. When we ate out we regretted it, not just because of the food but the lovely courtyards. Very good buffet breakfasts ( I am not usually a fan of buffet since the quality suffers but I make an exception here). After 10 days of local breakfasts elsewhere in Israel, I must admit that finding eggs and bacon and a cappuccino was a blissful change. Note the bacon folks, that is very unusual for a major hotel in Jerusalem!) They are efficient, cabs, tours, tickets well organized for you if you wish. Free phone calls internationally ( Time capped but I never got close to the cap). Cons - I had Israeli friends who said it was not the best part of town. If you want to feel like you are in a mall back in Europe then the Mamilla area may be for you. I never felt unsafe at this hotel or getting to/from it but there is no denying the Mamilla area is more modern and has wealthier inhabitants but frankly to go to Jerusalem and not stay in the this hotel is to miss a trick. We ate at the Mamilla Hotel and it had a nice roof restaurant and is gorgeously trendy in a stark way, but we would never have swapped away the ambience of this characterful, comfortable, and peaceful hotel. I would like to take the courtyard restaurants ( yes there are two, one posher than the other, both great) around the world with me on my travels.

Stayed: October 2018
4  Thank Iain S
Reviewed 24 October 2018 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights at the American Colony and we really enjoyed our stay. The hotel has a great atmosphere with lovely period bedrooms. The patio and breakfast were particularly enjoyable. Overall a great stay and a peaceful place in a busy city

Stayed: October 2018, traveled with family
3  Thank new_world_travellers
Reviewed 24 October 2018 via mobile

The pictures says it all,the place is well located in Jerusalem and has many places nearby to visit the receptionist was very helpful and the rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable I will for sure come back again.

Stayed: September 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Wildherb274
Reviewed 24 October 2018

I've been staying at and eating at the venerable American Colony Hotel since the '70's. The prices go up and up and the quality continues to fall, albeit slowly. I ate there several times 2 weeks ago and found the prices 'way too high and the quality merely average -- not bad, just average in a setting that back in the day represented quality, value and class.

Stayed: October 2018, traveled solo
1  Thank Nicholson W
Glindt, General Manager at The American Colony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2018

Dear Sir,
I appreciate your comments and above all that you are coming to the Colony since the 70's. I do regret that your last experience was not up to what you expected although we are trying very hard to enhance the quality of your services.

As to the prices, you are absolutely right that from the 70's prices have gone up as life in general has gone more expensive our primary goods have also gone up but we are maintaining a fair "value for money" especially when lookin at our close competitors.

I look forward meeting you personally upon your next visit and once again thank you for your comments.

Kind regards