“Outstanding!”

Ranked #196 of 767 Restaurants in Jerusalem
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Givat Ram
Description: Red Heifer Steakhouse, established in 1999, is located in the heart of Jerusalem on the exclusive King David Street just across from the King David Hotel, David Citadel Hotel, Mamilla Mall and steps from the Old City. Located in the brand new King David's Crown, Red Heifer Steakhouse has two lovely dining rooms, one available for private events. The restaurant's expansive veranda is a fantastic space to bask in Jerusalem's charming atmosphere. Our dedicated culinary team brings a wealth of culinary knowledge and experience, infusing our traditional steakhouse menu with a modern sensibility. We open Sunday thru Thursday from 5:00 pm and Saturday nights (winter) for dinner service. Our attentive staff, convenient location and beautiful space makes Red Heifer Steakhouse the perfect venue to host your next event. Whether you are celebrating a Bar/Bat Mitzvah, Birthday, Anniversary, Bris or Sheva Berachot, our team is committed to making your next event a successful and memorable one. Red Heifer is also proud to offer quality catering and gourmet butcher service for Shabbat and Holidays. We look forward to another exciting decade and to hosting you in our new location. Glatt Kosher Lemehadrin under Rav Rubin
Reviewed 17 April 2018

Some friends took us to the Red Heifer on our recent visit to Jerusalem. I’m a bit surprised to see the negative reviews here. We loved it. The service was excellent and the food was outstanding! I would definitely go again.

RedHeifer26, Manager at Red Heifer Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2018

Thank you!

Reviewed 14 March 2018

On the last night of our fantastic 3 week trip to Israel and Jordan, I decided to treat my friend to a wonderful dinner and she chose to eat at the Red Heifer. What a disaster! The doors had just opened at the Red Heifer and other than two young men sitting at a table nearby, we were the only 2 customers in the restaurant. We placed our order for a 700 gram butterflied rib eye steak, medium-rare, at a cost $114.71 for the steak alone, along with mashed potatoes ($14.00 for 1 1/2 cups), roasted vegetables ($14.00 for 1 1/2 cups) and a decent pour for glass of house wine ($11.75). So far we hadn't yet ordered cappuccinos or desserts, but as a 61 year-old retired teacher, I was pretty proud of myself for being able to end our vacation on such an expensive note. Little did I know...
Our dinner arrived from the kitchen within 7 minutes. First red flag. As we began to eat, my friend cut into her steak and announced that the outside was tepid and the inside was cold and very rare. I tried the mashed potatoes which were ice cold as were the vegetables. The "garlic bread" which our waitress so cheerfully announced was included with our meal was nothing more than a hoagie roll cut in two, warmed under the broiler with no more than a pat of butter. The garlic was nonexistent. Yikes!
I called the waitress over and let her know we were unhappy with the quality of our meal. She graciously replaced the mashed potatoes which after sever minutes finally arrived hot. We managed to find a few warm pieces of "roasted" vegetables which we also ate, foregoing the bread completely. Now for the steak. Tepid on the outside and cold on the inside is not how their menu advertised "medium-rare"; the steak in front of us was rare... "very red center". After eating the few warm and tasty sections of my steak (about 1/4), I asked to see the manager. The waitress returned without the manager but with rather with a tray of desserts, telling us that they would be happy to compensate our meal with a (one) dessert to make up for our disappointing meal. Not good enough. I finally made eye contact with the manager standing 15 feet away and so it began. At first he brushed aside our concerns as we told him about the about the unacceptable quality of the meal, offered us the same dessert the waitress had offered, and walked away in a huff. We continued to pick at our meal until I culdn't eat any more. The second time I called him over and repeated our concerns, he told us that the issues with our meal were because we had come in just as they opened and the kitchen was just getting started. To this I said, "So, because we came into your restaurant at the time you say you are open to customers, we received an inferior meal, and if we'd come at say, 8:00 pm, we would have had a totally different experience?" He was flustered. Showing him my steak cut wide open, he continued to insist that my steak was medium-rare, just as we had ordered it. I asked for the menu so I could show him what THEY said medium-rare was. It took 3 tries before he produced it. Never once did this manager apologize to us for his kitchen's obvious issues; rather, he continued to defend them. That is, until I began to take pictures of our plates and he overheard me say, "Trip Adviser review". I 'd had enough and asked for the bill, at which time he begrudgingly came back to our table offering us 50% off our meal. In all fairness, we did pick at it enough to accept his offer, During all this time, no other customers entered the Red Heifer. They must have read Trip Adviser. Word to the wise, read Trip Adviser first, eat later. You'll be much happier if you learn from others' mistakes.
Oh, yes, our evening ended spectacularly...we went down the street to the YMCA Jerusalem (which I also reviewed) for cappuccino and dessert and never looked back.

1  Thank Donna G
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

I walked out of the the restaurant in shock. For 2 steaks 1 salad 1 coca cola 1 orange juice 1 salad 1 cake 1 coffee. 900 shekels crazy .It's a kosher restaurant,the foods good, the service is good. But why 900 shekels it's absurd. Next time I will wear a white shirt and a black hat maybe it will be cheaper.

1  Thank Eric D
Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

Friend and I were looking to end our first visit to Jerusalem with a nice dinner, and The Red Heffer looked as though it would be the place. Unfortunately we were greatly disappointed. The first warning sign was when our food was delivered within minutes of being ordered-obviously not enough time for the kitchen to have made it to order. The red potatoes were ice cold from the refrigerator, the grilled vegetables barely lukewarm despite having char on them, and the steak, ordered medium rare was barely about room temperature, with absolutely no sizzle from just having come off the grill. The manager tried to explain it away by saying we had arrived shortly after opening, a completely lame excuse for serving poor food.

While the flavor of the steak was good, there was no excuse for the poor quality of preparation. I would never recommend eating here. There are far too many nearby good places to eat.

Reviewed 30 January 2018

I was looking for a place to bring 17 people to a restaurant and enjoy a three course meal minimum per seat.
Calling the Red Heifer 5 business days in advance, they gave me specific instructions on how this can work:
1. I will need to provide a list of starters that every one would like to order
2. As the main course, we will only be allowed to choose between 2 choices, chicken or meat. The meat that will be provided would be an Entrecote 200gr steak.
I mentioned to them that I do not was Entrecote and I would prefer Fillet Mignon. Their response was that it might be possible but I will also need to provide a list of main courses in advance if it differs from the limited choice they gave me.
I said to them that it saddens me that either I will need to prepare everyone's order a head of time or they wont get what they want.
His response was "yes, that's how it is, can't help you".

A few things that went through my mind:
1. It shocked me to absolute disgust that they had no interest in trying to find a solution to a group of 17 people trying to bring them a 5,000NIS minimum bill.
2. Let's say for arguments sake that the reason they refused to help was because they could not handle the capacity of 17 people ordering at once, the Chef can't handle that amount of orders, the Waiters couldn't handle that amount of orders and they are doing so well that they allow themselves to refuse care to new costumers of a large group because it scares them. Don't You think that given the 5 business days in advance I gave them, they can get their act together? higher another staff member for that night, get a chef that isn't scared of large orders?

I guess my experience would at least show me one thing, The Red Heifer does not care about their future and rather refuse to help costumers than accept new business.

At the end, we went to "Harvey's Smokehouse" which is located on Shim'on Ben Shatakh St 7, Jerusalem. The only policy they had was to notify them if the number changes so they can organize the tables properly. We all had an amazing time there, and will write a review on their trip advisor page when/if they have one.

RedHeifer26, General Manager at Red Heifer Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2018

I am baffled by this review and frankly surprised Tripadvisor would even post this...We know our restaurants limitation and do the utmost that each and every table should have a pleasant experience. We do not accept larger parties a la carte when we are expecting a busy evening and feel it will effect service to all the other patrons. Sorry that you couldn't enjoy yourselves at our establishment.