Review Highlights
The only tour of Istanbul

A unforgettable experience, hosted by the experienced and well informed Fethi. This must rank as... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Campbell_Parry
via mobile
See the Real Istanbul

We kicked off our two weeks in Istanbul with this day-long tour and it was incredible. You get a... read more

Reviewed March 28, 2020
DLComm

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed March 18, 2012

'The Other Tour' was truly the best tour I've ever attended. After spending a few days touring istanbul's standard tourist sites, I felt like I wasn't seeing all Turkey had to offer. I looked on TripAdvisor, and though 'The Other Tour' was more expensive than their competitors, the reviews and website convinced me to register. I emailed the night before, and luckily was able to get a spot on the following day's tour.

I was picked up from my hotel right on time, and was taken to coffee with Hakan while we waited for the other guests to be picked up. I was a little nervous since I didn't know what to expect, but felt welcomed right away by the guide's explanation of what we would do throughout the day. Our first stop was a nice neighborhood with a great view of the harbor, followed by a a trip to the most beautiful Starbucks I've ever seen, and finally a boat cruise on the Bosphorus. We stopped about halfway on the boat cruise to enjoy some yogurt with delicious Turkish honey on top. All throughout the tour, Fethi and Murat (the guides) kept everyone engaged and comfortable. The day continued with a trip to an elementary school (it was great to see the kids so excited), a bazaar, a poor neighborhood in the city, and finally to Murat and Fethi's family's house for lunch. The lunch was some of the best food I've had in Turkey, and the mother was so friendly and welcoming. It was also interesting to hear Fethi's viewpoint on the current political and cultural environment in Turkey over lunch.

Our afternoon entailed visiting a few other neighborhoods, going to a Turkish bathhouse (so much fun), learning to play a Turkish game, and ending up at a wine bar. After the wine bar, a few of us even went go-cart racing, which was a perfect way to end the evening.

There is no way I could have learned about or experienced as much as I did without this tour. Murat and Fethi, as well as the fun other guests, made an otherwise fun agenda even better. Don't visit Istanbul without going on 'The Other Tour'!

Date of experience: March 2012
6  Thank mayberry1016
Reviewed March 13, 2012

The Other Tour is really something else. We had a great time with Fethi and Murat, and was impressed by the variety of truly unique experiences we were able to have in just one day. We particularly enjoyed the boat trip on the Bosphoros with a short stop on the Asian side, a visit to a local school where we talked to the students and met the head master, and of course the exquisite lunch and friendly atmosphere at their familys place. Everything went so smoothly due to good preparations and connections.

Our guides had a lot of knowledge and humour, it felt more like spending time with friends. We had a nice and relaxing experience in the hammam all by ourselves in the afternoon, which is good also because you need renewed strength for the rest if the evening with games at a cafe and being able to enjoy good turkish wine later.

To get the most out of this trip I recommend that you get some basic knowledge about Istanbul and Turkey in advance because there is so much more to learn from these guides. Bring good walking shoes and leisure clothes. Most important of all; keep an open mind and be an active participant. It's great fun and and an opportunity to see the Istanbul tourists usually don't get to see.

Date of experience: March 2012
8  Thank Nina Almthén L
Reviewed March 5, 2012

My husband and I planned an impromptu trip to Istanbul for New Year's and wanted to have a combination of traditional tourism and local culture. The main sites to see are easy to navigate on your own but local culture can be trickier. The Other Tour with Fethi and co. was the absolute best way to experience the local culture of Istanbul! The day was so well planned and thought out. Touring different neighborhoods and getting a bit of history along the way was just the tip of the iceberg. Highlights include a fun stop at a local elementary school, a delicious lunch prepared by Fethi's mother (a truly delightful person!), and a stop at a cafe to learn a local game. To be honest, the whole day was a highlight! We had a fantastic time and consider Fethi and Soner to be our new friends! We hope to visit them again!!

Date of experience: December 2011
7  Thank AdriaF
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Had a wonderul time on the tour with Fethi and the crew! This really isn't so much of a tour - as a type of immersion into Turkish culture. Interesting and fascinating at the same time! Started the tour by meeting Soner (wtih those fancy shoes of his....) and then off to meet up with the rest of the tour and Fethi. Spent the day traveling around parts of Istanbul that - as a tourist - you'd never see. Fethi provides lots of in-depth information about the neighborhoods and people who live there. Had the best lunch at Fethi's house - his family was wonderful and the food was spectacular. Then after lunch - a full afternoon followed - with a visit to a Turkish Bath, then to a gaming place where we learned to play a Turkish game. (Fethi was most patient with me - cause I suck at games.....) Then off to a wonderful wine bar for a glass of wine (or two) before heading back to the hotel. Even my 12 year old cranky son enjoyed the trip - and he still talks about it. All in all - one of the best tours I've ever taken - a really super day! Thanks guys!!

Date of experience: February 2012
7  Thank sherlockwife
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Please take the tour not because it's the best-rated or most expensive/exclusive, but because it involves you as part of the experience. IMHO this tour is best enjoyed by smaller groups and those interested in both seeing several facets of Istanbul, as well as engaging with the rest of the guests and hosts. You will appreciate true, in-depth conversations ranging broadly and as deeply as you are prepared to hold. Refreshingly, you may be challenged with perspectives quite different from your own.

On a practical note, I was impressed with the preparation and smooth transitions that Fethi and his team arranged. He clearly has a passion for his country and enjoys sharing it with anyone who cares to learn more about Turkey. I plan to contact Fethi every time I travel to Turkey from now on.

Date of experience: February 2012