Shangri-La Hotel, Colombo
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsshang palacecapital bar and grillsapphire loungehorizon clublobby loungehigh teastar qualityspa ceylonchinese restaurantamazing hospitalitysri lankaspecial thanksbeautiful hotelcrablunch buffetduty managerfront office
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

After a hectic week in India this was the perfect place to unwind in style. Amazing buffet and special thanks to Shashindra Kellum for his hospitality at dinner! Very welcoming and he was happy to talk about the best places to see in Sri Lanka

Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple
Timothy W, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Many thanks Lewis R for your great feedback and encouraging words! Good to hear you enjoyed the hotel after a hectic week

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have stayed at a number of SL/Traders properties throughout the Middle East & Asia and was looking forward to the stay at the new Colombo hotel, but the experience fell some way short of expectations.

There are a number of positives which I expected from the hotel :

Great public areas
High quality furnishings & linen
Excellent staff uniforms
Great tuc-tuc service, with extremely good drivers (Romesh was excellent)
In-Room check in was very good
The pool deck and bar are good
The concierge desk were helpful in arranging an airport taxi

Unfortunately the negatives during our stay far outweighed the positives, as follows :

Upon arrival in a taxi, the handful of staff at the hotel entrance watched as myself and the taxi driver unloaded our substantial luggage, with no help.
It was only after all of the luggage was unloaded that a young staff member ran out of the hotel reception area to offer to help us.
Obviously the staff who watched me struggle with my luggage didn`t believe that it was their job to assist.

The room was nice, but there were a number of bulbs which didn`t work and a panel had been removed from the side of the bath and not replaced correctly.
I paid extra for a balcony room, which had a light installed for use during hours of darkness, but unfortunately we could not find a switch and none of the staff knew where the switch was located.
The quality of the TV was simply dreadful. The main channel listing was so out of focus it was practically impossible to read and when a channel was selected (BBC world) the picture was akin to a cheap streaming service and the audio is 2-3 seconds out of sync with the picture.
Minor issues, but not what I would expect from a new, luxury property.

We decided to eat in the Capitol Bar & Grill that evening, which was possibly the low point of the stay.
We didn`t make a reservation and were told at the Maître D` desk that some type of promotion event was happening and there was no availability.
This was confusing, but she then asked us to follow her through to the restaurant.
When we arrived in the very well appointed dining area, it was virtually empty, other than one long table and a film crew.
It became apparent that some form of promotional video was being filmed, but we were told that we could now have a table.
What became very obvious very quickly, was that all of the senior restaurant staff were either involved in the video or were completely distracted by the filming activity.
The young waiter who attended our table was pleasant, but not particularly confident.
We ordered our food and a not inexpensive bottle of wine. The wine was good the food was average but the lack of attention and care given to paying residents was poor at best.
The young waiter was very anxious to remove the empty bottle of wine as a priority, obviously some instruction from a higher power, but left other empty/finished crockery & cutlery on the table.
Again, I apportion no blame to the young member of waiting staff, but lay the blame squarely at the more senior restaurant management team for a lack of customer care and staff support.

Being a frequent visitor to Sri Lanka, I have learnt to accept that service standards do differ from those in Europe and the Middle East. What is difficult is paying European and Middle Eastern rates and experiencing distinctly average 3 star service.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family

Dear neiljm

Thank you for your detailed review and constructive comments after your recent stay with us at Shangri-La Hotel, Colombo. Whilst I was pleased there were many aspects of your stay that you enjoyed, I am most concerned to learn of the shortcomings you experienced and I will be reviewing your feedback with my team for immediate improvement. I know you have also communicated directly with us and we will be reverting back to make amends. Thank you for sharing your experience and we greatly appreciate your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Im staying at Shanglila in colombo for 2 weeks on business and just thought I should highlight the professionalism, friendliness and excellent service provided by Pasindu . Everyday room is left in a tip top condition and a note to make the day. I changed my hotel from another 5 star hotel in Colombo and so far it has been a great experience.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It was family Lunch one day and the other was a dinner with office team. Lunch was better than the dinner. Love their ice cream , it's fresh and creamy. good to reserve a spacious table in advance. My kids also enjoyed the food. The love the salads and crab. There is a sushi bar as well. Indian corner and Thai corner were my favourite.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family

Dear salujajayasena

Thanks for your wonderful feedback and pleased to hear you enjoyed your dining experience at Table One, thank you for visiting us

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Was a great experience ! The waiter ( i think Luxithan or Luxi ) was very caring and the atmosphere was upbeat, cheery and welcoming.

He was very helpful, attentive to our needs and with a pleasant smile that kept us feel welcomed. He definitely won us as regular customers

I rated excellent for his service... cheers dude.. Luxi !!

• Stayed: April 2018, traveled with friends

Dear Dinesh K

Great to hear you received warm & friendly service from our team, thank you for your feedback, we will be sure to recognise them for their efforts