Salana Boutique Hotel(Vientiane)
US$23
Backpackers Garden(Vientiane)(Great Value!)
US$10
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

We had booked here for two nights, but landed up moving after a couple of hours. Positives - The hotel is in a great position for the market and riverside dining
Negatives- our room was dirty - the spider webs in the bathroom and bedroom makes me wonder how often these are cleaned.

This hotel could do with and update and a deep clean to restore it to its former glory!

Stayed: January 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2017

I should have realised when the bedding consisted of an old childrens eiderdown. I was bitten wth over 100 bites and had an allergic reaction to them. DO NOT STAY HERE. Upon arrival the reception staff were rude and could not even crack a smile. When I told them about the bed bugs at checkout their reaction was to ask if I had eaten anything from the mini bar. Breakfast was awful and the staff spend the day sleeping in the restaurant area near the pool, playing loud music and basically casting dirty looks when we would ask for a towel. I'm so angry that this experience ruined my next week in Luang Prabang. You would be better of sleeping on the street.

Stayed: December 2016
2  Thank Annette790
Reviewed 13 October 2016 via mobile

We were a group of 28 cyclists and had a functional stay

Positives:
Good space in front of hotel
Facing the river with a good view
Good proximity to restaurants around
Rooms are simple but clean
showers are working
2 lifts are scarce with a big group

Not so good:
* Breakfast was not on time at 6am
* Quality of breakfast was "ok-ish"
* Swimming pool is like a bath tub

Stayed: October 2016, traveled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2016 via mobile

Third trip to Laos and thought I'd try another hotel, with a pool. Not my best experience. On the first night got bitten over 40 times in the hotel room - can't do much about mosquitos, but not convinced some bites weren't bed bugs (shoulders, neck and arms?). Bed quilt was stained and grey, though wrapped in clean sheet. Asked them about the bites and the bed and they said 'we'll change the sheets', which they did. Dusty room and generally felt not thoroughly clean. Forgot to replace towels on one day and had to ask for replacement toilet paper! But breakfast was the worst - all food laid out around 7am in the open air, uncovered, where it stays till 9. Fried eggs, ham, noodles etc all open to elements (30 degree heat and bugs). Ants crawling over the juice trays and in cornflakes bowls - breakfast attendant didn't clean a table whilst I was there so food droppings etc remained on the floor. Grumpy, unresponsive breakfast attendant who just flicked a dirty cloth across the ants to disperse them. No tea available for breakfast only coffee. In rooms only loose leaf tea, no coffee? Best bit was the pool - great to have access till 9pm but not allowed in pool before breakfast so as not to disturb guests eating breakfast? Frustrating. Decided it wasn't worth staying for the pool and moved after 4 days for the rest of my stay, 100 yards down the road to Beau Rivage Mekong - excellent boutique hotel and clean!

Stayed: March 2016, traveled on business
1  Thank Sally E
Reviewed 4 March 2016

My expectation was low before checking in, as I saw the reviews about the hotel being dirty and noisy.

The hotel is quite old so it can be quite gloomy with not enough lighting. In fact, the spotlight at night for the logo of the hotel seemed to have been placed haphazardly on the roof.

In the room, there was hair on the sink and on the Jacuzzi (no separate shower area). There was toothpick on the table! All these would have made me leave the room and look for another hotel pronto! But since I had no choice, I just held my breath-- convincing myself I will be able to survive the next 3 nights.

Good thing I brought my own towels. They replace your towels late in the afternoon. So if you need towels during lunch time- you have to be more creative.

Okay, on the plus side:
The location is good! Facing the Mekong River- with open barbecue stands with tables open at sunset across the hotel. Perfect for dinner and beer with friends.

In the morning, on the left side of the hotel --you can jog or take long walks along the paved sidewalks all the way to the new shopping complex before a big hotel. You can see a group of elderly doing their morning tai chi, couples walking together, etc. in the big area right by the river side.

Our room was at the back of the hotel so we did not suffer from the loud noises at night.

The receptionists are very helpful.

They give 2 free bottled water everyday.

Wifi is available all over the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter. 2nd floor can be quite busy as the restaurant for breakfast is also located on this floor.
  • Stayed: February 2016, traveled on business