“Banal”

Ranked #74 of 224 things to do in Baku
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed October 3, 2017

It may be appealing to Europeans, but not exciting for an Iranian. And it's very superficial and weak.

Reviewed September 11, 2017 via mobile

I found this museum very refreshing. Most people get very judgmental while analyzing it but we do have to keep in mind the fact that it was built just eight years ago. The designers have made great efforts in giving the space a very modern feel by using white color, angles, metallic structures and multidimensional tools. The keeps moving because of these elements. Around 800 exhibits are also pretty attractive. Most of them are works of Azerbaijani artists but there are also a few pieces of world famous here like those of Marc Chagall, Salvador Dalí and Pablo Picasso. I found this museum full of surprises. I suppose in the case of art "Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder"!

1  Thank HINAWASEEM
Reviewed July 8, 2017

I have traveled the world for two and a half years, visiting modern art museums in more capital cities than I can count, and this is without a doubt the worst one I have ever encountered. Starting with the rude and aggressive security on the door and finishing with the art, much of which you would expect to find stacked up against a wall in a basic home decorating store like Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Even the few viable pieces by Chagall and a few others were not originals except for a very nice large Picasso of a dalmatian which is probably worth more than the rest of the exhibition combined. He would probably be mortified to have his work displayed in a place such as this.

As far as the art and museum layout that has been praised by many, the space is far too visually noisy to properly focus and appreciate the substandard art that is there. In many cases the canvases are stacked one on top of the other, and there is little rhyme or reason for their placement. I kept going back for another go to see if there was something I was missing. There is simply too much art for the space, and the more I looked the worse it got until I feared my eyeballs would burn out of their sockets.

I returned to the Picasso for a last look as if to take a deep breath of oxygen, before holding my breath, as I ran down stairs through all of the drek in my path, past the dour security guard, and out the door into a world temporarily free of mediocre aesthetics.

1  Thank John H
Reviewed June 30, 2017

Checking out the Museum of Modern Art in Baku recently it was like a lot of Modern Art Museums we have visited in the past, it is bright, well laid out and the structure itself is a work of art itself. As for the exhibits, I really don’t get art, I try and try and try and I just don’t get it. Call me uncouth but I’m okay with that, there are some beautiful pieces and some you aren’t sure if it is an exhibit or a kids play area, or the garbage room… To each their own, I will continue trying to understand “modern art” but as nice a set up that this place has, I just was lost with the imagery.

1  Thank JGDynamo