“Very Poor Quality...”

Ranked #74 of 224 things to do in Baku
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed July 8, 2017

I have traveled the world for two and a half years, visiting modern art museums in more capital cities than I can count, and this is without a doubt the worst one I have ever encountered. Starting with the rude and aggressive security on the door and finishing with the art, much of which you would expect to find stacked up against a wall in a basic home decorating store like Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Even the few viable pieces by Chagall and a few others were not originals except for a very nice large Picasso of a dalmatian which is probably worth more than the rest of the exhibition combined. He would probably be mortified to have his work displayed in a place such as this.

As far as the art and museum layout that has been praised by many, the space is far too visually noisy to properly focus and appreciate the substandard art that is there. In many cases the canvases are stacked one on top of the other, and there is little rhyme or reason for their placement. I kept going back for another go to see if there was something I was missing. There is simply too much art for the space, and the more I looked the worse it got until I feared my eyeballs would burn out of their sockets.

I returned to the Picasso for a last look as if to take a deep breath of oxygen, before holding my breath, as I ran down stairs through all of the drek in my path, past the dour security guard, and out the door into a world temporarily free of mediocre aesthetics.

1  Thank John H

Reviewed June 30, 2017

Checking out the Museum of Modern Art in Baku recently it was like a lot of Modern Art Museums we have visited in the past, it is bright, well laid out and the structure itself is a work of art itself. As for the exhibits, I really don’t get art, I try and try and try and I just don’t get it. Call me uncouth but I’m okay with that, there are some beautiful pieces and some you aren’t sure if it is an exhibit or a kids play area, or the garbage room… To each their own, I will continue trying to understand “modern art” but as nice a set up that this place has, I just was lost with the imagery.

1  Thank JGDynamo
Reviewed March 23, 2017

Not everything that is created today can be modern art,
Sorry but from my side fill that the museum was full of trash
, this is just the wrong use of the space.

Reviewed March 14, 2017

Almost in the centre, but better to go by car, not so suitable to reach by foot. Have special offers like free nights admissions. Very interesting installations and art pieces. Good for family visits.

3  Thank Elya N
See more reviews
Reviewed November 20, 2016

Some reviews and some of the exciting architecture in Baku led us to believe this would be an excellent and stimulating gallery. It's an interesting open-plan building with white display spaces branching in all directions from the central atrium, but at least when we went there the artworks were fairly ordinary, with no cutting-edge modern pieces.There's a cafe upstairs overlooking the central area.