“A hobby”
Review of Pinch of Salt

Pinch of Salt
Ranked #877 of 2,383 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Price range: US$6 - US$75
Description: " The common senses cooking" Chef Pete who is native Thai earn 9 years experiences in Melbourne. He discover the combination between Asian Cuisine and French technique but no limit to explore the new menu every week. Please come to join all day menu or sit with me or dining experiences.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Pete is a jolly guy and has opened his kitchen for the public. Or at least sometimes if he hasn’t friends on visit or too busy with other things to have opened.

But will chose to rank Pinch of Salt as a restaurant. Not as a private person with a good mood and a hobby.

The story telling seems more important than the food itself. Sad with this focus, since I think Pete has potential for more.

Nothing wrong with the food. But never reached the height of great or extraordinary. It was ordinary. Ok something wrong with some of the food that was sold as experiments (e.g. if a creme brûlée gets 10-15 degrees to little and is a sauce, it doesn’t help to add a French toast in small pieces and “sell” it is something special).

To master a trade it is not enough with the idea and wishful thinking. What is needed is hard work and time to reach a consistent level.

Most hobby chefs will be able to cook at this level. But it is different to be at a friend that can cook where all says “gosh, this is great” and then opening as a restaurant. Keep that in mind if you want to try pinch of salt.

3 stars since Pete is a nice guy with a good mood.

Pinchofsaltstud... C, Owner at Pinch of Salt, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your comment I always listen to voices and comment on our food. As you mentions on consistence of food it seem to be hard to describe because I dealt with day to day basis ingredient.

We never describe our restaurant. Pinch of salt is best defination of our way of cooking. and I insist this is our home. The hobby that you mention is the quite harsh for reputations. The expectations are come along with unreasonable price and poor services.

"But never reached the height of great or extraordinary" I am pretty confident that you are my client who never try my "Extraordinary" yet. Please feel free to come to our "Home" again then I will waive all expense for your most satisfaction.

Once again thank you for your comment. We are not commercial kitchen as people think but we are cooking with the common senses.

All best ,

Pete

Reviewed November 24, 2017 via mobile

What a friendly chef, great dinner with fantastic ribs and a lovely fish main dish! keep up the good work, all the best from Esther en Tommy from the Netherlands :)

Pinchofsaltstud... C, Owner at Pinch of Salt, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2017

That was my pleasure to serve food for you. Wish you come back here again.

Reviewed November 6, 2017 via mobile

Absolutely amazing!!!! Chef Pete is a community matter who should have a much larger place, but then we would all lose the love.

We happened upon Punch of Salt when our usual place was closed. It requires you to be a bit adventurous as the place is pretty remote. But if you are a gourmand then it is worth the pilgrimage.

Pete trained overseas and brings an international flair to traditional Thai Dishes. With influences from South America, Australia, France and Japan you will find a unique interpretation of many Classic Thai Dishes. Mind you, you won't find everything everyday as menu changes daily.

On our visit we sampled many different things including the signature smoked duck salad and also the pork neck salad. For the main course pasta as well as the dried chili and bacon pasta. In each case the dish was prepared expertly and was true attention to detail.

The nice thing is that this was a five-minute walk of our hotel I tell you I would walk a lot further for the same meal. All products are organic and derived locally supporting the local community.

To start the smoked duck salad was well blended with a slight drizzle is balsamic. We also had the pork neck salad which was served with what seemed like a ohdelicate satay sauce on a bed of carrots, gherkins and lettuce. Divine!

This was filled by dried chili and bacon pasta and Chiang Mai pasta with lemon grass infused Chiang Mai sausage that contained just enough coli to make you feel alive!

Do me a favor and don't tell anyone!!!

1  Thank PolyBatics
Reviewed April 7, 2017 via mobile

What an amazing experience!
If in Chiang Mai, treat yourself to an Amazing dinner cooked right in front of you!
Chef Pete is an amazing chef, and delivers extremely tasty, modern and exciting food!
Pete and his partner are wonderful hosts, and you can enjoy their brilliant hospitality, whilst witenessing Pete execute his skills! Not to mention the most amazing food that you won't soon forget!
Such a brilliant experience for couples (was the second visit for me and my wife) or small groups!
Chef Pete can tailor his 5/6 course menu to your needs or likes, and will blow you away with his creativity!
A must do for foodies, and wonderful and personal experience, where else would you go to have a chef cook exclusively for you, in his own kitchen!
Look up Pinch Of Salt Studio on Facebook, and contact (or email) to book in your dinner.
Cost us under $100 Australian for both of us for such an Amazing night!
Let Chef Pete know what foods you like, and he won't disappoint!

1  Thank Rodney P
Pinchofsaltstud... C, Owner at Pinch of Salt, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2017

Thank you for your comment. we hope serve you next time soon.

Reviewed March 17, 2017

I knew about this place because my friend told me about it. It was honestly the best dinner experience. I eat 3 meals a day for many years and this would be one of the meal I remember in life :)

1  Thank Nutrada S