“Authentic day with the elephants ”

Patara Elephant Farm - Private Tours
Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

A once in a lifetime experience spending the day caring for the elephants at Patara. “Jack” picked us up, led our group through the day without feeling rushed or overly touristy and answered all our questions. My husband & I had visited a few years ago and were lucky enough to be back again but this time with the kids. Lunch is delicious and the rustic setting gives a feeling of authenticity to the experience. Photos of our day awaiting our download in the evening after returning to Chiang Mai is an excellent bonus! More time just experiencing the elephants than trying to capture the perfect picture. Thank you to all the mahouts & elephants for a magical day! ❤️

Write a ReviewReviews (3,973)
All reviews
in 34 reviews
"highlight of our trip"
in 111 reviews

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

It has been a few months and I’m still showing people videos and talking about this amazing place!!
I can’t say enough great things!! The elephants were so great to see up close and interact with.
The staff was caring, knowledgeable, and so good with both us and the elephants.
I can’t wait to come back and stay longer!!

Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

A great experience. The elephants here seemed really content and comfortable, and seemed to have a nice relationship with their mahouts. The day included meeting the elephants, feeding them, bathing and providing skin care and then walking with or riding on them barebacked for about 20mins. A really unforgettable experience. Even in the lashing rain it is was such a great day. The staff here seemed to really know and care out the elephants. It is more expensive than other parks but for us it was worth it. The professional photographs free of charge were a nice extra too.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

I had hopes for this experience and tried to temper them coming in. Luckily, the experience met and exceeded my expectations. The staff is all very knowledgeable and the experience does become very personalized. At first, we all gathered to just see the elephants, including some baby elephants; I was leery thinking this was going to be it. While it was fun, people started cutting others off to be closer and get that better shot. I was starting to become a tad disillusioned.

However, then we moved on to the next meeting point. This is where one is actually assigned an elephant. You get some information about elephants, and their dung, and then move off to feed your elephants. Very cool. *Pro tip: spray insect repellent on at the first stop as there are mosquitoes here. I didn't get bit more than three times in three weeks in Southeast Asia until this place; I had to make a mad dash to the bathroom to spray some on at this point*

After feeding, you do a basic brushing off of your elephant and then you're off to ride them. If you are physically able, seriously this is like riding an extremely wide horse bareback, take the jungle route. It feels surreal to cruise through the jungle on an elephant. You then arrive for lunch, which was quite good. After lunch, you go in a lake area and wash your elephant down.

They take a lot of pictures for you, which are quite good. You also have an opportunity to take pictures, or your personal guide will for you, at the second stop. You will get sweaty and dirty. Know this. Don't bring your Gucci suit here.

Great experience. If you're debating it, just do it.

2  Thank Mark S