“Overnight train Trang to Bangkok”
Review of Thailand Railways

Thailand Railways
Ranked #19 of 96 Transportation in Bangkok
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed in 2nd class air con sleeper- great bed and nice views of Thailand but COLD!!!

Was unable to sleep properly as the air con was too cold, and they only provide a thin blanket for sleeping, could not do this again!

All reviews
"train attendant"
"booking office"
"thai countryside"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I had my passport and valuables stolen from next to my head (inside a zipped up bag) while I slept on an overnight 2nd class a/c sleeper from Bangkok to Surat Thani. Lesson: be very careful with your belongings and use a money belt wherever possible.

Great trip otherwise. Way better than the newer trains which have sterile air conditioned restaurant cars and only microwave food options available.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It was very dirty, no water after a while. Food awful and expensive. The mineral water also expensive. At the stations you can buy from locals decent food for 20bahts.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

If you can only bring your western mindset when travelling on Thai railways, it’s best you just don’t travel and stay in the comfort and safety of your own home. The reviews of all the moaners here are unbelievable yet amusing at the same time. One woman even writing a negative review because it was ‘cold in the train’, ‘the lights where on’ and ‘nobody told her where the toilets where.’ I can picture myself seeing here sitting in her cabin, terrified. Demanding to know where the toilets are.

Well, my dear, there’s this thing called the internet. It comes with heaps and heaps of information about Thai railways and railway travel in Thailand. I seriously cannot believe that people are still that stupid or ignorant when travelling abroad. The lights are on for a safety measure. If you want privacy, book a first class cabin. For god sake, look stuff up before you go. And get up and look for the toilet yourself, as the toilet was in the same coach you are sitting in!

If you aren’t comfortable with being uncomfortable, don’t travel by train in Thailand!

Okay, rant finished ;)

I find Thai travel to be convenient and adventurous. Staff is always friendly and helpful, despite the language barrier.

We took train number 13 to Chiang Mai in a first class cabin, which we reserved through 12goasia.com. Which I can recommend!

We departed about an hour late, but still arrived only 10 minutes later than our scheduled arrival time. Journey was okay. Berth was clean. Air con wasn’t that cold as it used to be. In the morning, we where offered some stunning views from our window. Since we where the last coach, we took some cool videos and shots of the rear of the train while driving.

Some things to keep in consideration when booking the night train:

-book in advance;
-bring earbuds, it can be noisy;
-bring a vest;
-the ‘welcome drink’ or any other food or drinks offered aren’t free, even if the suggestion is made that they are;
-if you want to get food yourself, kindly wave of the servants who push you into buying it from your seat or cabin (they will act annoyed, but that’s part of their game);
-There’s a restaurant car on board, prices are 210 baht for a meal set without drinks (2018 price);

And, most important:
Smile and except the fact you aren’t taking the train to work. It is Thailand, railway travel is a basic means to get around and a nice way of slow travel. A way to indulge yourself in the country. See it, smell it, feel it, enjoy it. Even it takes 15 hours. You’re on vacation!

6  Thank Dan K
See more reviews
Reviewed March 11, 2018

Took the ordinary train up to Nakhon Ratchasima, because I could not book a fan sleeper – only air-con sleepers available.
Air con sleepers do not allow the sleeper to open the window.
It just so happened as I was at the desk, the ordinary train was about to leave.
When they said the fare was B50 I nearly ripped my pocket getting my money out.
True it was around 160 miles (260 km) it does take 5 hours and a half, so it is slow – 29 miles an hour.
However, there are constant hawkers selling food, drink, and all sorts walking through the train, and they were not pestering.
The window can be opened, and views are entertaining.
Every station seemed to be competing for the most beautiful station on the track, with plants trees, and ornaments.
Station staff were immaculate in crisp uniforms and efficient.
Some had medals!
This is the way to run a railway, and so I will give this trip a rare excellent from me.

1  Thank Lookingforthegood