“Good Ambience and good for beginners”

The Oriental Thai Cooking School
More attraction details
Owner description: The Oriental Thai Cooking SchoolFor over two decades, our renowned Thai Cooking School has taught thousands of people from all over the world the art of preparing fine Thai cuisine. All participants will learn how to create stunning Thai delicacies whilst gaining insights into the fascinating culture and traditions of Thailand. During your class, Chef Narain Kiattiyotcharoen will skilfully demonstrate the methods and steps of Thai cookery from ingredient preparation to cooking. Class participants will be encouraged to try grounding pastes, chopping up meat and vegetables, stir-frying, deep-frying and stewing food to create dishes of the highest quality and flavour. MENU HIGHLIGHTS• Yam Som-O / Pomelo Salad • Thawd Mun / Fish Cackes• Gaeng Garee Gai / Yellow Curry of Chicken• Gaeng Som Cha-ohm Thawd / Spicy Sour soup with Prawns & Acacia Leaves • Khanom Kork / Siamese Bakes Pudding
Reviewed June 6, 2017

To be honest I found it very boring because you don't really get to do much of the cooking, except for a bit of chopping and stirring. For a beginner or someone who has not cooked Thai dishes before, this would be an ideal class. If you are a cook and already familiar with cooking Asian dishes, then you might find this to be a very expensive lunch!
They advertised the class to be from 9-3pm on a weekend with a 1hour market tour. The market tour was kind of rushed and we were done by 12pm. The table was set up for us to eat what we prepared during class and then you don't even see the instructor or any staff again. You just assume it was done and find your way out. No staff was seen again. You can't even order drinks with your meal.
I choose this as the reviews for this class was all excellent, so had very high expectations. I failed to note there are about a year or so old, so perhaps things have gone downhill a bit. It is very expensive for what it is!
Booking experience was good, class room ambience was good, instructor was good (spoke good English) and they give you a very nice bag, apron, spices, recipe cards and certificate at the end.

All reviews

great technique
very professional
i had bkkoed for one class but ended up doing 2

the introduction to ingredients
plus hands on cooking experience is v helpful

1  Thank poonam m
Reviewed February 5, 2017 via mobile

This was a wonderful experience! Loved the walk through the market. The instructor/chef and his assistants were wonderful. The menu was delicious. They take such good care of you. Then we enjoyed our delicious food in a beautiful dining room. This is well worth the time and money.

Reviewed December 29, 2016

The Mandarin Oriental Thai Cooking school is legendary ! It has been on my wish list to do for more than 30 years. I've probably been to Bangkok 15 times and for one reason or another I have never been able to do a class. However this trip I booked ahead.
3 months ahead. Again it almost didn't happen however an opportunity to a Private Class became available. Horray!
So just for two of us we had a Private Class. It was a little more expensive than the group class but I was not going to give up this wonderful opportunity.
We were able to select our menu from a huge selection of dishes.
My friend is allergic to crustaceans so this was another blessing to be able to select a menu to suite our dietary needs.
We were staying next door at the Shangri la so the Oriental sent their ferry to collect us and deliver us to the cooking school. Great service.
Our Teacher Narain, spoke perfect English and was entertaining with details of the herbs and spices we were to use and anecdotes that made us laugh. Narain is a good teacher and imparted his skills and knowledge in a simple fun and easy way.
I'll be back. For more.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 5, 2016

My husband and I were staying at the MO in Bangkok and saw a brochure for this class at one of the restaurants. They offer a number of different options and we were very excited to try the four hour version (offered on Sat and Sun only I believe) which included a trip to a local market as well as cooking dishes which we got to enjoy for lunch in one of the restaurants.

The time at the market was fantastic with the instructor pointing out different stalls and kinds of food. We got to ask him questions and he also pointed out other things in the area. Then we went back to the kitchen and spent the remaining time cooking four different dishes. The instructor was so kind and patient and he took time to explain the history of ingredients, differences between different items and substitutions you could make for items not easily found in the US.

At the end of the class we received new/fresh Thai cooking school aprons (the same as what we wore during the class which were obviously dirtied), the recipes for everything we made, certificates of completion for the course and a few of the herbs/spices we used. Then we headed to the nearby restaurant where we had our lunch in a semi-private area of the restaurant.

This was a truly great and unique experience which I would highly recommend to anyone staying at or near the MO.