“Ambiance outdoor setting was affected by a staff smoking at a table outside every so often”
Review of Spot Cafe Lumiere

Spot Cafe Lumiere
Ranked #1,472 of 13,014 Restaurants in Taipei
Reviewed October 24, 2016

I was meeting with a friend for an afternoon coffee. I told her Spot has a nice enclosed outdoor greenery seating; and it is in a small alley but closed to the MRT exits it would be easy for us to get there. The menu is simple and to have a sit-down table our minimum spending requirement is each of us ordering an item.The maximum time to occupy a table is two hours. We thought weather was nice and indoor seating seemed to be crowded. So we decided to take a table outside in the enclosed garden. We each ordered coffee and a dessert to share. We enjoyed our time chatting until we began to smell the cigarette smoke drifting to our directions. I looked around, didn't see the smoke come from people sitting next to us. So I looked farther and saw a young service staff was sitting at the table just next to the steps below the inside dining area. Then a while later, the same staff came out, sat at the same table and smoked again a few times. Our table is the farthest away from the steps between indoor and outdoor, and is next to a large old shady tree, we still experienced very unpleasant effects of the smoke wafting from that particular staff's cigarette. Coffee was okay, not much of roasting aroma; strawberry layered cake is standard. After two hours expired we ordered more coffee, a bowl of mixed green salad and chose to have oil and vinaigrette dressing. Salad was fresh but dressing tasted bland. I like the enclosed outdoor setting with garden, shady trees and its unique western mansion architecture. This type of ambiance environs for cafes or restaurants are hard to find in Taipei where high-rise buildings and outdated housing are commonly seen. It looks elegant and classic but the atmosphere of our afternoon coffee time was negatively affected by one service staff's habits of chain-smoking. I highly recommend the management considers placing clean air for the customers their first priority and making it a total non-smoking eatery or at least bans staff from smoking in the same area where customers are served. I believe its greenery and totally non-smoking environs will attract more visitors to enjoy the outdoor dining.

There are newer reviews for Spot Cafe Lumiere

Reviewed April 26, 2016

Spot cafe Lumiere is also called the house of Taipei, once a historical building, now a multifunctional location: coffee shop, lounge bar, film house and a gift shop that sells many Taiwanese stationery and artworks. Spot is a 2 story western mansion, the historical site used to be a Japanese embassy and once American embassy. It's quite a site in the busy streets of Taipei. The late U.S. Vice President Richard M. Nixon chose to stay here instead of a fancy hotel when he visited Taiwan. Spot Cafe Lumiere preserves the charm of the past. Lovely apple pound cake with a cup of hot coffee, my type of afternoon tea.

Reviewed October 28, 2015

Too early for dinner so we stop by to have some coffee and tea. The tea, served in beautiful glass tea pot. A quiet place to sit down, chit chat and relax.

1  Thank yfylou
Reviewed August 26, 2015

This cafe house located on the most beautiful street in Taipei city is in an elegant house with a pretty garden where was the American Ambassy. This place is silent and very suitable for dating because of its light and atmosphare. I like it and have been there with my friends and my love several times.

Just next to it, there is a film store for move lovers.

Reviewed July 9, 2015

It used to be tough to find good coffee in Taipei, but now more and more micro-roasters are popping up. However I still prefer the experience at the Spot - sitting outside at a table and sipping good espresso and eating a hand-crafted patisserie is a great way to spend a morning. (need to check open hours there).
Strange that there was a sign on the grass warning people not to walk on it for fear of electric shock and death!.
There is also a nice little shop attached selling accessories such as coffee mugs, laptop bags, and other miscellaneous trinkets.