“Spot Cafe Lumiere_Once an embassy now a coffee shop”
Review of Spot Cafe Lumiere

Spot Cafe Lumiere
Ranked #1,468 of 13,012 Restaurants in Taipei
Reviewed April 26, 2016

Spot cafe Lumiere is also called the house of Taipei, once a historical building, now a multifunctional location: coffee shop, lounge bar, film house and a gift shop that sells many Taiwanese stationery and artworks. Spot is a 2 story western mansion, the historical site used to be a Japanese embassy and once American embassy. It's quite a site in the busy streets of Taipei. The late U.S. Vice President Richard M. Nixon chose to stay here instead of a fancy hotel when he visited Taiwan. Spot Cafe Lumiere preserves the charm of the past. Lovely apple pound cake with a cup of hot coffee, my type of afternoon tea.

There are newer reviews for Spot Cafe Lumiere

Reviewed October 28, 2015

Too early for dinner so we stop by to have some coffee and tea. The tea, served in beautiful glass tea pot. A quiet place to sit down, chit chat and relax.

1  Thank yfylou
Reviewed August 26, 2015

This cafe house located on the most beautiful street in Taipei city is in an elegant house with a pretty garden where was the American Ambassy. This place is silent and very suitable for dating because of its light and atmosphare. I like it and have been there with my friends and my love several times.

Just next to it, there is a film store for move lovers.

Reviewed July 9, 2015

It used to be tough to find good coffee in Taipei, but now more and more micro-roasters are popping up. However I still prefer the experience at the Spot - sitting outside at a table and sipping good espresso and eating a hand-crafted patisserie is a great way to spend a morning. (need to check open hours there).
Strange that there was a sign on the grass warning people not to walk on it for fear of electric shock and death!.
There is also a nice little shop attached selling accessories such as coffee mugs, laptop bags, and other miscellaneous trinkets.

Reviewed February 21, 2015

We had dinner here, and it was quite good. The menu is not that big, but it is varied and inexpensive. The flip side of the inexpensiveness is that the portion sizes are not that large. In fact, what I ordered looked quite large when it arrived, but it turned out that the bowl it was served in was quite shallow - almost like a plate. Other people, though, who ordered soup served in bread bowls seemed to get larger portion sizes. Regardless, both my wife and I enjoyed our food.

The house the restaurant is in is old (1925) and well appointed. It used to be the American consulate or embassy. Roughly half of the downstairs area is a restaurant/café, and the other half is a gift shop that has some pretty unique items. Seating is available outside in the beautiful garden, although the property is next to a busy street. We found it too loud to sit out there when we had dinner around 7:00 PM on a Monday evening.

The only real negative we experienced was that the food took rather long to get to us. Actually, my wife got hers within 10 minutes, which wasn't bad, but it took another 10 minutes for me to get my meal. I hate it when restaurants do that - we like to eat together. I haven't read about that problem in any other review, so perhaps it was just an off night when we were there.

By the way, this place also shows up as the "SPOT - Taipei Film House" or sometimes just "Taipei Film House." The upstairs area apparently has a small theater wherein all sorts of indie films are played. We didn't have time to investigate, though.