“amazing hidden gem”

Central Cafe
Ranked #16 of 121 Restaurants in Thimphu
Price range: US$0 - US$7
Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

honestly, at first I didn’t expect to find a place for the proper machine coffee in Bhutan. when a guide of my tour group recommended me to the meiji cafe inside the main cinema in Thimphu, we walked there from our hotel & my impression was “shook... this is not what I expected”. And I then blankly looked around & notice ced a very arty signage of Central cafe, so we bet our try. Amazingly it turned out the greatest decision I ever made during our stay in Bhutan’s capital. Very mild latte, and especially the choc cake (I ate two pieces... OMG if I can have one now). We also tried beefsteak & cesar salad, but I have to tell, just stick to their excellent coffee & cakes, then your day wont be ruined.

Reviewed 8 March 2018

Bhutanese cuisine itself is amazing and I could never get tired of all those delicious dishes. But visited Central Cafe for a change and it had surprisingly good western offerings.

The cafe has nice ambience. Very well cleaned and nicely maintained. Ideal for all age groups.

Their breakfast platter was great value for money. Best chilli toast in town. Both tea and coffee were good, too.

Delightful spaghetti bolognese, hard to find in other cafes in Bhutan.

What delighted me the most, though, were their pastries. Their mousse cake is a must-try. They specialize in theme-based cakes.

Reviewed 14 January 2018

cool place and well done with the interior design.
i had crispy chilli potato and it was fantastic
the place was very hard to find tho...

Reviewed 16 November 2017

This cafe is wonderfully clean, with great ambience and a nice view. They have great coffee, teas and homemade cakes, which is not easy to do in Thimpu, as it is difficult to obtain proper baking flour. Well done Yangchen and your fantastic family!

Reviewed 15 October 2017

The coffee and desserts are a wonderful find here in Bhutan. Place is instagrammable and hipster looking.