“1000 Hills to Heaven”

Heaven Restaurant & Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 228 Restaurants in Kigali
Price range: US$15 - US$60
Cuisines: International
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Heaven Restaurant & Boutique Hotel is an American-owned, private, serene property opened in May of 2008 in the lovely neighborhood of Kiyovu. Started as a social enterprise to improve service levels in the hospitality sector and create employment, Heaven is consistently ranked one of the country's top restaurants with a spectacular ambience on a custom-built outdoor terrace overlooking the entire city. Since our opening, we have trained over 1,500 Rwandans. Heaven Boutique Hotel has 30 beautifully appointed hotel rooms with a salt water heated swimming pool, an open air state-of-the-art gym, ensuite private bathrooms, local artwork, free wifi, unlimited coffee/tea/purified water, 24 hour security, just steps from downtown Kigali. In addition to 30 rooms currently in operation, our 20 room luxury hotel called The Retreat is located just next door! The Retreat is a new property with 20 luxury rooms all with peaked ceilings and private outdoor terraces, a gym, spa and swimming pool!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had a remarkable stay at Heaven Retreat during our visit to Rwanda. This hotel and restaurant is fantastic and we highly recommend it to anyone visiting Kigali (for an oasis prior to or following time trekking for gorillas).

Apollo met us at the airport and was most informative about Kigali and Rwanda on our drive to the hotel. As we were under Rwanda Covid Protocol, we had to check in and stay within our room until our negative test was posted. Moreen at reception couldn't have been more helpful and friendly in everything that we needed. Upon clearing protocol (which Moreen watched the website for us and printed our test documents), we were able to eat at Fusion, which is a most excellent restaurant and our meal was perfect. Pascaline was our server and not only was her service amazing, she was so nicely engaging and fun to talk with. For breakfast, again the food was top-notch and Divin's service was perfect. I was long overdue for a great cappuccino and the one made with Rwandan coffee was just what I needed. Please put Heaven on your list if you travel to Kigali. You will not be disappointed.

Date of visit: August 2021
heavenrwanda, Owner at Heaven Restaurant & Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for this glowing review and for highlighting the staff who went above and beyond! Alissa

Write a reviewReviews (1,105)

Reviewed 3 June 2021

What an awesome experience, food, location, rooms, service are all rated 5 stars based on my experience

Date of visit: May 2021
1  Thank Grant1206

Thank you!

Reviewed 25 March 2021

The staffs are the best. This should be the last evening in Rwanda as the memories of best staffs will stay with you a long time. Food could improve. Prices are a bit low. You can hike up menu prices.

Date of visit: March 2021
heavenrwanda, Owner at Heaven Restaurant & Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2021

Hi Denise, thank you for choosing to dine with us, and for your suggestions, we appreciate,, best Alissa

Reviewed 16 February 2021

My wife and I invited a friend to join us for dinner at the Heaven restaurant. We did not use any hotel services.
Service was slow despite there being only one other table in use when we arrived. Eventually the starters materialised (Perch fish cakes and Banana Flower salad), but they were not particularly inspiring. After a further long wait the main courses arrived and were - frankly - disappointing. The Kuku Paka Swahili was bland and not spicy as advertised and the Goat Kofta Kebab consisted of three miniature kebabs which were barely warm, despite the meat being blackened on two of the kebabs. The accompaniments were a blob of guacamole and a very small piece of bread. A serving this size may be adequate as a starter but certainly not as a main course. All in all, the meal experience was sub-standard and unsatisfactory.
However, the sting in the tail had yet to arrive. When I checked the bill, I found we had been charged for nine Amarula liquors, despite the fact that we had only taken three glasses. The waitress then told us that each glass needed three measures – hence the charge for nine measures. This was not mentioned on the menu where Amarula is clearly shown as FRW 6,800 ($6.95 at the time). This sleight of hand resulted in a charge of FRW 20,400 per glass ($20.85) or $62.55 for the three glasses.
I have not come across this practice elsewhere in Kigali, or the other places I have travelled to in Rwanda. If a glass consists of three measures this should be clearly stated on the drink menu. The current practice seems to be employed simply to hide the true cost of a drink. At $20.85, per glass, that is, perhaps, not surprising.

J_A_M_Kigali, Owner at Heaven Restaurant & Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2021

Dear Mike this review has been placed on the wrong portal as Heaven Restaurant has been closed for about a year since COVID hit. I suspect you dined at our sister restaurant Fusion next door? Very sorry to hear you did not enjoy the meal and there was a billing issue. We are always happy to resolve any issue of management is made aware. Kindly feel free to come in for a resolution on the error made and we welcome you to try us again best Alissa

Reviewed 31 December 2020

I visited Rwanda Nov. 21-Dec. 5 (my first time in Africa) and stayed at Heaven -- indeed, it was a heavenly experience! The accommodations were first-class and surpassed my every expectation!

While I enjoyed the physical beauty and tranquility of the hotel, it really is the incredible employees at Heaven that did it for me! They are some of the most dedicated, professional and kind people I have met: Clemence, Devin, Ivan, Nathan, and so many others.

This incredible staff really takes good care of you and they go out of their way to make sure you feel welcome.

The property is clean, bright, modern and serene. It is located in a very upscale area of Kigali--lots of greenery, beautiful views, great shops and restaurants in walking distance or a short taxi ride away.

I really loved the Ketenge (did I spell that correctly? LOL) bedding in my hotel room and the local art on the walls. There is nothing I love more than sleeping on a foam mattress and I was thrilled that the bed was foam. So relaxing and comfortable.

Speaking of Ketenge (African print cloth), my family and I absolutely LOVE the custom-made totes, masks and duffle bag that the hotel's master tailor (his name escapes me) made for me! Thanks again, guys!

It goes without saying that my stay at Heaven was awesome! I have been unable to stop talking about my experience there and hope to be back soon.

Wishing the owners and staff a wonderful, safe, happy and healthy 2021!

With Love and Deep Appreciation,

Cynthia

Date of visit: November 2020

Dear Cynthia, thank you for this glowing review of your stay at Heaven, I know our staff will be so delighted to have been mentioned as well as Maiga, our in-house tailor who made your kitenge African tote, masks, etc he is a true talent! We hope to welcome you again! Alissa