“Topi Adventures - Awesome local guides”
Review of Mount Kilimanjaro

Mount Kilimanjaro Short Trek from Arusha
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I climbed Kilimanjaro in September of 2013 and had the most amazing experience with Topi Adventures. I can't recommend them enough. My friend and I joined up with a group they already had going and we ended up being 11 people total. We had 3 experienced, wonderful guides who were totally engaged in our trip and really devoted to seeing all of us make it to the top. Emanuel, Vincent and Nelson all became my friends during the 7-day climb and I really treasure the memories!
We did the Lemosho route and I'd recommend that as well, it was really beautiful and allowed us to acclimatize well. We started our trip staying at a great little hotel in Moshi were we really had time to adjust to the idea of being in Africa(!), and then we started our climb from the Londorossi gate and it was spectacular right from the start. Our guides knew exactly how fast (slow!) to go and where to take breaks to enjoy the gorgeous views. They were very attentive to each member of the group and made sure we stayed together and everyone was healthy and strong. On that note, the food was also amazing! Our chef, Alan, made us hearty, healthy meals every day that were delicious! I have Celiac's disease and I wasn't sure how easy it would be for me to eat on the mountain so I brought lots of snacks and stuff just in case but I barely had to tap into them at all. Alan and his crew made sure that I always had some carbs even when the rest of the group was eating pasta or something. In fact people were jealous of my 'french fries' more than once!
Summit day was naturally the most amazing day of the trip and the guides went above and beyond on that day. We hiked all night long and it was cold and slow and hard and they knew just when we needed a break, or when we needed a song! I could not believe they were able to sing while we were hiking but it did so much to help our mental states!
All 11 of us made it to the top and it was a thrilling and indescribable experience.
If you're looking for a small, local company who can give you a safe, successful summit of Kilimanjaro, Topi Adventures is your best bet!

1  Thank PiedPiper32
Write a ReviewReviews (3,386)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"every meal"
in 55 reviews

Reviewed 16 December 2013

In September 2013, my husband and I successfully summited Mt Kilimanjaro (Uhuru peak) and followed this up with a 5 day safari through the Tarangire national park, Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater. Nothing that I write here will do justice to the absolutely amazing experience we had with Majestic Kilimanjaro and I cannot recommend them enough.

There are so many different outfitters offering climbs and safaris. Ultimately, most groups will probably get you up there (subject to your general fitness and acclimatisation of course) and from what we observed, everyone follows a pretty standard formula. At the end of the day, we saw many larger outfitters on the mountain taking up large groups of people and were very grateful to be with a smaller team on a private climb with such a great bunch of people. The Majestic Kilimanjaro team have years of experience and an attentive level of service which means you never find yourself wanting for anything.

We started planning our trip about 10 months before we left and enquired with a range of outfitters. Majestic Kiliminjaro were quick in their responses, happy to accommodate all our requests and most importantly, we liked the fact that profits stay in Tanzania. Their standard package includes everything you can possibly need to stay comfortable on the mountain. You are well fed (over fed), you have plenty of drinking water, you get sleeping mats and a private toilet. (Don’t underestimate the value of a private toilet!) Their equipment is in excellent condition and the team are super friendly. After a gruelling summit night, it was lovely to be welcomed back to base camp with a hot cup of tea and some congratulatory hugs from our cook and porters.

We did the Lemosho 8 day route to maximise our ability to acclimatise. It is a beautiful route with magnificent views along the way. Do it to give yourself the best chance to succeed. We look at our photos regularly and are still amazed at what we have seen and what we have achieved. It was one of the toughest physical and mental challenges we’ve ever done and we couldn’t have done it without Tumaini, Nelly (our assistant guide) and the team. Several times a day Tumaini would check on us to make sure we were eating enough, drinking enough and that we felt fit and healthy. With Majestic Kilimamjaro, you can be confident that you are in safe hands.

The safari was an equally amazing experience. Tumaini is incredibly knowledgable and was keen to make sure we saw everything we wanted to see. He would tell us little tidbits of information about every animal we saw and could name every bird and every plant. We were lucky enough to see some truly amazing animals up close and personal including elephants, lions, leopards, a cheetah, giraffes, zebras, hyenas….and the list goes on.

Once we booked with Majestic Kilimanjaro we had nothing left to organise. Tumaini himself picked us up from the airport, led our climb, took us on safari and then dropped us off at the airport when it was all over. It wasn’t a mish mash of tour groups, it was personalised service from start to finish and always with a smile. Tumaini is genuine and hard working with a lovely sense of humour. I would not hesitate to recommend Majestic Kilimanjaro and hope this review encourages you to consider letting the team look after you on your climb/safari.

Asante sana Tumaini and Majestic Kilimanjaro.

4  Thank Linhy_C
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Embarking on a journey as daunting as Mt Kilimanjaro took a degree of level headedness in almost every stage, from choosing a travel company to gear selection to final summit night courage, but the reward of Uhuru Peak and the view from the Roof of Africa makes every test more than worth it. The best piece of advice I could give anyone contemplating the climb is to have confidence in every decision you make let this carry you to the top!

The keys to building this confidence are gained by doing thorough groundwork before you reach Tanzania in the areas of physical conditioning, gear selection, and guide company selection. While I was going through this process I was interning in South Africa where I did not have a lot of time or the available resources to devote to training or finding the right gear, so in hindsight I learned that tour company selection is one of the most important choices you make, they end up being the glue that holds what training, gear, and confidence you have together and if you make the right choice they’ll help you make up for any area in which you’re lacking.

That being said, the company I choose was E-Trip Africa (http://www.etripafrica.com/mount_kilimanjaro) and I could not have been happier with my selection. From my timely pick-up and conversation with Ben at Kilimanjaro International to our thorough pre-trek team meeting, I had full confidence I would make it to the top. Our lead guide, Caspar, was heavily suave with experience and led us through a detailed examination of all our gear making sure we had was up to par, with a convenient rental company representative there to offer any needed supplies at a very reasonable rate.

As we set out along the Lemosho route my team of six trekkers quickly realized we would be rubbing elbows with several other groups as we had chosen a full moon hike (still definitely recommend this despite the crowds, they thin out closer to summit). This close proximity to other groups for the first few days allowed us to eye the other amenities offered by other companies and we quickly realized how lucky we were in comparison. Our “dining hall” tent (A.K.A. the Jack O’ Lantern) allowed us to enjoy our frequent warm beverages and near gourmet meals in protection from the elements, and our team consistently surged past on the trail, always pausing to say jambo, to have camp set up for us at the next site.

The unique dynamic energy that each and every member of our team brought to the journey became essential in trying times of fatigue, sickness, and hardship. Caspar quickly adapted to any unforeseen circumstances ranging from impromptu birthday celebrations to accommodating a team member who felt the affects of AMS. An important aspect I hadn’t thought about in a company was how well they are able to adapt to different fitness levels within a group, something that Caspar and his team did very well. Summit night he timed our ascent perfectly to watch the sunrise from Stella Point. Definitely recommend!

1  Thank Abe848
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Having returned in October from a successful trip to Kilimanjaro a friend of mine I must just say a “few” words of gratitude to the company we chose!
After a fair bit of research on the net and receiving numerous offers from a variety of guide companies – we finally decided to choose Kilimanjaro Heroes, a local company in Moshi and were NOT disappointed!
From the very beginning we felt that these guys were the ones for us. All initial questions were answered by mail quickly and informative by Evararist – founder of the company
There is an immense price differentiation and one can pay as much as $4000 for basically the same trip as another company can for offer for half the price so when all things were considered we went for the much cheaper alternative even though their offer contained all we wanted
From the moment we were met at the airport until being driven back there we felt really well looked after. The personal inspection of our kit at the hotel to make sure we had all the necessary equipment was proof that climbing Kilimanjaro was a serious business!
We chose the 8-day Lemosho route as it gave the best chance of acclimatisation – something we were glad of as the week went by
Our 2 guides Sabi & Mwini kept a constant watchful eye over us and made sure we drank plenty of water and stopped us from going too quickly, and even checking our physical condition with their oxymeter – all to minimize the risk of altitude sickness
Evenings were spent in our mess tent, eating great food prepared by their dedicated chef Dixon, often enjoying the company of Sabi who had many a wise word to say.
We thoroughly enjoyed each day, hiking through such a variation of terrain and it wasn’t really until the final night ascent from 4600m to the peak at 5900m that we felt the altitude. But with the encouragement of our guides we made it to the top by sunrise just as we had hoped - pretty exhausted but unbelievably happy!
So thanks to Evarist, Sabi, Mwini, Dixon & Jamu and the rest of the team at Kilimanjaro Heroes for making our visit unforgettable - we highly recommend these guys!
Andy Drake - Sweden

3  Thank AndyDrake
See more reviews
Reviewed 11 December 2013

As a solo traveller I joined a small group for a November full moon ascent via Machame route. My contact was Bejal of Kilimanjaro Tours UK; he was brilliant. Immediate response to a myriad of questions, doubts and worries. He advised re insurance and best flight deals. Having climbed himself the previous month he also gave me the best advice - get a lightweight down jacket that goes next to your body. Ace! bought one that weighed only 180grs and it was fantastic. I even slept in it towards the end when it was sooooo cold at night. No complaints about anything regarding the trek. It was very organised from the UK and Shah Tours took over at the Mountain Inn. Our guides, Nelson and Rocky were brilliant; totally professional, always reassuring and confident of our success - we all made it to the top! The porters were amazing, watching them carry massive packs up the Barranco wall was humbling. Be prepared to tip them well, very well - they deserve every dollar. The tents were good and the equipment available to hire was good quality - exception being water bottles, bring your own. The food was fresh and plentiful, high carbs, just what you need, although the sight and smell of the ugali porridge gets to you eventually. Everything was ready and waiting for us at the end of each days trek, even fresh popcorn and tea. The whole, incredible experience was, for me, faultless. I just have to keep looking at the photos to remind myself that I actually did it.

4  Thank annie m