Dar Soukaina
US$409
US$673
US$655
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmint teafemale travellersthe main squarecomfortable roomslocation is greatsahara deserta lovely stayan oasiscome homejemaa eljardin majorelleday tripbahia palaceeach morningbeautiful riadcall to prayeratlas mountains
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Beautiful riad with friendly owners. Free WiFi. Lovely breakfast with good coffee and nice variations each day. Would recommend to friends asking for a place to stay in Marrakech. 10mins walk from the souks with some spas nearby too. Sweet room with a traditional Moroccan clay bathroom with decent shower. Thanks to host Hamsa for a lovely stay :)

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2018

The reviews are very accurate. A hidden gem! An oasis in the craziness of Marrakech! The hosts were incredibly friendly and helpful. They made it a special trip. The food was lovely. You must pre-order. The rooms were quiet, clean and comfortable. I cannot fault this riad at all.

• Stayed: January 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2018

First time in Morocco and I wanted to stay at one of those gorgeous riads. We did not have airport pick-up but finding the riad, walking in and doing the check-in was a breeze. We arrived in a rainy day and their patio looked and smelled amazing, add to that the mint tea we were served while we waited to check in and Mohammed's professionalism and sighs, Moroccan fairy tale!. The room did not disappoint, it was even better than the pictures.. the walls, windows, colors, just amazing. The room was tolerably cold during the night despite the heat system installed and the lack of thick blankets. So far the experience had been excellent until we woke up the next morning when my sister showered at 8 am and I was next at around 8:30 only to find the water was cold (no, not warm or warm-ish- ICE cold, the kind you wash your hands very quickly with). I waited 10 mns to try again to no avail so my sister went to the reception to notify them about this problem. Mohammed had the day off and Bashir (sp?) was in charge... like day and night when it comes to service and manners!. He showed up with that regionally notorious smirk of men that find it hilarious (but degrading too) to interact with women, and with his finger called me to the bathroom and ironically showed me how to open the hot water. I remained respectful and said I had done that. He then said that it wasn't hot since all the guests were showering at that time but that I could still take a shower with that temperature. He said this while all bundled up for the chilly morning. His second option was to wait some more minutes, so I did that and kept checking but nothing, not even warm. While I did that, my sister tried to used the hair dryer but it wouldn't work. By 9:30 am the power went out in (so they said) the entire city and most of our room, despite being the morning, was so dark we had to use our cellphones, the female guest across from our room even went out to the hallway to finish putting her makeup on. I felt very desperate that we were approaching check-out time and I had a long day ahead (sightseeing plus night train) and we couldn't even finish getting ready since we had no electricity or water to shower. I decided to look for Bashir again hoping to find a way to shower later in the afternoon, after having already checked-out, considering the morning saga. When I found him, he was rude, sarcastic, had that same smirk and said I would have to go back within 5 hours (he later changed it to 4).. the whole time he would roll his eyes and basically took zero responsibility for lack of hot water when there was still electricity. I asked to speak to Mohammed since I was clearly talking to a wall and Bashir took me to him around the block. Mohammed was very sweet, apologized and even offered to pay for a spa nearby so we could shower in the evening if we wanted, I said I would opt for just going back to the riad in 4 hours. So I did but since this was Mohammed's day off, I was back with Bashir and.. I'm still trying to process his treatment. No word, just rolling eyes, he led me to a room and said "you have 20 minutes, then out". I rushed in and as I was getting out of the shower, not even 15 minutes later, he started knocking wanting me to get out. He left but sent the girls to wait outside, think of someone letting a homeless person shower in their home and getting uncomfortable after 5 minutes. I asked him if I could finish dressing somewhere (already feeling quite humiliated by his overall treatment) and he told me to follow him with this gross attitude (like with his treatment he will make this "demanding, entitled foreigner" come down to earth) and pointed at a room. I finished getting ready and left. Little does he know, I come from a developing country too and have met MANY men like him, that just see women as so hilariously inferior (especially when they're by themselves, with no men around them to validate whatever they're asking for), his treatment had little to do with the demand in question but who it was coming from. In conclusion, and this I have learned managing a business and staff myself: you can run a business that looks beautiful and gives the best first impression and is okay in a normal day but if you have someone that does not share the same values, that behaves in a way that is inconsistent with the place and behavior of the rest of the staff, his customer service will be deplorable under stressful situations (such as the alleged power outage in the city and a not really extravagant request from one guest). This guy is incompetent and rude and can't think of, let alone accept, alternatives to make the experience of a guest a positive one, and he is most certainly not ready to interact with all genders despite being in a tourist area with prices that directly target foreigners. It's amazing how one employee can just taint the whole experience. I can only compare this riad as a beautifully presented meal that's a little rancid once you taste it.

• Stayed: February 2018, traveled with friends
1  Thank 0claudia08
Reviewed December 28, 2017 via mobile

We stayed at this riad for 3 nights in December 2017. If I could give 2.5 stars instead of 3.0 stars, I would. If you read any of this review, read the last paragraph as it’s the most important part. Here are our thoughts:

The location is relatively good. It’s about a 10 minute walk to the main square where a lot of vendors are located (Jamaa el-Fna) and a 2 minute walk to the street vendors. The downside is that it is located on a dead end alleyway without a lot of foot traffic so some travelers may not feel safe. That being said, we did not experience any safety issues in the streets.

The hotel arranged a round trip taxi to/from the airport. The taxi was not private and we had to wait on others to get through customs before we could leave in the taxi. This held us up about 30 minutes. I recommend taking a private taxi. There are plenty at the airport exit. We paid 30 euro for the round trip taxi so I think you can get a private taxi for less money.

Our room had a private bathroom but I do not know if all rooms have this feature. I recommend asking because other people we met who were staying at other riads said their rooms did not have a private bathroom.

Our room had a heater but it did not work. We turned it up to 30 degrees Celsius (86 degrees F) and it still blew out cold air directly onto the bed. The room had a heavy blanket so we used it because the room temperature was about 45 degrees F at night and in the early morning. Very very cold for sleeping conditions.

A call to prayer happened at 5:30 each morning and it lasted 30 minutes. The windows in the room are not solid glass; they are open with steel security bars and wooden privacy shutters, which is typical in Morocco. I recommend bringing ear plugs for sleeping so you cannot hear the noise outside. This is not the riad’s fault and it doesn’t affect the rating I’m giving the riad.

The door to our room did not lock from the inside. Someone tried to enter our room during the middle of the night but I scared them off before they could get into the room. I think it was another guest just looking to see what was next to them because it was not possible to tell the difference between guest rooms and janitorial/common area rooms.

The entry to the riad had a key code for security. However, the door was left open on two occasions, which means anyone could have entered from the outside, which is a major security issue.

Two months before our arrival, the staff booked a 3 day 2 night desert camel ride excursion for us. They charged 85 euro per person for the group tour. Other people on our excursion paid 70 euro per person so I guess we got taken advantage of on the price. In summary, you ride in an 18 passenger van for 2 days to the Algerian border, ride camels for 30 minutes and watch the sun set, sleep in a tent with 7 other people (there are two tents), then ride 8 hours back to Marrakech. It was fun but I don’t recommend if comfort, food and privacy are important to you. We stopped at tourist traps 8 times in the 3 day trip... very frustrating and slow. A private tour was available but it cost 300+ euro per person and we felt it was too expensive. I will say that the stars above the Sahara desert in the middle of the night after the moon has gone down are absolutely amazing and were the highlight of our trip and made the trip worthwhile. However, the camel riding portion was a disappointment.

MAJOR ISSUE WITH THIS RIAD:
The staff was extremely helpful and polite until it was time to pay the bill as we were leaving, which is the most important part. When we booked the room 2+ months ago, we told the staff in an email that “we would stay at the riad the evenings of 23, 24 and 27” because the camel trip would be on December 25 and 26. When we left for the camel trip on the morning of the 25th, we offered to pay for those two nights but the hotel said we could pay on the 28th when we were leaving. We also vacated the room and returned the key on the 25th so they could let others use the room. When we returned to the riad on 12/27, the staff told us we would be charged for 5 nights even though we only stayed there for 3 nights and we vacated the room the other 2 nights. I argued with staff for 15 minutes in the lobby. I showed them a copy of the email we sent requesting a 3 night stay, as well as the staff’s written response confirming the 3 night stay. I asked to speak with the owner but was told she was not available. When I told them I recorded the conversation and would report them to Visa and dispute the charge, they agreed to waive the other 2 nights. In the end, it all worked out but they were obviously trying to take advantage of a foreign tourist, which is typical in Morocco. If you book the camel tour, I recommend confirming IN WRITING that you will not be charged for the dates you are not at the hotel.

I’ve never been to Morocco before so I do not want to unfairly judge the riad on things that are typical in other riads in Morocco but I want to state the facts about our experience so others will know what they’re getting for their money. This riad was highly rated on Trip Advisor, which is why we selected it. However, if we ever come back to Marrakech, we will stay somewhere else.

Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2017

So the Dar is wonderful. Very comfortable, very accommodating. Lovely people! Rooms are clean and water hot. BUT....what really is amazing is how they went out of their way to help us! Our air bnb ended up being a bust and we had NO place to stay! We had left our bags with them while hiking in the Atlas mountains (already a bonus) and had picked them up. When we called asking for help - they did not hesitate! We stayed at a related place (equally cute and to be reviewed highly) and offered my daughter hot chocolate as we waited. We were a family of three without a place to stay for three hours. We so appreciated their helpfulness and kindness!

• Stayed: December 2017, traveled with family