Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM

from US$40.00
from US$20.27
from US$30.94
18,624 results
All reviews snake charmers narrow streets the main square donkey carts crazy place shop keepers hustle and bustle leather goods food stalls for sale orange juice jemaa el maze vendors bargain tourists motor
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 September 2019

This is the reason you come to Marrakech . i would go before sunset ,find a bar with a balcony and watch the square change to a vibrant place .

2  Thank Steven C
Reviewed 25 September 2019

This is what everyone remembers from Marrakech and although it pays to be alert (don't fall for any scams (if someone says you've dropped something!) and keep your belongings close but also enjoy yourself!

2  Thank Sam W
Reviewed 25 September 2019 via mobile

Tons of colours, tons of items to see eat and smell. Just do not let anyone take you to his shop, you go wherever you want to go. Shop owners in Marrakesh press a lot.
So... You see a fancy bag or something you want to buy! What to do now?
The policy of the shop's owners in Marrakesh is buying something for 0.1€ and sell in for up to 600€ (those are real numbers which I cannot cite unfortunaltely). So do not feel bad to bargain. Never pay more than 20 - 30% of the initial price, so you will not get scammed and they will still make a decent profit. A typical winner strategy is the following...(real story)

- how much for this bag? (Never seem very interested in something even if you feel in love with the item)
-6000 dirhams, it is hand made and very good quality (this is what they say)
-oh no no no I cannot do that! It's my last day of trip and I cannot give that much (or make a better story)
-how much can you pay? (Now you set the number. The floor is the limit)
-i can give you 50 (a strategy is setting a much lower price in order to increase it through the bargain to your desired one, e.g I wanted to pay up to 70 and I initialized at 50)
-a serious price please (in this point everyone quits but this is the point where everyone does not get the point...there are thousands of shop's in the Medina and you choose where to give that money, so you have the power and you set the price, there is nothing serious, just money to be spent).
-50 is the best I can do my friend
-75?
-uugh still to much, I can do 60
-but is is hand made, good quality etc. Etc.
-no my friend, I cannot buy from you but no problem (in this point I turn to leave, They know that if you leave their shop you will never come again because there are tons of them with the same items, so he would rather get your money than leaving anyone else take them, in this test, in up to 5 steps away, he will call you back either the say a slightly higher price either to agree with your price)
-(after I shave walked 3 - 5 steps away) my friend! We are ok!
-so from 600 we went down at 60 €....

P.s:
(1) this applies to the Medina and of course not in jewelery shops or places with fine pieces of art.

(2) they buy their items at extremely low prices, so even by paying this much he still made more than 1000% profit. Technically I still got scammed but at least I paid much less than I would in my country for such item and he has to make a living as well. So there are no ethics issue here.

(3) if you don't want to no this, go to Fes for shopping, it is much cheaper.

2  Thank Ioannis_kout
Reviewed 25 September 2019 via mobile

Medina in Marrakech is super alive, with tons of little shops and fruit/juice stands, a lot of tourists and variety of smells. You can easily get lost in the maze of streets, but don't worry, you can ask some shop owners for directions, not everyone wants money from you :)

2  Thank traveling_mandarine
Reviewed 24 September 2019

Medina at night is an amazing sight, light noise and crowd, can be a little daunting but go with it and enjoy some negotiating.
By day it is a different place, stay out of the middle with the green umbrellas just enjoy the maze of shopping alleys, great fun. Just be cautious, keep your money and property safe.

2  Thank thaiholiday2018