3,282 results
All reviews moroccan restaurant animation team african night zanzibar bar bar salon evening entertainment table tennis shuttle bus main restaurant french boules indoor pool thomson rep arabic lessons water polo tennis courts great holiday plenty of sunbeds
Reviewed 6 July 2015

We have just got back from 11 days at this hotel, and overall it was OK – just OK.

There is some maintenance work going on here, (something Thomson forgot to tell us about!) and although the work is shielded with white plastic sheets it can get obtrusive – like the other day drilling and hammering whilst I was trying to relax around the pool!

But, that was not the worst – one morning we were woken at six o’clock with really loud banging right outside our room, I phoned reception, and although they advertise 24-hour service no one answered!

I tried another number and eventually spoke to some one who thought I wanted to check out, so I had to get dressed, and go down to reception to speak to someone.

The drilling stopped – but only for an hour or so, and just as I was getting nice and cosy, the hammering started again. I complained again, and it stopped…

But at nine o’clock it started again and this time my complaints were ignored, the hammering went on and on.

I went to see the Thomson rep, who in turn got the manager of the hotel, and of course I got all of the standard apologies and an offer of another ‘superior’ room to move into.

I have to say that this room was just a little out of the way, very nice, and extremely quiet.

But here a note to the hotel management if they are reading this:

Customer service skills – do not wait until a customer complains three times before you do anything!

Far better customer service skills are that you advise the customer before that there is liable to be some disruption and noise that may affect comfort so we would like to move you into a quieter room!!!

The food:

I did read in other reports that many complained about the lack of variety with the food – and yes it is a bit samey (ok if you like bolognaise, it was on every lunch and evening when we were there) but we always found something nice to eat.

The pool:

Absolutely amazing, spotless, huge, and given the number of people around it, still tranquil, relaxing and peaceful, when there’s no drilling close by!

We are not the type to rush down with the towels at stupid o’clock in the morning, and we always found a couple of sun beds

The drinks:

Hidious, ridiculous- I am an ex publican and many previous reports complaining about the ‘watered down drinks’ are right.

There are no drunks here!

The beer resembles coloured water, the cocktails mixed in what looks like a blender, and then thrown in a glass devoid of any flair, or presentation and are not very nice to drink. No sign of a cocktail mixer – you even have to get your own straw!

I love Sangria and without doubt at this hotel it was the worst I have ever had...anywhere! Horrible!

The spirits are a joke, miniscule, even by UK standards the measures are tiny, the barman tries to hide the glass so you cant see how little he is pouring in the glass, and then quickly fills the glass with the mixer. Its almost as if there is a competition between the bar staff on how little spirit they can pour!

I assume the wine is local, and it is quite acceptable, although strangely during the day the wine gets poured into a plastic beaker – about two to three glasses in each!

The bar closes at exactly midnight, and this coincides with some of the charm of the bar staff turning off as well. You will not get a drink after midnight even if you have been stood waiting for a while.

The daytime activities are OK, and the team that run them are fantastic, always jolly, smiling chatting and joking with people trying to get everyone involved with what’s going on – but not too much in your face.

The entertainment in the evening ranges from the very good - to the down right dreadful, and I do wish the guy that sits in the lounge and plays piano guitar and sings, would show an expression and smile…just a little.

The grounds and gardens of this complex are huge, and everywhere is neat and tidy, and as I said before spotlessly clean.

Overall, my gripes apart, it’s not a bad hotel…and the hotel staff are fantastic.

Stayed: July 2015
5  Thank Peter M
Reviewed 5 July 2015

I travelled to Riu Tikida gardens for four days with my boyfriend, after spending months looking for 'somewhere different' to holiday- we chose Marrakech with Thomson.

POSITIVES:
The hotel is the perfect compromise between a big resort and a hotel that can still provide a tailor made experience for each guest. The pool is lovely, a brilliant temperature and not too busy. In terms of 'all inclusiveness' food and drink is available just about all day - in various establishments in the hotel. Staff - in general are very accommodating and friendly. Despite being located slightly out of the center of the city- the hotel is compounded and feels very secure, a shuttle bus operates every day at many times - this is well worth doing. Every morning you awake to the most joyous sound of exotic birds and a beautiful climate- what a fabulous place on Earth. wifi is fine, above average in room 449. Last but not least- the maid was AMAZING she made our room so beautiful every day.

NEGATIVES:
On our first night just after arrival we had a security issue- we reported said issue to hotel staff and they laughed at us and said not to worry. Therefore it became our sole responsibility to contact embassies/security services without the support of the hotel. Some note that the food is repetitive, which it is on occasions.. But to cater for so many people on an all inclusive basis doesn't exactly lay the basis for Michelin star dining- for the price- the food is more than acceptable. Air con isn't great- just leave it on all day to achieve a comfortable temperature. Entertainment at night hurt my soul- one night the staff put on a 'MISS Riu' competition which saw women being 'judged' by a panel of male guests based on their ability to 'sexy walk' and 'dance' - eughhhhh very painful to watch.

TRIPS/MARRAKECH IN GENERAL:
We did the 'Marrakech by night' tour organised by Thomson- £25 each. We enjoyed the trip as it meant going to the old town at night in a safely organised means of transport with other tourists. A great way to see the city, Be warned however- Henna artists can apply a tattoo in seconds - as soon as you shake their hands you have sealed a deal and will be expected to pay. Similarly if people approach you asking if you need directions - say no. 8/10 times they will get you lost and then you'll have to pay them to show your the way back! Nonetheless - the market is spectacular - a once in a lifetime experience- go see it!!

We organised a tour to Cascades D'Ouzoud with 'Rough tours' an external tour company. It was a private tour €90 each. This was THE highlight of our holiday absolutely stunning and our tour guide was brilliant. Thomson offer a tour of the Cascades but as part of a coach load- you will miss out on an amazing personalised experience booking with Thomson- although this seems the more secure option.

We will be returning to Marrakech as a location- and the price of Riu Tikida Garden doesn't do it justice despite its faults!

Room Tip: 449 room was lovely- very classy.
  • Stayed: June 2015, traveled as a couple
6  Thank travellerbbs
Reviewed 5 July 2015

Had a very enjoyable week in Marrakech.

My first comment would be to compliment the staff. It was particularly hot while we were there, temperatures reached 47 degrees at one point! It was also Ramadan. Despite not being able to eat between 3am and 7.45ish they were always attentive, serving food, clearing away all the waste food - which at any all inclusive is a lot! Even going for a drink before dinner, there wasn't a mass exodus of staff at sundown so that they could all go and eat, service really never stopped.

Some quick points;
1) The bus into town is great. They say to book, but I would say most people seemed to never leave the hotel so we never had any problems. I see some people complaining about the times but the bus goes at 9,10,11,12, 2,3,4 and returns at 10.15,11.15,12.15,2.15,3.15 and 5. Some people also saying it drops you at a weird place. It is essentially halfway between the old and new town. Also, if you miss the bus, a taxi won't cost more than 50 dirhams which is about £3-£3.50.
2) I would advise 'reserving' a sunbed at the time you go down to breakfast if plan on spending a day by the pool

Negatives
1) The food. This would be the main issue with the hotel. We both seemed a bit tired with the food by the end of the week. Particularly lunch which was pretty similar most days. Choice was okay, and the Moroccan things on offer were not actually too bad. Part of the problem is clearly that quite a lot of the guests would not touch any of the food that wasn't Western, and therefore there is not as much point putting a lot of effort into the Moroccan options. If you are worried about the food however, every meal there will be chips, plain rice, usually some kind of plain meat (or with a simple marinade) or fish, and a pasta bar with bolognese and tomato sauces. The salad bar was also decent, although maybe got a bit repetitive after a while. I would definitely recommend the Moroccan restaurant, just for a bit of variety really.
2) Air conditioning - I am not sure if we had a dodgy room or not (although we moved rooms halfway through as our lights stopped working) but the air conditioning was not great. Our room seemed hotter than the outside corridors and was pretty difficult to sleep in. A fan would have been appreciated.
3) Just a few niggly things that could be improved on - e.g fridge in first room didn't really work, rooms not well lit, wifi very variable although was nice to switch off for a week, cleaning staff were trying to rush us out our room which was a bit annoying. There were also workmen working relatively loudly outside our room quite early in the morning. However, most of these problems i would be willing to accept due to the heat and Ramadan, you would obviously want to get work done as early in the morning as possible, and it would clerly be very difficult to pay attention to details when you can't eat or drink all day.

All in all, not a bad week. For the price we paid, probably an absolute bargain. A good base for exploring the city.

• Stayed: June 2015, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Scott P
Reviewed 5 July 2015 via mobile

Arrived back from this wonderful hotel yesterday. The staff were friendly and welcoming, nothing was too much trouble . The hotel was well maintained and clean, some minor renovations were in progress but these were being done as discretely as possible. The food was varied and well presented and service in the restaurants was excellent . Our room was clean and spacious and the bed was large and comfortable . The pool is large and well maintained , it has a lot of sun loungers but poolside ones are popular and go quickly, however there are plenty of other options . Marrakech itself is a bustling city full of contrasts and contradictions. It is vibrant, colourful and an attack on your senses. Saying that a visit to the souks and all they have to offer is essential - just keep your wits about you! For a more peaceful look at Morocco a visit to the Atlas Mountsins is a must. We took a 4x4 tour with Thompson , organised by our rep who was at the hotel daily, and we had a great day. All in all a wonderful week giving us a life time of memories.

Stayed: July 2015, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WendyFenner
Reviewed 4 July 2015

Hotel good value, entertainment team were fantastic. I will never forget the MrRIU night!! Marrakech is an interesting place to visit. Staff can not do enough at the hotel, all have a great sense of humour and make you feel very welcome. Make sure you book the Moroccan restaurant, otherwise food can get repetitive.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view, helps with reserving beds.
  • Stayed: June 2015, traveled with friends