“Great drive”
Review of Nakalele Blowhole

Nakalele Blowhole
Ranked #54 of 396 things to do in Maui
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We came at the wrong time and the blowhole was not active, but the surrounding cliffs offer excellent views and the drive to get here was excellent. I don't recommend going past this location though; the road gets more narrow and ridiculous the further east you go.

Be aware you have to walk down a relatively steep, rocky path to get to the blowhole. Sandals would be a poor choice here, as my wife found out.

All reviews
in 27 reviews
"small sign"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was one of the favorite things we did while in Maui. It was beautiful and so grand and majestic!!
A few tips:
1) Wear hiking/workout clothes! It is a very rocky hike up and down the hills.
I like to wear sandals as much as possible but I was glad I wore tennis shoes for this hike.
2) Take sunscreen and/or a hat - we were in the full sun for at least 30 minutes and would have gone further but we left the sunblock in the car.
3) You can park between miles 38 & 39 and get down to the blowhole.
4) Young kids can do it but you will go much slower as parts are bit of a tougher hike. There were plenty of kids out there - just be prepared for slow going.
5) Parking is along the street
6) There are not really any signs on how to get to the blowhole. We just followed the crowd and then asked people along the way and finally got there.

1  Thank lovet0travel13
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a wonderful drive that leads to several amazing look-out points and a few hikes as well. The hike down to the blowhole is doable but it is not easy...wear tennis shoes NOT flip flops. Keep going down the road and enjoy what the North side's beauty. Also note that there are no rest stops (aka potty areas) and be sure to bring water/snacks too. And don't forget cash, as there will be stands with amazing local food offerings.

1  Thank 3deltas
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The first time we went to look for the Blow Hole we found a couple other places to see. We thought that it was at mile marker 35, so we didn't quite get to it. It turns out to be at mile marker 38. It's well marked when you get there. Is it worth the drive? The drive is worth the drive. Some tight turns and maybe even large rocks in the road. But along the way there are a few stops that are worth while. The blow Hole itself isn't an easy walk if you want to get down to it. I'd say there are a few paths to get to it, but it's more like you create a path to get to it. I would advise closed toe shoes or some type of hiking shoe. People were going down to it with flip flops on. I don't know if they made it all the way down, but that's not something I would try. I scuffed up my shoes getting to it. I didn't care and would do it again. Remember, this is mostly lava rock that you're maneuvering down.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

With just a short drive north of Lahaina/Kahana, you can see beautiful countryside, ocean views, colorful cliffs, and this wonder of nature. There is plenty of parking near the blowhole, and a short, easy walk down to a viewpoint. Some people walked down close to the blowhole, but that looks challenging and possibly slippery and dangerous. From the upper area you can watch as the waves force the water into geysers of various sizes. It is definitely someplace to experience something special (for free!) on Maui.