“Breathtaking Vista & Swim”

Ranked #222 of 405 things to do in Maui
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Like others have stated, this is a perfect stop along the Road to Hana but be very careful of the walk from where you park back to the falls and bridge. Drivers are crazy insane. To get down to the falls you have a couple of options but I highly recommend using water shoes or runners as the rocks are covered in algae and moss and it makes for a slippery walk to and from the swimming hole.

We took our 13 year old down to the falls but our 9 year old was too nervous given the climbing involved on the trail.

1  Thank Kevin F
"trek"
"rocks"
"trail"

Reviewed 13 March 2018

This was one of the more beautiful waterfalls we stopped at on the Road to Hana. We parked past the falls and walked down the road to it. Being 7 months pregnant, I didn't dare "hike" down to the falls, but my husband did, while I stayed on the bridge and watched him. He really wanted to swim here, so it's a shame I couldn't make it down. The drop off to get down to the trail is crazy steep! It was beautiful though!

1  Thank VEE1225
Reviewed 10 March 2018

Photogenic and worth the stop but stopping will be be a bit tricky.
Nicknamed the 3 Bears, there is a poppa sized one, a mumma one and a baby bear. They are on the right as you cross one of the many narrow one-way bridges. You might see one or two cars pulled off to the right but there is barely room for these ones and it’s a non-parking zone anyway. Instead keep going across the bridge and there is a bay with a number of parking spots on the left. You’ll need to walk back down the road. It's a bit hairy as there is no footpath so you might not want to do this if you have small children with you.
From the bridge, you’ll have a good view of the falls, the beautiful pool beneath and the Jurassic Park like cliffs and ferns. You can also go down beside the falls - if you are bit adventurous. On a good day you can stand under the water. The stairs are on the other side of the bridge. We were very tempted to give it a go but we decided against it as the footing looked a little dodgy. The day we were there was rainy so it was pretty muddy and slippery looking. On the upside, that meant that there was a lot of water in the waterfalls. On another sunnier day, I’d definitely have wanted to try it.

2  Thank Mairwen1
Reviewed 15 June 2017

Just a great, cool stop to see a neat some neat waterfalls. Right off the highway. Very popular, in rainy weather it is less crowded but more intense.

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 April 2017

The first time I did the Road to Hana I only admired these beauties from the road and I'm so glad this time around I made the trek to the bottom. If you are older or not physically fit the extremely short hike down might seem difficult, but for able bodied people it's not as frightening as other reviewers make it out to be. Just exercise wisdom and go slow as it is probably going to be slippery but you will be fine. I recommend driving past these falls and parking up the road on the next curve. Use caution when walking back down the road because of course people are driving at you on a winding road. When you reach the bridge you can climb down on either the right or left side of the side closest to you (in other words do not cross the bridge)...I recommend the right hand or ocean side. Carefully make your way under the bridge and the rocky trail is very evident through the trees and only take a few minutes to reach your destination. If the pool is brown or the falls are raging don't go in because of the high risk for bacteria and/or injury, but otherwise enjoy this perfect piece of paradise. These falls are unique which is why they're so great to visit. I've seen loads of waterfalls on Hawaii and these are definitely some of my favorites, not for the crowds, but for their one-of-a-kind beauty.

2  Thank Hawaiiheart9815