“Snorkeling”

and up
Honolua Kayak and Snorkel Expedition
Ranked #53 of 406 things to do in Maui
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

This was my favorite spot on Maui to snorkel. We swam with so many green sea turtles. It was protected and out of the waves so made for good snorkeling conditions. We went to the left of the beach. You will see the catamarans parked off shore, we stayed to the left of them or sw side of the bay. It is rocky getting in the water and slippery algae on the rocks. But once in the water, the clarity is incredible. Yellow tangs immediately upon entering water. Beware of sea urchins close to shore.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"porta potties"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 4 April 2018

The snorkeling here is amazing! I was able to see an incredible amount of fish and coral and being in a bay there wasn't nearly as many waves pushing and pulling you. I also note that there were a few tour boats there but I didn't feel surrounded while swimming. Plus just think that people are paying to be where you are and you aren't paying!

The walk to the beach is absolutely beautiful! The trail is very easy to walk but is a little long. The trail is surrounded by lush plants and amazing trees! There are also porta potties available at the entrance!

The beach is a rock beach but you can bring chairs to sit on. You will also find yourself surrounded by a few chickens but they don't bother you.

I also highly recommend that you get a banana muffin and smoothie from the Honolua Food Truck across from the entrance!

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We have snorkeled here all three times we visiting Maui. It is an quick drive from the Lahaina/Kahana area, and a good place to snorkel when other areas have rough water. There had been a lot of rain just before we came, and the water quality was not as good this trip. In fact, it was absolutely murky close to shore but once we got out a ways it cleared up. We saw tons of fish, just one turtle this time, and even saw some whales just outside the bay as we were leaving! It is a rocky shore, but you can get in safely if you take your time. The walk down through the forest to the beach is fantastic, so lush and green, feels otherworldly! Even if you are not snorkeling, a short walk from the parking area is well worth it, and you will get some fantastic pictures.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

In my youth I dreamed of surfing at Honolua Bay after seeing breathtaking images in surfing magazines of huge, perfect waves crashing over the outer reef. I was not disappointed even though there wasn't a surfable wave that day. The horse shoe shaped bay is perfectly pristine with bush growing down to the rocky shore. It was a glorious sunny day with no-one else around so it felt like paradise lost. Spectacularly beautiful.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 April 2018

The day was overcast but we decided to head to Honolua Bay after reading about it on TripAdvisor. The hike in was incredible! Lush plants and spectacular trees. The beach is very rocky. Bring water shoes for sure. Once you get in, be sure to swim to the right side and don't be afraid to swim all the way to the mouth of the bay. The water was slightly murky and dark due to the overcast day but what an experience! So many incredible fish, an octopus, White Mouthed Moray Eel and gorgeous mountains of coral. We must of snorkelled for about 1.5 hours and we only stopped because we were getting a bit chilled. I have snorkelled in many beautiful places but I have to admit this was one of my favourites. So much to see and gorgeous variety. Just don't snorkel when it has been raining and the water is brown from run-off.

2  Thank rosieandrollie