All reviews lion fish eagle rays boat ride south dock honeymoon cabana small island chef chris island staff turtle excursion the entire island turtle spot island paradise sea life dive shop private island remote island the great barrier reef
Reviewed 1 May 2018

Matt and his crew do an excellent job of making you feel at home. The resort is already incredibly nice, but the plans for the future have us itching to go back.

Great excursions available form the island as well. Highly recommended!

Stayed: April 2018
2  Thank KatsuJK
Reviewed 26 April 2018

The island is exclusive and very safe. I remember chilling in a hammock after sunset and really appreciating how relaxed and safe I felt.

You can hop in the water anytime and snorkel around the island. Beautiful. Scuba was incredible and well-priced!

Dining gets 5 stars- everything is freshly caught, delicious, and authentic. No cliche resort crap.

Wonderful, friendly staff. Thank you to the guy who went and chopped a coconut for me so I could have coconut water!

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Erika K
Reviewed 24 April 2018 via mobile

Sailing with Tradewinds Cruise Club we anchored at Hatchet Caye for the night. Most of our day at Hatchet we spent snorkeling and swimming. The water around Hatchet is full of life including the Lion Fish we viewed under the dock.

After being in the water all afternoon we went back to our boat to clean up before dinner. It was incredible. The menu changes nightly with fantastic specials . Next time we plan to spend a few days at Hatchet Caye before we go sailing. What a maginificent island in the middle of paradise!

Stayed: April 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2018

Everything positive that everyone has said is true. Lovely place, lovely staff, lovely food, the best snorkeling right from the resort that we have had since Tahiti. Just the best...once you get there. Our flight from Belize City to Placencia stopped 4 times in 35 minutes-I called it the plane who thought it was a bus. Then our 1 hour and 15 minute boat ride, in the small boat was nothing short of horrendous. My husband is still having back pain from the beating we took. I was soaking wet by the time we landed and when the manager met us at the dock and asked how the boat trip was, I just said, "Look at me, how do you think it was?" He handed us a delicious fresh juice drink and said he was going to take us on a tour of the island, and I said after you take me by the bar, where I told the startled bartender to pour rum into the juice until I said stop. After 2 healthy slugs, we took our tour and the nightmare began to fade. I am told they have a better boat coming and I will insist on it when we return. We loved staying in Cabana 3 for 5 nights. It was great, but like everyone says there is no where to put your clothes, but we made it work. We loved our personal deck and chairs and the hammocks where the ocean breeze and surf sounds made the perfect place for relaxing. The food was fresh and healthy and I thought very reasonably priced. The first 3 nights the food service for dinner was incredibly slow, but after that, I think the food was even better and the service drastically improved. A couple of tips: ask the driver who takes you from the airport in Placencia to stop by a store to pick up snacks, wine and some water. The water is considered safe on the island but my system did not like it-we bought bottled water every day. Wine at the resort was ok and was about $30.00-$45.00/bottle. There is no store at the resort to buy snacks-they have a few at the activity hut but it is not air conditioned so I cannot imagine what shape they are in. Next year, we will be bringing the suggested items.

My fear is that this paradise may be lost. The staff is trying their best to be optimistic, but for sure the quiet will be ruined with the planned jet skis and I fear for the beautiful coral, some of which is very close to the surface of the water. Some of the new plans, a few more, fancier Cabanas, a new restaurant, just for resort visitors and a fitness center sound ok to me. I am a workout junkie and utilized the crows nest on top of the office, above the massage room, and they gave me a yoga mat for the duration of the stay, but a real fitness room would be nice I guess. I hope for the sake of the lovely staff that things stay mostly the same. We loved visiting with the incredible gardener, where he grew most of the greens that were in the nightly delicious salads, and we watched the carpenter build a gorgeous bench the week we were there. These staff members live on the resort for 3 weeks and then go home for a week, so they treat the resort like it is home, with love and deep respect. My husband and I have traveled all over the Caribbean looking for an island we could love like we did Tahiti and in Hatchet Caye, we found it-I hope we don't lose it.

Room Tip: Don't know now that things are changing but we loved number 3.
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LATaz
Reviewed 9 April 2018

Hatchet Caye was unreal. We were in constant amazement that such an idyllic place exists outside of the imagination. There was plenty to do, including snorkeling around the island, dive trips, Hobie Cat sailing, kayaking and stand up paddleboarding. On top of that, the staff is just amazing - warm, friendly and welcoming. All of them, regardless of their job at Hatchet Caye, had great local knowledge about snorkeling and diving and were happy to share. The food was superlative. It is hard to believe that they can offer such an extensive and fresh menu on a remote island that only can accommodate a small number of guests. The snorkeling and diving program was awesome. Snorkeling with turtles, dolphins, rays and nurse sharks was quite an amazing experience. The experience of being on a small, tranquil island away from the crowds and noise was rejuvenating and soul-cleansing. Truly an incredible vacation.

• Stayed: April 2018, traveled with family