“Excellent Diving (this review is exclusively for the diving part), The Blue Hole.”
Review of Huracan Diving

Huracan Diving
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Long Caye
More attraction details
Owner description: Open since 2008 Huracan Diving Lodge is the only top rated dive center offering all inclusive vacation packages in the entire Atoll. Our world famous dive sites are all just minutes away from your accommodation at the Lodge. Being 50 miles out in the open ocean, Long Caye also offers some world class deep water fishing as well as flats and bone fishing just minutes away The Great Blue Hole is within sight of our dock and Half Moon Caye will greet you with every morning sunrise from the beach. Forget liveaboard diving… With us, you can “liveashore” and still enjoy deserted dive sites, a private Blue Hole experience, amazing food with fabulous people. Also take advantage of sand underfoot, hammocks on our pier, birds spotting, trails you can run or walk, and dive sites to explore by kayak. Snorkel around the island explore the deserted beaches and find traces of the ancient Mayan world right here on the island. The best scuba diving and snorkeling in the Caribbean. Small private groups with no time limit diving. The only way to dive the Blue Hole and Lighthouse Reef Atoll. Rated #1 Dive Center & Lodge Accommodation Within Lighthouse Reef Atoll ! Only 12 Minutes from your bed to the Blue Hole and 5 minutes to Half Moon Caye. 2 – 5 minutes to most of Belize’s famous dive sites. We offer Professional and Personalized service. Untouched littoral forest surrounds Huracan Diving on the private island of Long Caye, the only permanently inhabited island of the five within Lighthouse Reef Atoll.
Reviewed 1 June 2018

Yes, here i am reviewing the Diving operation not the Diving Lodge in its entirety (which has a separate review). The reason for this is because even though they are intimately related and owned by the same company, the quality provided by both are very different.

Huracan Diving, the diving outfit is great. Starting with the Dive Masters, Boat Captain and support staff, they are very experienced, with an emphasis on safety and following PADI procedures and very good at communicating expectations during briefings. They do have equipment for rent, if you don´t want to bring your own or you forgot something.

The diving in Long Caye is mostly drift diving around the reef and the atolls and some wall diving. Temperature of the water is your ideal 84 degrees F year round (on average). I was fine with a 3 mm shorty. The weather in late May was fine, with occasional thunderstorms and 2 feet seas at the most. When it gets hot, it is hot alright and sunny and bright as well. It is then a pleasure doing your back roll onto a water of many hues of blue.

The Mega Fauna that we observed included many types of sharks and turtles, eagle rays and sting rays. The reef seemed to be healthy, with your typical array of caribbean fishes, soft and hard corals and sponges. Lion Fish are hunted regularly and we did not encounter many. In fact you can join in the hunting effort. Visibility was in the 60 to 70 feet range routinely.

HALF MOON CAYE DIVE SITES: Very rich in sealife since it is a protected area. I saw the biggest loggerhead turtle ever. We joked that it looked like a mini morris.The island with its bird sanctuary is a nice place for a surface interval (gift shop, restrooms and plenty of coconuts to enjoy fresh coconut water).

THE BLUE HOLE: The dive master did a prior training deep dive to gauge everyone skills and comfort because diving the Blue Hole requires you to be proficient in your diving, your buoyancy, your awareness and understanding of the risks, including oxygen narcosis. Luckily all in the group were found qualified to do the Blue Hole dive but this is not always the case, so if you are turned down, don´t be upset, it is for your safety. If you read this review prior to your trip, get a refresher course and get training on this type of diving. Huracan Lodge is only 20 minutes from the Blue Hole and so we were the first boat at the site and had the whole place for ourselves during our dive, which was not only cool, but also safer as it eliminated another opportunity for confusion. The weather was fine and we got there at 7:30 am. We jumped after the Dive Master in groups of two, committed to keeping an eye on each of our buddies. The visibility was amazing, probably 100 feet or so, as we dived the gin clear waters in our descent. You will go first to 40 feet, where the edge of the Blue Hole (an ancient cavern system from the last ice age) starts. Here is where the DM determines if some people should abort or continue the dive. We were all clear to go down and the descent to 130 feet came rather quickly, yet in a controlled manner. We saw some large reef sharks and a huge nurse shark, guarding the mouth of the Hole. The effects of oxygen narcosis commonly set in here, even though you only spend minutes at this depth. I remember thinking when i reached the stalactites and floated amongst them that this was were the Mayan Gods lived and that i was meant to be there and felt somehow god like myself too. Clearly the effects of narcosis. But i was aware all the time and the ascent came soon enough (the whole dive, including safety stop of 5 minutes at the end lasts no more than 25-30 minutes). . When we came up my buddy was low on air but i still had 1,200 psi. Not an issue because there was a spare tank and regulator hanging from the boat for this eventuality. Highly recommended dive.

My only criticism is that nigh or sunset dives were not arranged. Now this is excusable because we only had 3 days of diving and when you have deep dives involved there is not a lot of flexibility in the schedule. Yet, if night dives were offered i might have stayed longer or i may decide to come another time.

They dive air only, nitrox is not provided, which when you have groups doing deep dives is understandable as you don´t want the groups to be separated (everyone is kind of in the same schedule in those deep dives).

Santiago the Dive Master and Luis the boat captain and dive master are great. Unfortunately the lodging part of the company needs a whole reset as that part was not enjoyable. See the review of the lodge separately.

All reviews
"mainland"
"expectations"
"atolls"

Reviewed 10 April 2018

My husband and I spent a week with Hurcan Dive Lodge in March 2018. It was fabulous! I knew I would love staying there even before we arrived because of the attention we received prior to arrival. Christian answered every email and ALL my questions (I had a LOT) the same day! I was so impressed. I was unsure where to stay while in the city, and Christian recommended that we stay for a night at the Ramada Princess Hotel. While the hotel is not the greatest, there was a/c, internet, hot showers, friendly staff and the best part was the Ramada is where the boat picks you up to go to Huracan. We were doing a Saturday to Saturday trip. We flew in on Thursday, spent two nights in Belize City (I don't recommend two nights as there is not a lot to do) and then left Saturday around 2:00 pm to go to Long Caye. Christian recommended we get DAN Insurance before we arrived, and I was happy we had it. After our welcome drinks we all showed our certification cards and filled out paper work for our insurance. Nothing crazy happened, but it is a 2 hour boat ride from the main land to long caye and if something WERE to happen, it's handy to have. When booking your flight to and from Belize - know that you're "safe" to arrive and leave the same day as the boat departure. We were worried we wouldn't be back to the mainland until later Saturday afternoon so we booked an evening flight, but didn't need to do that. We got to the city around 9:00 am, so an early afternoon flight wouldn't have been an issue.

Let me get to the good stuff: the staff! We were so happy with everyone we encountered during our stay. William and Danny took care of our tanks and all our equipment. Getting it from the boat to the dive shop and back and they were always so polite and eager to help and make sure everyone was okay. Our equipment was always ready to go and rinsed. William did a few snorkel tours which were super fun. Kareem was taking a couple on our trip through the rest of their Open Water Course, so we didn't get to dive with him as much. He also did a few snorkel tours, which I heard were pretty amazing. Minor and Jermaine spoiled us rotten with delectable food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I was shocked at the amount of food we ate and all the snacks that were always waiting for us after every dive. Alina was a delight in the kitchen and keeping the ecolodge tidy. Remember, this is an ecolodge, so at night be mindful of electricity. I honestly thought we would not have internet and not really be able to charge batteries or have lights. We brought back up batteries on top of back up batteries and didn't need them. Charging items during the day is not a problem, they just encourage you not to leave things plugged in when you don't need them and not to leave anything plugged in over night because that's when the lodge switches to a generator. I was surprised we had hot water (although it was a little spotty) and pleasantly surprised we all had fans in our rooms. The internet even worked for WhatsApp and iMessage. The composting toilets were awesome, and always kept clean. Everything was refreshed whenever you needed it. Moving on... Carlos and Luis manned the boat! We had a lot of switching around which was SO fun. Luis and Karim were also our dive masters. Luis is truly a man of nature and was a very thoughtful and attentive dive master. He also taught the group how to shimmy up a coconut tree, took us to see the red footed booties and gave us more coconut water than we could drink. Karim is a hoot and so much fun in the water. About mid-week when the open water diving for part of the group was over, Karim took over as DM and Luis switched back to being the Captain of the boat. I had a mild freak out before we did the Blue Hole and if it weren't for Karim, I probably would have stayed in the boat. My husband and I have our advanced cert., which made me feel more comfortable on some of the dives (because they were pretty deep) but honestly we knew we were in such good hands on every dive because each dive master and all the staff were checking and rechecking and just making sure everything is ready to go. I can't speak highly enough of how professional and genuinely nice everyone was. I was sad to say goodbye. The last thing I want to point out is the location. We did 3 dives a day while we were there (1 night dive - if that interests you, be sure to bring a light) and we were pretty much the only people on every dive. I am still amazed with the Blue Hole. Huracan is always the first boat there. I had heard stories from my friends who had gone about getting up at 4:30 in the morning to take a 3 hour boat ride to the Blue Hole just to do a dive that's around 28 minutes. Not the case with Huracan. We were the first divers in the water and were doing our last safety stop before I even saw anyone else. There really is something to be said about that. When we got to the Blue Hole I couldn't even believe we were there. It was this different shade of blue, in the middle of the ocean, with no other boats around... but when we came up, there were several boats that had anchored, so I could see that it gets busy. Hopefully I covered everything. I REALLY recommend Huracan. You get what you pay for and it's worth every penny. Luis, Karim and all the staff were AH-MAZ-ING! You will enjoy every minute... oh... and bring bug spray and tons of sunblock! :)

Reviewed 15 July 2017

We had a great experience diving and staying at Hurancan! Everyone is super friendly and helpful and they really want you have a good experience. The location is great for dive as it take a couple of minutes of boat ride to the reef. All the dive locations are fantastic. We saw sharks, turtles, eagles rays and a school of dolphins on the boat ride! Our dive master Allison and Luis are very friendly, careful and responsible to the environment. We felt very safe on all the dive. I feel very spoiled to have someone help us get all the gear ready on the dives, come back to fresh food, juice and snacks. The food was delicious and very generous protion size. The only down side is there's no AC and there are misquitos on the island (not in your rooms). But that's just how the island is. And it's totally worth it! I found their price is very resoonable comparing to other places too. We just booked another trip in October and can't wait to go back there!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 May 2016 via mobile

YOU ROCK!!! Wow! I have never had so much fun! These two Extraordinary, experienced dive masters and boat captains can be found within moments from the Itzalodge and they are VERY kind knowledgeable about both the dive sites and all of the underworld living reef and sea creatures. They are well prepared, for all day dives, they are very precise about their diving conditions, and if the conditions are not precise, they know of several more ;) Their dives are thorough and leisurely, with plenty of time for photos, lessons, and even assistance with accents and descents (including rapid accents if you have air trapped in your BCD ;). They have great hats and shirts for sale at their really stylish lodge. Always willing to help out and accomodate...extremely friendly and happy...willing to share their experiences...that made it personal and fun! I highly recommend Huracan!!! I will be back for certain! Thanks guys! Had a BLAST!