All reviews located centrally front desk staff rooftop terrace hot water the staff was friendly and helpful bed was comfortable mini fridge water taxi air con rooms are clean minute walk wi fi would stay again worked great middle of town small island nice room
Reviewed 9 July 2018

I stayed here for 4 nights in February. The location is good, only about a 5-minute walk from the ferry terminal. The lobby is unimpressive, just a coffee station, 2 chairs and 2 old sofas covered with dingy-looking sheets of questionable cleanliness. There is also a small outside seating area at the entrance to the hotel.

My room was medium size with a comfortable king-size bed. The bed sheets looked dirty and rumpled. There was a dresser, but no closet, hooks, or hangers, thus no place to hang any clothing. There was a refrigerator in the room, which was a plus. There was an old analog TV in the room. The hotel has DirectTV, so there were about 50-60 cable channels. The TV reception was good. The air conditioner in the room was a little noisy, but worked well.

The bathroom was modern and looked much newer than the room. It contained a glass-enclosed shower, but no tub. The water in the shower was only cold-to-lukewarm. However, it was so hot outside that this was not a problem for me. There is no shelf or place to sit any toiletries in the bathroom or shower-- not even a soap dish. I had to place my soap and shampoo on the floor while showering. There was no glass or plastic cup in the bathroom or elsewhere in the room.

My room had a small balcony overlooking the street. There was no view to speak of, but I enjoyed sitting out there despite the loud noise from a nearby island generator. However, I came back to my room one afternoon to find a dirty plate and used towel on the balcony that weren't mine. l assume the housekeeper must have eaten her lunch there. There are also small shared balconies on each floor.

The WiFi was free, but worked intermittently. This, however, may not have been the fault of the hotel, but rather of the island in general. They give you the most convoluted 13-character password I have ever seen in a hotel, and it changed every day. They give it to you on a teeny tiny piece of paper about 1/8'' wide, so I guess paper must be at a premium.

The rooftop terrace was very disappointing and uninviting. The only furniture was a bunch of picnic tables grouped together. There were no chairs or hammocks. No plants or flowers, and no shade whatsoever. They advertise that they have yoga classes there, but that is no longer true.

I was so disappointed with the hotel that I immediately started walking around the island looking for other accommodations. Unfortunately, the other hotels in the $90-$100/night price range were about the same caliber as The Plaza. A few were marginally better; a couple were decidedly worse. None were anything to brag about.

The staff at the front desk were personable but ill-informed. The clerk told me that I couldn't buy a bus ticket to Flores on the island, but had to go to the Belize City ferry terminal to purchase it. This is absolutely untrue. There are several agents along the beach that sell them. He also said you buy your ferry tickets on board the boat and that you can't buy them beforehand. Also not true. I bought mine on the island the day before departure.

This hotel was dusty, shabby, and overpriced, which was pretty indicative of Caye Caulker in general. I didn't enjoy my stay, and see no reason to return to this hotel or the island.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2018

Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel is a mid-range nice 3-star hotel with good service situated on the center of the small holiday island of Caye Caulker (pronounced as kee tsoker) in Belize and a stone’s throw from the Express Boat to Belize City.
The Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel is a nice, comfortable, clean, safe and quite hotel in Caye Caulker very close to practically everything in this small island of Belize at reasonable prices (Wi-Fi, Refrigerator, good working Air Condition).
The service of the personnel was really very good and the front desk friendly and helpful.
The charging possibilities were a bit limited (multiple plugs for charging devices and not in practical spots) but in general the situation was satisfactory.
Summing up I liked my stay at Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel in Caye Caulker in Belize (good value for money) and my stay was enjoyable although the sea grass had covered the beaches of the island and I would stay again if the opportunity arises.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are quieter
  • Stayed: April 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed 23 May 2018

This hotel seems to cater for tour groups, so the staff here don't have to be particularly friendly or helpful. So they aren't. The sullen and surly young man who checked us in was so bad, I wanted to immediately leave. One of the sourest hotel employees I have met in many years of travel, and not a good reflection on Caye Caulker or Belize. Noisy air-con, and so many things in my room didn't work. And were never fixed. Rdeeming point? Well, location is OK, if a little noisy, it's close to the Coco King ferry.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

We visited a few months ago and loved it. Center of the island 1 block off the main street. Close to where the terminal. It was a great place to relax. The room was one of best that we stayed in, In all of Belize. Stayed in belize for 22 days.

I loved the stay would 1000% stay there again.

I liked the walk to and from the bars and restaurants.

Perfect location. The grocery store is across the road. There is a fry jack place a block away. 2.50 breakfast. Can't beat it.

Loved loved loved it.

Honestly great place.

Traveled as a couple. Stayed 4 nights. 3rd level. Highly recommend.

Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2018

We were traveling as part of a group and stayed for 3 nights. The room was tired at best, truly it was far below standard and unclean. One bed had dirty sheets so used the other, the bathroom was pretty dire too. I was on the 3rd floor facing back which was ok, but parties being held in other rooms were not managed by staff so not much sleep. Cockroaches in the room. The manager was kind enough to move us to the other hotel building on the opposite side of the street for the last night, this was great! Clean, the pipes didn't give off a stench and a good nights sleep was had.

Room Tip: ask for room on opposite side of the street building from the main hotel, face away from the street if it's a party weekend :)
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends