“Fun place to spend a day”
Review of Arapahoe Park

Arapahoe Park
Ranked #8 of 21 things to do in Aurora
Reviewed 23 May 2017

We really enjoy this place. We usually don't gamble much but enjoy bringing friends here to just sit, eat, talk and watch the horses. It is really neat that you can sit outside and watch the horses come in. We usually spend the entire day on $40 and have a blast!

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"dog"
"middle"

Reviewed 10 September 2016

I went with a group that I belong to. We had reserved seating - it was very congenial. The food was ok.

Reviewed 26 August 2016

Coming from north metro, it’s quite the drive. Not a drive I’d want to make every week, which I know is the point (trying to make gambling hard to get to). Lots of parking. I’ve only been to one other horse racing track, Retama Park in Selma (San Antonio), TX. So…I was expecting something like that – stadium seating outside. I was very surprised to see the outdoor area was just – an open area for standing around. There are a few concrete benches scattered about and a few tables, but that’s it. I noticed people brought their own collapsible chairs. So everybody hangs out in the shade pre-race, then everybody moves to the fence to watch during the race. I did like that the pre-race viewing of the horses was right next to the track so you could easily walk over, hear about the horses, then just walk back to watch the race. It was hot the day we went. I did not want to be standing for hours, so we went inside.

The inside was nice. Well, the lobby areas feel older, probably due to the drab, institutional beige coloring. But the inside stadium seating was nice, seemed newer. We were glad for the air conditioning, but to me it felt weird to be inside watching the races, instead of outside. Lots of tables and TVs in the interior spaces for watching with quick access to the betting windows.

The main issue with this track is – the seating is on one side only, opposite the starting side. You can’t see through the middle across to the other side because of the stats board and trees – so you can’t see the horses take off. ESPECIALLY if you’re outside, level with the track. And if you look at the other reviewer’s photo from the inside – if you’re sitting level with a horizontal beam, you can’t see across to the other side, either. Whereas if there were outdoor stadium seating and you were elevated, you would be able to see the starting gate. So the cool thing when you’re outside in the standing area is you’re close to the racers when they’re done and returning. But the bad thing is you can’t see most of the race, happening on the other side of the track.

The snacks seemed somewhat decently priced. We all got ice cream in big waffle cones ($4 each)...but the ONLY flavors were chocolate and vanilla. Even though it’s a gambling atmosphere and there’s alcohol, it’s definitely family friendly, lots of kids.
If it’s busy, be patient leaving the parking lot. There’s only one way out!

Since it’s such a long drive for us, it’s not something we’ll do all the time. But we enjoyed seeing the horses and trying to pick our winners. We’ll be back!

Reviewed 24 August 2016

You can't see the backstretch!!!! The absence of enough seats outdoors. Inside it's dated and dumpy.

1  Thank mike d