“Friendly and good choice of food.”
Review of Cafe Deluxe

Cafe Deluxe
Ranked #373 of 3,559 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Recommended by Fairmont when we wanted somewhere to grab brunch. Great choice of breakfasts plus a kids menu and activity sheet (always a bonus). Free coffee refills and lovely food, some healthy choices too. we ended up having dinner here a couple of times too when we couldn't find anywhere else and weren't disappointed. The staff were really friendly and service good. Overall good value for money.

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Fairmont recommended. Mid afternoon, not busy. . Not sure if waiter doesnt wait on white couples... or has contempt for women (me) but I have never before experienced such ...anywhere. I asked for water with lemon, got water. When he finally took our order, 20 minutes later ( again not busy there) I asked (again)for lemon for the water (to mask city water taste) he acknowledged and disappeared.. Ten or fifteen more minutes went by and as i suggested to my husband that we walk out... our lunch was delivered by someone else who asked if we would like anything else. I explained that i had asked for lemon TWICE? He left and first waiter with bad attitude appeared with 4 slices on a plate. He never reappeared to ask how things were, or to refill water glasses, etc, or to ask if we wanted anything else...just presented bill much later. It was not busy. No excuse. STAY AWAY.

We LOVED Grill Fish restaurant around the corner tho. Son had steak. What a difference!

Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

Open late into the evening when we couldn't find a place to eat. The atmosphere is comfortable and nice, out laid back at the same time. Good was average but very reasonably priced for DC. Super close to the White House and other buildings. Good place to take a family or meet friends that won't break the bank.

Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

It’s not easy to ignore a party of nine that arrives early for an early reservation to a then-half empty restaurant, but that’s exactly what this place did. Our waitress vanished about 45 minutes in (to be sporadically replaced by one of the managers) and more than 90 minutes in, our entrees were nowhere to be seen. The drinks came one at a time and with long delays between each one. Parties around us all seemed to be served promptly. No apology. No credit (other than the undelivered food). What food had been delivered (kids meals, appetizers) was okay but letting little kids sit there waiting forever for the grownups to be served and not serving our 88-year old matriarch is completely unacceptable. Walk across the street to the Cactus Cantina instead.

3  Thank NickK7501
Reviewed 11 January 2018

This is a neighbourhood place with a retro feel situated near the National Cathedral. We were there for a late lunch and this time the place has a clientele drawn largely from the nearby residential buildings. On school holidays the place is often full of kids having lunch or dinner with grandparents. My cousin, who lives here, knew half the people who entered the restaurant. I gather that breakfast and brunch would draw a more diverse crowd.

The menu is American comfort food well done in our estimation. On Wednesdays they have all their burgers on sale for $8 at lunch so burgers it was. As a vegetarian, I have been on the hunt for a thoughtfully constructed veggie burger that doesn't just look for a substitute for a meat patty and that hold together when you try to eat it. (Most veggie burgers fall apart in your hands.) This one stood up pretty well. It hung together in the eating and was very tasty, served with a chipotle spread and fresh arugula. I ordered the optional sweet potato fries for a dollar extra and was not disappointed. It is no mean trick to get sweet potato fried crisp and these very very crisp.

My lunch mates also enjoyed their food, one meat burger (the Porter Burger) and one potato leek soup that was thick and velvety and accented with some cheese. We had a brief conversation with the manager who talked about the process of creating their 20 ingredient burger. As a vegetarian I would have appreciated a few more vegetarian options. The burger was the only entree and their were some soups and salads. For a vegetarian, breakfast or brunch might be the best bet for a return visit.

Service was prompt and friendly. People recognised my cousin. Timing on the food was appropriate for the quality.