“Great theater space”
Review of Howard Theatre

Howard Theatre
Ranked #233 of 493 things to do in Washington DC
Reviewed 28 May 2017

Loved it! We were there for a private party. Thought it was one of THE best venues we visited in DC. Classic old theater - nicely remodeled with good sound, and lots of comfortable booth seating - even in the balconies. Wish more theaters/investors had this kind of vision!

Reviewed 27 April 2017

To me the food and drinks are way over priced. The drinks are just average but too much. The food came out pretty quick. It wasn't all that hot though. The pizza was ok, pork nachos mediocre, mumbo wings good, but the best thing we got was the jerk shrimp. The show was awesome though.

Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

I haven't been here in many years. And once I got there I remembered why. The Staff. The food is ok. But I expected ok food from this venue so that wasn't the surprise. If it weren't for the artist I wanted to see(Toddrick Hall) we wouldn't have gone. A waitress from another section had to help us. I wish I knew her name. She was amazingly sweet. They didn't have some of the things we wanted to order. And don't ask for direction because the staff just looks at you like you're interrupting them from I'm not sure but it looks like nothing. They opened the doors over 20 min late. All and all. Unless it's an artist that I really want to see. Howard Theater will not be on my list to visit. Which is a shame because it holds so much beautiful history. And that alone should be something the staff us proud to where on their shoulders.

1  Thank Consuella Y
Reviewed 17 April 2017

The music was fantastic! But the service was just horrible. We arrived at 12:30 to get good seats for a 1:30 show. We were at our seats by 12:45 and a waiter came over in due course. By 2:15 - we still did not have our food. NOTHING. Around 1:45 I walked to the kitchen door and begged for some rolls or something -- and they gave me some nachos. When food did arrive
- we did not have any silverware and I had to ask FOUR people before we got any. Nobody ever came back to refill our waters or ask if we wanted another drink. Even after the show - it was a mess - 30 min after the show we were still trying to settle our bill. So frustrating. I complained to the waiter several times - and he apologized -- but thats it. Service Charge was included -- so thats, that.

The food was fine -- limited menu and I typically don't eat fried food -buts thats about all they had - but I knew that going in. What I ate tasted good.

2  Thank BillPatton
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 February 2017

Howard Theatre was an historical landmark built 1910nto serve black artists and entertainers during the days where blacks had no venues to show their works. At present, At present (since 2012) it is alive and active with shows and performance from various artists. The Theatre was registered as "National Register of Historic Landmark in 1974 (according to the information from the history of the Theatre) and is situated in the heart of U Street neighborhood in N.W, Washington D.C. near Howard University. It can be easily reached by Metro and buses.