“Gospel Brunch”
Review of Howard Theatre

Howard Theatre
Ranked #233 of 493 things to do in Washington DC
Reviewed 17 April 2017

The music was fantastic! But the service was just horrible. We arrived at 12:30 to get good seats for a 1:30 show. We were at our seats by 12:45 and a waiter came over in due course. By 2:15 - we still did not have our food. NOTHING. Around 1:45 I walked to the kitchen door and begged for some rolls or something -- and they gave me some nachos. When food did arrive
- we did not have any silverware and I had to ask FOUR people before we got any. Nobody ever came back to refill our waters or ask if we wanted another drink. Even after the show - it was a mess - 30 min after the show we were still trying to settle our bill. So frustrating. I complained to the waiter several times - and he apologized -- but thats it. Service Charge was included -- so thats, that.

The food was fine -- limited menu and I typically don't eat fried food -buts thats about all they had - but I knew that going in. What I ate tasted good.

2  Thank BillPatton

Reviewed 19 February 2017

Howard Theatre was an historical landmark built 1910nto serve black artists and entertainers during the days where blacks had no venues to show their works. At present, At present (since 2012) it is alive and active with shows and performance from various artists. The Theatre was registered as "National Register of Historic Landmark in 1974 (according to the information from the history of the Theatre) and is situated in the heart of U Street neighborhood in N.W, Washington D.C. near Howard University. It can be easily reached by Metro and buses.

Reviewed 24 January 2017

This review will be only about the food service and the not the concert. We went for the Harlem Gospel Choir Brunch. The Howard Theater is a fine venue for music, but it meal service is truly lacking.
There is a $20 minimum for food and beverage for the brunch. That would be fine if the food and service were better. They seem to be seriously understaffed. It was hard to get refills on coffee or water. I ordered the Southern Fried Chicken. What I got was similar to what passes for fried chicken at Cracker Barrel--strips of chicken deep fried. The accompanying eggs and home fries were cold and tasteless.
The Howard Theater needs to work on its food service--or drop its food minimum--if it wants to hold a loyal audience.

1  Thank sptravelers5
Reviewed 18 January 2017

We went too the Freddie Jackson concert and he put on a great show we got there about 7 and it open for guess at 6 for will call. My hubby ordered a drink and i ordered wings so when she brought my hubby drink she told me that they was out if wings but have a substitute. so i said okay when she brought them to me they was nothing like the real wings they was advertising. they look more like bird wings they was not worth the 10.00 I paid. she also took 38 minutes to come back to ask my hubby do he want a refill and we was sitting right in front of the bar. This place is so unorganized and small.

1  Thank Gee1227201230