“Disappointing”

Hill Country Barbecue Market
Reserve with OpenTable
Hill Country Barbecue Market is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #187 of 3,465 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$30 - US$31
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between D and E
Transit: We are within walking distance of the red, green, yellow, blue and orange lines.
Description: Hill Country is coming to DC! Named "Best Barbecue in NY" by both New York Magazine and Time Out New York, "Top 10 Barbecue in the U.S." by the Wall Street Journal and "Best New Restaurants of the Year" by New York Magazine, Hill Country takes its "cue" from legendary Texas barbecue joint Kreuz Market and its distinctive dry-rub style. Hill Country's brisket, sausage, ribs and other meats are smoked low and slow over Texas post oak. The barbecue is served in butcher paper, counter-style by the pound, with traditional trimmings.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

After reading so many excellent reviews we were expecting to be really impressed however left feeling disappointed, perhaps more to do with the fact that our expectations were different rather than it being a terrible restaurant. The meat was tender and OK but we weren't keen on the rather chaotic feel to the place and having to eat out of the paper it was wrapped in. I'm sure others who knew what to expect would love it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,101)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Went here with the whole family. I can tell you it's the best BBQ pork I've ever eaten. The service was fantastic, it was clean, the food was excellent, and the prices were reasonable, but not much in DC is cheap. The décor on the inside was interesting as well. You won't wish you went somewhere else...

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Just Good. It was little pricey and it was good Texas style BBQ. The service is mostly self-service, except for alcohol, and that service was not very timely but the staff were friendly.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had TA`ed this joint prior to my recent visit to DC, mostly for its novelty value and because it seemed like a good location for an early tea whilst waking around central DC.
Sounded good, picking out fresh meat, by weight, to see it being cooked in front of you in a lively relaxed environment. Wrong! When my wife and I went to the meat section of the restaurant, we found that the few meats available had already been pre-cooked and were just sitting on a hot plate. Still, we made our choices and got the other sides and extras included in the meal deal and returned to our table. Then the next surprise. All the meat portions we had picked between us- pulled pork; beef brisket and pork ribs ALL smelt and tasted of some sort of petroleum product. Am guessing maybe BBQ lighter fuel had been applied in large amounts when the meat had originally been cooked, when ever that was. Despite the lashings of BBQ sauce we applied, the petrol taste just would not go away. In fact after we had finished the meal we started to feel a bit queasy later on.

Paid for our meals and left without making a fuss, knowing that we will never be back to sample this BBQ event again. I would advise you to do the same!

Betty H, Guest Relations Manager at Hill Country Barbecue Market, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi there, we're really sorry to hear about your experience and would like the opportunity to make this right. Can you please email info@hillcountrywdc.com with reference to your review so that our management team can follow up directly? Thank you!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I liked this place. If you're looking for country atmosphere, then this is the place for you. If you're looking for tasty BBQ food, then this place is for you.

Ate lunch here. The Staff were all very pleasant and courteous. The food was great. Slightly pricey (but that's DC). The brisket was probably the best I've ever had, anywhere, ever. Loved it. I will say that the sides were rather small portions. That was really the only negative, if you want to call it a negative.

I'll go back next time I'm in DC.