“A Beautiful Tribute to AfricanAmericans”

National Museum of African American History and Culture
Book In Advance
More Info
US$69.00*
and up
Washington DC Hop-on Hop-off Bus Tour and...
Ranked #14 of 492 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed 19 April 2018

I was very much taken by the way the history is laid out. The original artifacts add to the story. The actual Emacipation Proclamation is on display. My granddaughter loved the stories that went along with the bronze figures and the actual cabins the slaves lived in. While i am not of African descent i could appreciate the struggle.

Ask_NMAAHC, General Manager at National Museum of African American History and Culture, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2018

Thank you for letting us know about your recent visit to the NMAAHC. We are excited to hear that our service met your expectations, and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Our goal is to provide exceptional customer service. Based on the events you described, we met this goal. Again, thank you for visiting NMAAHC and submitting a comment.

NMAAHC Visitor Services

Write a ReviewReviews (2,288)
All reviews
in 32 reviews
"emotional experience"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed 19 April 2018

What a wonderful museum! The 3 lower floors of African-American history are extremely well done though the walk through is very saddening. There is a contemplative room with waterfall at the exit to decompress, which I needed. The upper floors are culture with a lot of emphasis on music and sports--also really well done. Fantastic experience! We had not even tried to get advance passes so we just waited in line and got in after about an hour wait. This was a Friday morning in early April. You may not be as lucky as we were; I understand it can be difficult to get an advance pass.

1  Thank ronl645

Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

This is a wonderful, much needed, informative and moving museum experience. Yet I give it 4 stars, not five, for the amount of stress getting tickets cost me. Because it’s such a popular venue, you must plan at least three months in advance to be sure you will get in. And that would be on the first Wednesday of a month when tickets are first available for three months later. So I was out of luck on that front. You can try to get tickets at 6:30 am online on the day of your visit but again, this doesn’t work because I suspect there are some ticket bots that electronically scoop up the tickets before a human is able to. I monitored this option for weeks before I went and there was never any possibility to select a ticket. Finally you can stand in line at 1:00 pm the day of your visit but be aware that it’s a very long line at that time. I got in by serendipity—at opening time I went to the entrance where tour busses (more on that later) come in and the particular tour bus coming in had three tickets available from no shows so the museum personnel gave them to me. What luck—nice people! If you haven’t planned that far ahead, my recommendation is to find a tour that includes the museum. You won’t get as much time in the museum as it requires, but it’s probably the most sure-fire option.
Now the museum: there is much to see and read; I recommend reading about the history of enslaved people in the Americas before you go so you can focus on the artifacts and historical layout as you wind your way up from early history (on the ground floor where the elevator takes you—all visitors interested in the history are directed to start there via an elevator). As you rise (get it?) to the upper level, you get to the most recent history, which I found particularly moving. The upper levels of the museum are devoted to sports, historical and entertainment artifacts—typical idea for the “Smithsonian attic” of the US. It took me three hours to get through the history so I didn’t have time for the upper levels. I’ll have to go back—with better planning next time! One more recommendation: the cafe at the museum is pretty good. They serve cuisine from all parts of the US inspired by African American culture. And I love that the cafeteria has a huge mural of the Greensboro five at the lunch counter watching you! So definitely do visit the museum—just realize that due to its popularity, a visit is an exercise in crowd control (even the gift shop had regulated entry).

2  Thank ONCSail

Thank you for letting us know about your recent visit to the NMAAHC. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and concerns. Again, thank you for visiting NMAAHC and submitting a comment.

Reviewed 19 April 2018

You have to book in advance, 6:30am bookings can be made, but they run our fast. Additional entries allowed as walk up @ a certain time.
This museum is amazing, I spent 4.5 hours here & it wasn't enough.
So much to see & learn about, a really fascinating museum.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 April 2018

My mom wanted to see this on her 84th birthday so we made it happen. It was amazing and sad all wrapped in some up and down emotion. Everyone should see this.

1  Thank Chaun M