National Museum of African American History and Culture
Book In Advance
More Info
US$69.00*
and up
Washington DC Hop-on Hop-off Bus Tour and...
Ranked #14 of 492 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Both my husband and I attempted to get same day tickets online at 6:30 am. I did manage to get into the system and proceeded to order tickets but was stopped from finalizing the transaction because my mac browser, Safari, blocked me. This happened to me twice. My husband has a pc and was never able to even attempt to get any tickets. All of the tickets were gone in about two minutes. We weren't ready to give up so we got in line at 11:50 am for the 1:00 tickets. The family in front of us in line said they attempted to get tickets online that morning and were unable to do so just like us. At 1:00 the staff promptly began giving out the tickets. The line moved quickly and we were able to enter the museum in a short time. It was much easier to just go stand in line instead of the frustrating 6:30 am computer online experience. IMPORTANT: Walk-up tickets are only available on weekdays. The museum itself was well worth the wait!!!

5  Thank CaJeMc
Ask_NMAAHC, Owner at National Museum of African American History and Culture, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Thank you for letting us know about your recent experience with NMAAHC. We are excited to hear that our museum met your expectations, and appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns.
Our goal is to provide exceptional customer service. Based on the events you described, we met this goal. Again, thank you for visiting NMAAHC and submitting a comment.
NMAAHC Visitor Services

Write a ReviewReviews (2,281)
All reviews
in 32 reviews
"emotional experience"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We felt lucky to snag same day tickets, and planned to spend the day. But it is really too much to take in, in one day. We spent about 2 hours spiraling up through the history levels. Note: there are NO bathrooms in the lower section. You have to go up to ground level and then they expect you to reenter at the beginning (which is a large elevator to the bottom level. (We ignored the "Exit Only" sign and returned down to where we left off.) The museum is wonderful and meant for all ages. Some of it is hard to read/remember. I felt quite sad for quite a while. We ate lunch in the cafeteria. A bit pricey but really good entrees from different US regions focusing on African American cuisine. I had stuffed trout which came with a choice of several sides. A bit salty, but good. After lunch we visited parts of the culture floors. They are of course more upbeat, though discrimination as a problem in sports, music, etc. is not ignored.

I'm a bit bothered by the fact you have to be tech savvy to grab tickets. I see they will experiment with "ticket-free" Wednesdays this month, so maybe as the crowds thin, online reservations won't be required. You CAN walk up to see if there are spots available, but for most travelers desiring to see the museum, the 6:30 grab your tickets online is the way to go if you can't reserve tickets months ahead.

2  Thank BrewsMom

Reviewed 3 April 2018

I love this place. The museum triggered alot of emotions, there were tears and cheers. Love the musuem shop and will be returning.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Must see see great museum original artifacts excellent exhibits true American Smithsonian history will definitely go back again and again...to experience the BEST and worst of America!

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Admittedly this wasn't a must visit on my trip to DC, but rather than revisit some of my favorite museums I figured why not.

I recommend at least 4 hours to do the museum properly. I was rushed and did not have that amount of time.

First, I must thank one of the women working the entrance. I did not pre-reserve a ticket and of course there were no daily tickets available when I walked up. When I asked if there was any way to get in she was incredibly nice and allowed me and two others without tickets come to the museum.

The museum is divided into two primary sections. Below Ground - AA history going back to Columbus days and the beginning of the slave trade and above the main floor which is focused on arts, music, sports and business genres and the AA community.

There was a short line, about 20 minutes to visit the history section on the three levels below ground. I would have waited an hour after visiting.

I am white, but the history and information I never knew about the global slave trade and about slavery til the Civil War, the Jim Crow period post war and the Civil rights movement was amazing. Books and textbooks can only do so much.

This part of the museum is purposely dark as you feel the somberness of the history.

My only two negatives:

I would have loved to have seen more space dedicated to MLK.

The museum flow after the first section on pre revolutionary slavery is a tad cumbersome to navigate. You basically need to zig zag through the exhibits rather than a straight line or even meandering flow. Sometimes you wonder where to go next.

The upper floors are great to relive and see artifacts from great sport, business, music and theatrical artists.

2  Thank Ty L