Lock in the lowest price from these sites
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed February 16, 2024

The Lodge has the advantage of the most spectacular location possible. The suites are suitably luxurious and tasteful, and the small gym and spa lovely. The overall experience could be improved, however.

The staff are very junior, particularly in the restaurant; service is mostly enthusiastic but sometimes bordering on incompetent, with long waits to take our first orders (including for drinks) at dinner (forty minutes from the time of sitting to the first drink, with a planned night tour), occasionally forgotten requests. As a small example of service quality, one of us asked if it would be possible to ask the kitchen for a simple banana split instead of the proferred dessert (we specified just a banana sliced in two with icecream would be great) - the waiter said he didn't think the kitchen could do it, and said there were no bananas available. I pointed out there were bananas in the fruit bowl! He then offered to bring a banana from the fruit bowl to us, and icecream in a separate bowl. It would have been nice if he could have just asked the chef/kitchen staff, rather than blanket-refusing.

This would be fine at a 4-star hotel/middle-of-the-road restaurant, but Southern Ocean Lodge prides itself on being special. At similar level accommodation in Australia (including Baillie Lodge's own Capella on Lord Howe Island), we have encountered much more positive hospitality. We have never ventured asking for anything more than a banana split or steamed greens, and these have become one of our benchmark tests for hospitality!

We returned feedback via email as requested, and received what appeared very much to be a generic reply from the managers (who we never met. I think John was hovering on our day of departure). Perhaps the leisurely/unreponsive service at least is a teething problem.

Lovely spot, worth returning just for the location, but the sort of place that is very special without ever having made us feel particularly special. (We can cope with this, of course, realising our place in the world, but it IS nice to feel special!) Southern Ocean Lodge is 'Very Good' by virtue of its location, history, and construction, but it is unfortunately not quite 'Excellent' in its execution.

Date of stay: February 2024
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Visitor037
Baillie Lodges, Owner at Southern Ocean Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2024

Dear Visitor 037

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Southern Ocean Lodge. We’re thrilled that overall you had a lovely time at the lodge and could freely praise its spectacular location.

Naturally, we’re sorry that we missed the mark in some respects and your considered feedback is welcomed to help guide us on what’s working and what’s not…

We appreciate your frustration with your experience in the restaurant. Having reopened to an extremely busy time, the lodge team is still finding its feet and many aspects of the guest experience including the nuance of Baillie Lodges’ service style continue to be refined. Your comments have been immediately taken onboard for improvement.

We hope to have the chance to redeem your opinion on a future stay and to fulfil your expectations with flying stars.

Best wishes
Team SOL

Reviewed February 2, 2024

Our stay was an absolutely wonderful experience. Lodge is stunning; rooms gorgeous with breathtaking views. Food excellent, lived open bar & wine pairings. Tours great with very knowledgeable guides - saw incredible Kangaroo Island & lots of wildlife. Outstanding!

Date of stay: January 2024
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2023 via mobile

We had an incredible family vacation at the Southern Ocean Lodge. The rooms are modern, comfortable, and simply stunning. We stayed at the Osprey Suite - it is spectacular!
Some of the highlights: the open bar, the delicious food, and the superb tour guides (Tash and Katlin in particular were super knowledgeable, professional, and friendly). I highly recommend a treatment at the SPA with Georgia who is the best masseuse I have ever had. My husband also had a massage with Georgia and he said the same.
We loved the Wonders of KI, the nocturnal tour, the e-bike ride to Hanson cove, and the southern sundowner experience. I highly recommend the Southern Ocean Lodge and can’t wait to come back.

Room tip: Kids love the Little Sahara. The Toboggan is probably safer than the sand-boards.
Date of stay: December 2023
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2020

I (as well as others in my group) was so excited to visit the Southern Ocean Lodge (SOL) for my third time. Our main reason for visiting Australia is to stay here, to enjoy this lodge and see Kangaroo Island. We arrived on January 2 and really enjoyed the afternoon hiking some trails and walking the beach. We enjoyed the evening visiting with kangaroos and kanapes, then a wonderful dinner.

At least we had one day to experience the beauty that we had enjoyed in previous visits. None of us could believe that such an amazing place could be devistated by the bushfires.

I have to say that the staff (Allison and John and many others) did an awesome job during a time of unbelievable stress. The employees are definately professionals. They made sure that all of the guests were safe and taken care of. My hopes and prayers are that Ballie Lodges does rebuild, so many more people can experience this magical place.

Date of stay: January 2020
6  Thank mgdevine
Reviewed January 7, 2020

It is hard to write this as the day we departed Kangaroo Island and SOL suffered from the fires. This is the most magical enchanting beautiful place. The setting is just gorgeous, the rooms are (were) beautiful and the service was impeccable yet so friendly at the same time, we were all on a first name basis. The food was delish. The experiences that we did were amazing, and I shudder to think how what we saw looks like now. It truly was so filled with animals, and I am praying that the animals that were hurt and survived are being well cared for at the sanctuary. I have been trying to raise money on facebook and have contributed. The nocturnal tour was fantastic as was the Kangaroos and Kanapes. Also our massages were excellent. I cannot say enough about SOL, I hope you rebuild and I vow to come back. You are constantly in my thoughts. xo

Date of stay: January 2020