“Decent dinner - but I missed the little extra touch”
Review of Ochsen Landgasthof

Ochsen Landgasthof
Reviewed 28 January 2018

Given the positive reviews hereunder, I was looking forward to enjoying an excellent dinner. However, I left Ochsen with slightly mixed feelings. All in all I had a “decent” dinner - i.e. definitely not bad, but I missed the extra touch of passion.

The setting cannot be blamed: Ochsen is an impressive and beautiful Emmental house as in a postcard. The dining room is pleasant and cozy, boasting a very “gemütlich” atmosphere. Needless to say, everything is spotlessly clean.

The waitress was polite but not overly friendly. She did her job properly but I missed the extra touch of genuine hospitality.

The short menu puts focus on traditional Swiss specialties. As starter the Winter salad - seasonal green salad with cashew nuts, clementines, balsamic vinegar and olive oil - was fresh and tasty.
As main course I had the traditional “Kalbsleberli mit Rösti” - sliced veal liver with Rösti. It was tasty but the presentation must be improved. Indeed, my plate reminded me of a school canteen! On one side a splash of sliced veal drowned in sauce, on the other side a gargantuesque slice of rösti! Last but not least, the waitress took out my starter plate...and immediately brought me the main course: I would have appreciated a slower rhythm!
As dessert the plum sorbet with plum brandy was refreshing and flavourful.

In high-price Switzerland the bill remained rather moderate: CHF72 including 2dl wine. Had there been more “passion” in the food and service, I would have rated my dinner with 4 stars.

2  Thank q-sto

Reviewed 19 December 2016

non-spectacular but genuine tasteful cooking in an authentic place. Friendly and professional service. We were 4 people - each having a different menu. The overall comments were very positive. Constant level of fine, traditional dishes, for now many years

Reviewed 16 October 2016

The Restaurant Ochsen, located in the well-known town of Lützelflüh, near Bern, is always worth a visit. We enjoyed the seasonal Rehpfeffer (Roe deer). Looking at the decorations and exhibitions in the hallways, I was impressed with their own in-house history but also with their little exhibition of the Anabaptist’s 2007 Year, including some pictures of North American Amish history. The Rev. Jeremias Gotthelf, who wrote many a book with local stories, used to visit here. The building itself is one of the older Restaurants in the Emmental. Looking around you will quickly notice the old architecture, the wood paneling with historical exhibits.
Last but not least, the two meals we enjoyed were perfectly done. The game with the new wine (Suser) contributed to our pleasure. The roe deer pepper version was served with spaetzli, plums, red cabbage, champions, Brussel sprouts, cranberry, Maroni, onions and cranberries. This is a typical local meal during hunting seasons.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had our Wedding Dinner in February 2013 there..
It was an awesome atmosphere and the staff was very welcoming..
The Food, everything from the Farm next door, it was just amazing..
Well the only thing could be the price.. But for the food that you eat its Ok!

Reviewed 11 September 2013

As we were stuck in the traffic on the highway we decided to do a little excursion to Ochsen.
We have been here a couple of years ago and it's still amazing food.
The Rösti is the speciality of the house and it comes with most dishes. This time we had Veal liver and the Geschnetzeltes from 3 different meat (kind of a ragout) in a special Beer sauce.
Last time we had Chauteaubriand which was fantastic as well.
Very good wine selection as well, we prefered beer as they have the Burgdorfer beers (small brewery not far away).
Portions are big and prices good.