“Casual drinks with an old friend”
Review of The Wharf Tavern

The Wharf Tavern
Ranked #77 of 189 Restaurants in Mooloolaba
Price range: US$12 - US$27
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The views from the Wharf tavern dining spaces are simply phenomenal. With an excellent riverside view of the shimmering Mooloolah River from both the bistro and alfresco dining on the deck, the 240 seat bistro is an excellent choice for your next meal, function or event, day or night. Our diverse menu and daily specials include fresh local seafood and breads, Graziers steaks, tapas selections and delicious desserts. All meals are perfectly complimented by a selection from our extensive beer and wine menu at the bar.
Reviewed 20 February 2018

Arrived around lunch time, and managed to get a table with stools beside the window overlooking the River & across to the expensive homes on the island - great location. Tables were available inside in the airconditioing, or outside on the boardwalk which on a nice day would be the pick.

Whilst quite a few diners eating lunch, the drink service was prompt with an extensive range of drinks available as you would expect from a tavern.

A large tavern with pokies, a tab, multiple bars with lots of free car parks available at the tavern or on street.

Not a bad location, and not as touristy as the Surf Club or the Mooloolaba Pub.

Reviewed 11 February 2018

Nice place to go for a beer and lunch on the river. Bistro style dining and good food, although nothing to really rave about. The staff were very friendly and we enjoyed a casual lunch watching the boats go by. The prawn salad looked superb! I wish I had ordered that. Next time! The fish and chips were pretty average.

Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

Visited for lunch with family.
Very nice and was not let down.
Great staff and good value for money.
Been four times now and intend to keep returning.
Great place for a get together.

Reviewed 23 January 2018

I had a rump steak that I ordered Medium. On the menu it said it came with chips and salad but when ordering I asked if I could get vegies and this was done without extra cost. The steak was perfectly cooked and the vegies were quite good. I was impressed with the steak though. It was char grilled and was very juicy and NOT tough at all. Good job.

Reviewed 19 January 2018 via mobile

While visiting Mooloolaba and during one of my daily walks, I walked through this place to suss it out. It was late morning so the place was open but understandably empty.

Thought it could be on the “to do list”, was I wrong.

One night I decided to try this place for dinner. Walked in, I think there are three main areas. Bar to one side, restaurant to the other with outside tables to eat at.

The young guy who took the order was very friendly and professional.

Ordered the trawler for one/seafood platter. Cool, grabbed a schooner on my way to my table. Sat down did my thing and waited, finished off the schooner and waited a bit longer. The inside of the restaurant was 20% full. To be fair though, the table section outside was pretty much full.

By this stage (~30-40 mins) later, I started to pick up on a few things. I ended up walking up to the guy who originally served me and I asked for an update.

He asked the question to the chef, I got the impression they were still waiting to unload the prawns from the boat. Excuse my sarcasm here.

Shortly after what seemed some to be confusion, I ended up saying “cancel the order”, the same guy who took my order remained very professional, apologised and immediately gave me my refund. I got the impression this isn’t an uncommon scenario.

Reading the reviews here, I started to join the dots. Usually I read the reviews on trip advisor before I go to most places. I didn’t in this case, also I don’t necessarily take onboard every negative review. Because I know what some people are like. Ive read bad reviews before and have gone to the same place, only to have a great experience.

But reading some reviews and taking into account my experience, something isn’t working at this place.

Great location, layout but need more for it to be good.

1  Thank Justin R