“Hugely disappointing.”

Ranked #4 of 5 Restaurants in Histon
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I had heard so many great things about this refurbished pub that when a friend suggested going for her birthday lunch I lept at the chance. Sadly I was hugely disappointed. Firstly there is no waitress service in the bar which is fine but we then had to wait 15 minutes until the barman was free to take our order, despite only serving one other person and us all standing at the bar looking very bored. We explained we were all on the same table and would like our order all at the same time but my friend who's birthday it was had her main 20 minutes before anyone else. Our mains then arrived and the fourth person had to wait a further 10 minutes. As for the food, I had cod and it was really dry, not at all tasty and had either been cooked in extreme haste or overcooked - hard to tell but was completely overdone and very dry. The manager then came to apologise which was very much appreciated and we were offered a free drink to compensate but to be honest the damage had been done by then and my friends birthday lunch ruined. I can honestly say I won't be returning to the Boot anytime soon as lunch was a huge disappointment and very expensive. If I had to say one positive thing it would be that the decor is very nice.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The place has been nicely refurbished and the decor is delightful.

We arrived early and were told to sit down at the bar area and wait for a member of staff to take our drinks order. We were unfortunately forgotten about and I has to chase the staff to be finally seated at our table.

Once seated, we were looked after promptly and the waitress looking after us was attentive. We had the Cheese souffle as a starter, which I would highly recommend, it was light and delicious. Our mains were however nothing special (Suckling pig and Chicken), and while the meat was cooked well, the flavours were sadly a bit blend.

Would be happy to come back another time and try other dishes.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Held back saying anything until our second visit on Easter Saturday but now having had two lunches here feel in a position to be subjective about this very welcome addition to our local eating establishments.
So one weekday visit and another at the weekend, both I am happy to say well received with both food and staff.
The hospitality trade is notoriously difficult at keeping good staff and here they have certainly made an excellent start. Really from entering the building to departing one feels welcome and an interest in you as a person rather than a money machine. I only hope that they can continue to maintain this level of staff, it might be helped of course by the fact that they do impose a 10% service fee on both food and drinks which we are assured is given back to all members of staff. Whilst it is true that one can remove this I see no reason to do so whilst the service remains as good as it is.
The main dining area is full of light with good spaces between tables, even the tables for two are adequate and for once not all shoved in the dark corners.
Good variety of ales and wines although as usual the mark up on wines encourages one to weep, specially remembering that a further 10% will be added to your bill. Well run restaurants can make a very decent living from food and it continues to annoy me that they mark up really quite ordinary wines by I guess a factor of at least three.
The food is good, not outstanding but good, certainly good enough to want to come back.
Talking of "add ons" I am not sure why the pies are not served with a potatoes, they just come with beans. Add another £3.50 for potato and they are creeping towards £20 for a meat pie!
There are still a number of dishes for us to try so we will be returning certainly for lunch and hopefully for dinner if we can get a table!
Two car parks and very clean toilets.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Thought it was going to be amazing food, so may have been disappointing because of high expectations but it really wasn't very good. For how much you're paying for the food it should be so much better. Also they shouldn't bother offering vegan options when they are terrible! Fair enough if you can't cook good vegan food but don't put it on the menu. The steaks were small and there was nothing else on the plate which was like 'oh'. Booked 2 months ahead of time for a table of 8 and the table wasn't ready when we arrived and was a table for 6 not 8.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

A lovely pub which has recently re opened, had a great bottle of wine with fresh muscles, staff very friendly and nothing too much for them. Definitely returning for an evening meal with friends