“Over rated”

Ranked #2 of 33 Restaurants in Katherine
Price range: US$25 - US$51
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Dine under the stars in the tranquil surroundings of TOP DIDJ GROUNDS Watch the wallabies and hear the local wildlife in the surroundings reminiscent of an outback stockman's camp. In this wonderful atmosphere, enjoy your award winning camp oven meal by the camp fire, with Aborigine bush tucker flavours. This year, is a tribute to all Station Cooks- Past, present and future, and step back 100 years to a traditional Stockmans Camp for a Traditional Stew and Flash Damper and Billy Tea, polished off with Gem scones, native jam and fresh cream. Be entertained by great Aussie humour, true and not so true yarns, the good, the bad & some a little bawdy. Billy spinning competition for little and the grown up kids. Some diets can be catered, if booked in advance. We cook to bookings, so phone first. Open April until October each year, though restricted to Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday nights with Pandemic in Australia. BYO Alcohol.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Marksies was a nice experience but I would not do it again. I think it was over priced for what you get. I think to charge a 4yo $35 for a spoonful of stew and a piece of damper and one scone is a bit too much to be honest. Even for an adult I think $70 is too much for what you get. It was a lovely evening under the stars and some stories were good others boring, others interesting..... but definitely not value for money in my eyes.

Date of visit: August 2021
Geoff M, Owner at Marksie's Stockman's Camp Tucker Night, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

I see this is your first review on Tripadvisor and I am so glad they give me an opportunity to reply to reviews that are not entirely truthful.
Your insinuation that there was not enough food to feed a sparrow is completely untrue when you know for a fact that there was enough to feed a mob of turkeys.
Your family was offered seconds several times by myself and my staff which they all jumped at the offer.
Had your child not sulked and thrown a tantrum, she would have had ample opportunity to gorge. I had heaps of food leftover.
I cannot force a 4 year old to eat; that is up to the parents to supervise how much your children want to consume.
Your child won a prize billy spinning, rode the horses and played with green frogs but maybe our night should not be recommended in future to children under 5.
It is much more expensive to run my business in the NT compared to down south but our research shows we are very competitive compared to others with what we offer.
We are a very family friendly business.
When you do hour next review, try to be more honest in your review

Write a reviewReviews (242)

Reviewed 9 August 2021 via mobile

Really fun for families and couples/groups of friends. Photos don't do it justice it was a great night with yummy food. Hosts were so friendly and we had a good laugh..

Date of visit: August 2021
Marksies, Owner at Marksie's Stockman's Camp Tucker Night, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2021

Thank you so very much for your review. Fantastic. Glad you all had a good night, and we do meet some amazing people on their travels at our night. Great to hear their stories too and forge new friendships and share experiences. Cheers.

Reviewed 8 August 2021 via mobile

As soon as we booked Marksie and Penny were in touch to sort out dietaries...not what you'd expect in the outback! Dinner of stew with native ingedient aromats was complex and tasty. We were blown away that they made us GF damper roll- mine without dairy as well. Even had our own special GF gem scones which were fantastic... I can't remember the last time I had a scone?
So welcoming and they deliver their unique experience with passion... Great history thrown in too. Better plan your visit before they retire. A shout out to the local kids who did a great job on service as well. A memorable night! PS Bring a jacket if it's cool-you're out under the stars.

1  Thank SAgr8

Wow fantastic, thank you for the review. Was a pleasure to have you as our guests. Yes this is a piece of Australian outback history that is rare to experience. We take you back 100years to a Stockman's Camp on one of the huge stations of the time. Our stews are flavoured only with the Aussie Bush herbs so new tastes for some. We also sell an array of bush herbs and bush jams. only 7 weeks to go folks. Cheers

Reviewed 5 August 2021

We had a great night the other night at Marksies Bush tucker show. The food was yummy and we loved Marksies humour. Would thoroughly recommend this show

Date of visit: August 2021
Marksies, Owner at Marksie's Stockman's Camp Tucker Night, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2021

Thanks guys for fantastic review, very appreciated. we had an awesome night with you all, as our guests make the night! Glad you enjoyed the food, and my stories. Sadly this sort of night is a dying art and a large chunk of Australian history will be lost. Thank you for coming to share the night with us. Cheers.

Reviewed 4 August 2021

We had a really great night at Marksies last night. The stew was delicious, the damper was great and the scones were to die for. Marksie has some very funny tales to tell and is also very knowledgeable on the history of the area. All in all I would highly recommend going to one of Marksies Stockman Camp Tucker nights.

Date of visit: August 2021

Wonderful, thank you so very much for the awesome review. Appreciate you taking the time. I love telling our local story and the local Museum will show much more. I was honoured by our local Indigenous Women who took me out and taught me so much about the bush tucker so many years ago now, so I have had a great time perfecting the flavours to bring you all. Cheers.