“Great place for couple, family or friends”
Review of sally's restaurant

sally's restaurant
Ranked #9 of 27 Restaurants in Russell
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We would like to Thank you for your service over the last 19 years. We are now happy to advize you that we have SOLD. Sally and her team.
Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

Cute, rustic family-owned place with timeless, romantic view. Sit outside but have a jacket to shield the wind. Met the owner who is a delightful host. Service was a little slow, especially since we were one of only three parties there at 8:30pm, but that's part of the charm. This town only has 850 people living in it, so help surely must be hard to find.

Get the Calamari. One of the best I've ever had with great flavor and texture. Very fresh, as was the fish and chips. Clean tasting fish and batter. Could tell the oil is not overused. Lamb was good but I prefer rack of lamb, which for some reason was scarce in my two weeks in New Zealand.

Throughout New Zealand, I found that lamb rump and shoulder were plentiful, but the racks and chops were nowhere to be found. I wonder if it's a case of "the cobbler's kids not having good shoes," in that they ship out the prime cuts and consume the others in country? Or maybe New Zealanders prefer more well done lamb said n stews, etc? Would love any feedback on this from those who are in the know?

Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

Great place for an early morning Americano - beautiful view over the bay - friendly staff and great surroundings.

Reviewed 2 January 2017 via mobile

Had such a lovely evening with my fiance.
I mentioned to the waitress I felt like a yummy salad as it was extremely hot.
She helped me design my own add my own extras and it was delicious. She gave great advice on the dessert menu and we chose the biggest chocolate thing on the menu.
Her energy levels, smile, and manner really made it great, considering she was pregnant in the heat.
Highly recommended restaurant with yummy food and cakes.

sk1pro, Owner at sally's restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2017

Thank you so much for your kind wordes. Have a great year.
Giovanna still has another three months of work. She is a very lovely person.
Thank you again. Sally

Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

Great value delicious big breakfast and nice coffee. Only let down by taking the order and not writing the whole order down. One of us left without eating sadly.

So sorry your waitress let you down. I am glad you enjoyed your food. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Sally

Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

Had the big breakfast for $20. It was something I could have slapped together better myself. Poached eggs (which were ok), two slices of toasted white sandwich bread, two small dry sausages, some watery tinned baked beans, packaged butter sachet and potatoes. Would have been perfect at a truck stop but I expected much much better in a tourist destination like Russell. Kind of embarrassing when I think of tourists being given this. On the upside, the location is great, and service was quick even though they were very busy.

1  Thank chow018

So sorry we were not up to expectation. We have a great selection on the breakfast menu. Please return and try other options that may be better suited to you taste. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Sally